2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Closed Thread
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
I wouldn't want to have to drill into something I paid 40K+ for because of a design flaw either.
Nor would I want water spilling right ontop of the spark plugs and wires

Unread 03-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Nor would I want water spilling right ontop of the spark plugs and wires
engine has cover on it to prevent that. but he should have to drill to fix a design flaw.
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

1973-78 Dodge trucks had 2 divots in the hood that always held water until you drive, then it blows off. Not a big deal IMHO.
Design flaw, not really, it's just a design. I wouldn't drill holes, I also don't like the idea of water dripping on the engine.
Hey you can always trade for a plain steel hood, I'd trade in a heartbeat. Little water wouldn't bother me.
As far as ice chunks, I still have that on the 08 blowing up from the fenders or grill. It is what it is.
Correcting that " Design Flaw" may very well spoil the look of the hood.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #19
tacjeep99

Uh, here's a thought, when it is below freezing, and ice has formed, just knock it out before you drive anywhere.

Barring that, pour some warm water on the ice, melt it, and get it out of there.

Don't really think the problem rates a recall.
Unread 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

This isn't a small piece of ice it's the size of a bag of ice. Weathers nice now but rainy, maybe I should use a wet/dry vac to suck the water out when I wash it. Or get goldfish and call it my fish tank
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm all for the goldfish mod.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
2007UnlimitedNJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am not being sarcastic....

When the engine is running, it doesn't get hot enough to melt the ice?

If not, maybe install some electric heat coil under the hood, on a switch, like on dog water bowls for cold weather... Or find a garage to keep the Jeep pretty.

BTW, that does suck when you buy things, especially paying for something special, and it doesn't work or needs a mod. Everthing seems to be that way. Where is Quality Control?
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
BadassWJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I have an uncle who did this. Bought a new GM van and had tons of problems with it (go figure). Anyway, dealership gave him the runaround and never would help him out. He finally got tired of it and drove it right through the front of the building and onto the showroom floor, parked it, and threw them the keys. Glass flying everywhere...looked like a movie scene. "Keep the damn thing".
How many years in prison did he get? Must have also sucked when insurance declined to pay since he wrecked it on purpose.
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #24
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007UnlimitedNJ View Post
I am not being sarcastic....

When the engine is running, it doesn't get hot enough to melt the ice?

If not, maybe install some electric heat coil under the hood, on a switch, like on dog water bowls for cold weather... Or find a garage to keep the Jeep pretty.

BTW, that does suck when you buy things, especially paying for something special, and it doesn't work or needs a mod. Everthing seems to be that way. Where is Quality Control?
Install an electric heat coil? ...and you're not being sarcastic? If you're gonna go that far, just drill the damn drain holes.

What this comes down to is that Jeep should have left AEV's design alone. "If it ain't broke..."

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #25
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

Some of these comments are AMAZING! I'd like to see you go out and purchase a brand new Jeep special edition 1 of 3500 made and start drilling holes in the hood or replacing the hood with the stock version which takes away from the special edition.
I didn't think about the hood when I made the purchased and it was sitting on the showroom floor, no rain was filling up the scoop at the time.
Jeep has has the remote starter so I don't have to freeze in the winter time, why did I get that option if I have to stand out in the cold and break ice blocks off the hood before I can drive? Do you really think that breaking up this block of ice is good for the paint? Or maybe its better to let it break up itself and vibrate around on the hood paint until I go on the highway where it smashes off the windshield.
I must be the only person that purchased the MW3 edition, maybe next a youtube video of the ice breaking my windshield.

Maybe Jeep will fix the hood when they get 3501 complaints.
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #26
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

Its fun to wash to, when your done you have to drive around making turns back and forth until most of the gallon of water swishes off the hood then you can sop up the rest with a towel.
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #27
WV_Boltman
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'll trade you hoods.
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #28
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpz888 View Post
Some of these comments are AMAZING! I'd like to see you go out and purchase a brand new Jeep special edition 1 of 3500 made and start drilling holes in the hood or replacing the hood with the stock version which takes away from the special edition.
I didn't think about the hood when I made the purchased and it was sitting on the showroom floor, no rain was filling up the scoop at the time.
Jeep has has the remote starter so I don't have to freeze in the winter time, why did I get that option if I have to stand out in the cold and break ice blocks off the hood before I can drive? Do you really think that breaking up this block of ice is good for the paint? Or maybe its better to let it break up itself and vibrate around on the hood paint until I go on the highway where it smashes off the windshield.
I must be the only person that purchased the MW3 edition, maybe next a youtube video of the ice breaking my windshield.

Most of us here have gone out and bought a 30k plus vehicle and have already started correcting design flaws. drilling some small holes in the dip isnt that big of a deal, especially for piece of mind.

so before you come with an attitude, read up. alot of good information here, alot of it helpful. but when you come in and post a complaint, expect to get an answer as a DIY. we all know jeep wont do a damn thing.

now, since i ranted on your smart a$$ comment, ill offer some advice: the aev hood has the vents near the hold down brackets right? why not cut a small hole or two in that dip, put the same type of mesh as in the vents and run drip tubes to the side. if done correctly it will look stock and provide piece of mind against large chunks of ice.

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpz888 View Post

I completely agree with you dude. Jeep's designers really screwed the pooch when they decided AEV's design wasn't good enough. They should be held accountable and fix the issue to your satisfaction.

I would suggest to them:
Replace this hack job with a real AEV hood that we KNOW works.
or...
Send the original to AEV so they can see how stupid you guys are, and fix it with the real heat reduction vents.

Power Dome.

AEV has a forum that I'm sure other MW3 owners are a part of. Might want to take a look over there and see what other owners and maybe some AEV reps have to say about it. aev-conversions.com

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
bdmckenna
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was at the Jeep dealership yesterday and can appreciate your problem. I noticed that when I was looking at a couple on their lot. Yes, drilling holes is an option and it would be a short term fix.

Have you contacted the Jeep Rep here on the forum? I believe his handle is "Jeep Cares" or something like that. I had an issue with my 2012 Rubicon that the dealer wouldn't correct under warranty and I brought this to his attention. Two days later the dealer fixed the wiring harness.

Just my two cents...

Yea... We wheel!

2012 JKRU w/Bells & Whistles
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.