2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Closed Thread
Unread 03-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall

I have a 2012 Jeep Unlimited Call of Duty and was wondering if anyone else had a water problem with there Power Dome Hood?

When it rains the front scoop on the hood holds water and has no way to drain. I first found this out when it rained one night and then froze, it was driving on the highway and this block of ice 28"x6"x1"thick bounced off my hood scoop and smashed into my windshield, luckily the windshield didn't break.

I think there should be a recall to put in a drain.

Unread 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
alexofdenver

I just bought a Wrangler Unlimited COD edition today in Colorado. I am looking forward to large ice chuncks smashing my windshield
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

Does yours have a drain? I noticed on AEV's website that the hood is now offered with vents, mine has nothing except a dip to hold water
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 Jeep Call of Duty

Found an answer to my Power-Dome hood problem! My Jeep dealership spoke to there national rep who said that its illegal to drive on the road with a block of ice on the hood, I'm told to remove the block of ice before I drive my new $44,000 Call of Duty Jeep so it wouldn't crash through my windshield and nothing was going to be done about this problem until they receive more complaints about this defective hood.

Maybe I should drive the Jeep thru there window and see if they fix that problem.

Also sent an email to AEV to see what there response would be and never got a reply.
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
rethyk

from what I gathered, the hood that is included with the COD edition is a cosmetic version of the AEV heat reduction hood. the vents were always there, they just decided to no include them when making the COD edition hood. your best bet might be to sell off your current hood and get yourself the AEV one that also actually serves a purpose of reducing heat instead of just looking cool.
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

HAHAHA what were the D/C engineers thinking when they decided "Hey, AEV's stuff looks and functions great! Let's adapt their products for our COD MW3 JK, but redesign it to eliminate any functionality whatsoever. It works for Ford Mustang hoods! Power Dome baby!"

Can the AEV vents be fitted into the Power Dome hood?

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Dan_NTX
2012 JK Wrangler 

Why can't you drill a couple of small drain holes in an area that isn't visible?

I agree your situation sucks...but given the choice between a big chunk of ice or figuring out where to drill a couple of drains I would be headed for the drill.
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think the freezing weather is over for now so all I have to deal with is puddles of water and dirt build up in the scoop.

I don't think I'll break out the drill because it only has 400 miles on it and I haven't even made my first payment.

The AEV hood is out of stock
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Dan_NTX
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpz888 View Post
I think the freezing weather is over for now so all I have to deal with is puddles of water and dirt build up in the scoop.

I don't think I'll break out the drill because it only has 400 miles on it and I haven't even made my first payment.

I'm 100% on your side for the record... It looks like a moronic simple oversight at the factory. Since ice chunks are off the table for a little while maybe you can work on a solution that would allow you to keep the original hood, possibly even get Jeep to help out in that effort. Hopefully buying a new hood is an unneeded option.
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Maybe I should drive the Jeep thru there window and see if they fix that problem.
I have an uncle who did this. Bought a new GM van and had tons of problems with it (go figure). Anyway, dealership gave him the runaround and never would help him out. He finally got tired of it and drove it right through the front of the building and onto the showroom floor, parked it, and threw them the keys. Glass flying everywhere...looked like a movie scene. "Keep the damn thing".
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I have an uncle who did this. Bought a new GM van and had tons of problems with it (go figure). Anyway, dealership gave him the runaround and never would help him out. He finally got tired of it and drove it right through the front of the building and onto the showroom floor, parked it, and threw them the keys. Glass flying everywhere...looked like a movie scene. "Keep the damn thing".
Wow.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Wow.
Obviously the police showed up and everything.. but for 5 minutes it was classic.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman

Cough-bull ****-cough.
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Dont wheel it, you might scratch it
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Dont wheel it, you might scratch it
I wouldn't want to have to drill into something I paid 40K+ for because of a design flaw either.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.