2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Closed Thread
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #61
cspradlin
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
I think it's amazing that somebody would pay a premium for what amounts to some stickers and other cosmetic crap.
My special edition was a Sahara for less than a Sport with the options I had chosen

But I got sooper-secrit deals through ENCS for one of 200 vehicles made and available to a select group.

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #62
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Stupid is or stupid does ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
And yet you bought another one...way to show those guys!
Um I never had any complaints on my 2008, the hood fluttered but nothing else I could complain about except when I bought the hood latches that were no good! My 2011 leaks like the roof isn't even there and YES I am looking to buy a 2012 because I really love Jeeps and read here alot of them don't have this problem so I am hopeful. I have no other complaints about my Jeep except the water leaking I do have several friends who have had warranty problems on there Jeeps and them as well as me are very tired of the Jeep SERVICE problem attitude!! This time I am buying the 2012 from a very good dealership and I hope it doesn't leak ! Now whats your excuse Dip Shuut ????
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #63
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

I called jeep and was given a case number, they called back the following day and said they were sorry for the ice build-up and that the ice smashes off my windshield but thats the design and it is what it is.

I told them that the photo on their jeep website shows the call of duty with a vent in the hood to prevent the water buildup "and its not the AEV power dome hood" because theres no side vents! I was told if my hood was missing parts my dealership should fix it.

By the way, the call of duty shown on there website two weeks ago appeared to be an AEV hood because it did have the side vents but this week its a different picture with just the top vent/drain. " I have both printouts"

Thanks Jeep! *******s
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #64
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpz888 View Post
I called jeep and was given a case number, they called back the following day and said they were sorry for the ice build-up and that the ice smashes off my windshield but thats the design and it is what it is.

I told them that the photo on their jeep website shows the call of duty with a vent in the hood to prevent the water buildup "and its not the AEV power dome hood" because theres no side vents! I was told if my hood was missing parts my dealership should fix it.

By the way, the call of duty shown on there website two weeks ago appeared to be an AEV hood because it did have the side vents but this week its a different picture with just the top vent/drain. " I have both printouts"

Thanks Jeep! *******s
The '12 shows the hood with no vents on their site. Make sure you are not looking at the prototype

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #65
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

Go to jeep.com toward the bottom left where is says vehicles: click on call of duty MW3 and look at the silver jeep shown. You have to scroll over to the 3rd picture where it shows the top of the hood, top vent but no side vent
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #66
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007UnlimitedNJ View Post
Did you attempt tweeting your issue? Sometimes companies may respond quicker as they employ people to monitor that and don't like bad publicity. Just a thought.
I honestly don't know if we have anyone that monitors Twitter. And, if there is, how often they would do it.

Not all the forums are looked at and some are hit and miss.

Customer contacts are more easily quantified and have specifics attached to them. Dealers can verify problems, if need be.
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #67
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Customer contacts are more easily quantified and have specifics attached to them. Dealers can verify problems, if need be.
Apparently they can't, and that seems to be a major problem with some service departments. They hire Oil Change "techs" fresh out of Lincoln Tech and assume they can properly diagnose issues, when, in fact, they weren't properly trained to do so.
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #68
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan19 View Post
Apparently they can't, and that seems to be a major problem with some service departments. They hire Oil Change "techs" fresh out of Lincoln Tech and assume they can properly diagnose issues, when, in fact, they weren't properly trained to do so.
rangerfan I totally agree 110% on this statement you made You called it right Thats exactly the problem here at the Jeep Chrysler dealership out in central western NJ
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #69
2007UnlimitedNJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree as well. Finding a dealership that actually has mechanics that specialize or know Jeeps well is not an easy feat. I have three dealerships near me... Although they are nice, diagnosing and knowing Jeeps is not their strongest area.
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #70
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
I honestly don't know if we have anyone that monitors Twitter. And, if there is, how often they would do it.

Not all the forums are looked at and some are hit and miss.

I didn't use the word diagnose - (that's a whole topic in and of itself.)

The point of the post was that more attention is going to be given to a customer that has contacted Jeep about a problem than somebody that tweeted they had a problem.

Jeep keeps track of complaints when customers contact Jeep. Jeep can contact the dealer to make sure the customer actually has a problem.
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #71
LameStory

Signed up largely just to touch on this topic. But I'll go introduce myself here in a bit.

I also just bought a MW3 edition and am worrying about the same issue with the ice. But I did find that on Quadratec you can now buy just the vents that go in the original hood. So my thought is to buy the vent and take them into the body shop, get them to cut the holes and suddenly I'll have the hood the way it should be. Yeah, it's kind of annoying that I've gotta shell out $ to put a hood back to the way it should have stayed in the first place, but still worth it in the end I think.

What I'm wondering, having no experience with body work, is would this be way more involved than I'm imagining, cutting the holes that is, or would I be better off just buying the AEV hood and trying to sell mine? I know it seems a bit of a sin to cut up a perfect condition "limited" hood, but I do want the vents and if this can be done for less than a few hundred dollars (@$54/he) then I think I'll come out ahead going this route. Any thoughts?
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #72
LameStory

Or if anyone has any updates on whether Jeep might take action on this issue I'm all ears, but not really getting my hopes up for that.
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #73
stunt-man-hans

i have started a case with chrysler about the ice it really is not a safe thing going on here. if i lived in a different climate obviously this would not be an issue but, living 2,400 feet above sea level in the mountains of new hampshire it certainly is. btw, the ice is almost impossible to pry out when frozen and you would certainly screw the paint up good going about it this way. if frozen solid to the truck at least it seems stable but, still doesn't inspire confidence when traveling at speeds above 40mph. now if you remote start the truck and let it warm up it seems to melt just enough that a ride down my dirt road sends it flying at your face. same can be said for hitting the highway any speed above 50 mph it seems to want to dislodge completely in one solid chunk or in pieces which i experienced first hand now.

say what you will about drilling holes in the hood and all lol. this truck is great i really like it i'm not being picky it truly could hurt or kill you at highway speed. luckily when it happened to me yesterday it broke off in pieces and that was a scary *** experience doing 65-70 mph. if the whole thing comes off it would be game over. the part of the hood where this ice forms is pretty big and i would venture to say it would hold just over a gallon of liquid freeze that then let it fly towards your windscreen and its an eye opener to ay the least.
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #74
stunt-man-hans

i have no idea what chrysler plans to do about this if anything. but, i believe its only a matter of time before someone actually gets hurt. combine highway speeds with some hood flutter and you could have a serious problem on your hands. the picture i just snapped of my ice mod should give you guys an idea of the size we are talking about here its hefty to say the least.

imo jeep should at least fix this issue for those that live in a part of the country where extreme winter weather is the norm as its almost a constant issue for more than half the year.

i just joined and i posted to upload a photo of the issue but, it appears that unlike the other forums i have been on in the past i can't figure out how to post up an image
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #75
05x

You have options barring the fact that its a non functional hood and not every owner has to deal with ice build up. You can either gently remove it the few times you have that much ice, fix it so its functional or buy a new hood... I dont see this being such a big deal unless your in the north pole ?
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.