JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2011 Wrangler Hand Break Concern (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2011-wrangler-hand-break-concern-1439659/)

mgarcia28 11-18-2012 04:57 PM

2011 Wrangler Hand Break Concern

Hey Guys,

Im a relatively new jeep owner, and as I was parking my jeep, I do what I usually do, slip it into park than pull up my hand break.

I happened to pull my hand break up relatively hard, as per usual, and it made a louder noise, and became kind of loose. Do you think I harmed anything?

I don't know if its just me, but as I pull my hand break up now, it seems less-stiff... Can someone help, I'm concerned as this vehicle is relatively new and thinking about asking Jeep to take a look just in case.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

spyder6 11-18-2012 05:31 PM

its fine. you didnt hurt anything - its entirely placebo

wscbikes 11-18-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarcia28
Hey Guys,

Im a relatively new jeep owner, and as I was parking my jeep, I do what I usually do, slip it into park than pull up my hand break.

I happened to pull my hand break up relatively hard, as per usual, and it made a louder noise, and became kind of loose. Do you think I harmed anything?

I don't know if its just me, but as I pull my hand break up now, it seems less-stiff... Can someone help, I'm concerned as this vehicle is relatively new and thinking about asking Jeep to take a look just in case.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

If the lever no longer has tension on it at the top of the range, you have likely broken the clutch spring.

mgarcia28 11-18-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wscbikes (Post 14475659)
If the lever no longer has tension on it at the top of the range, you have likely broken the clutch spring.

It has tension, it seems normal, but maybe not as factory stiff. but it definitely has tension and stays up..

rumlover 11-18-2012 06:19 PM

Mine does the same thing. I can hold the button in while pulling it up(so you dont hear/feel the cogs) and it pops really loud at about 3/4 pull. I only have 900 miles on my 13 JKR.

ronjenx 11-18-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumlover (Post 14475904)
Mine does the same thing. I can hold the button in while pulling it up(so you dont hear/feel the cogs) and it pops really loud at about 3/4 pull. I only have 900 miles on my 13 JKR.

That pop may be the spring clutch slipping.

Try cleaning the clutch spring with a lot of brake cleaner. See if it makes a difference.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...utchSpring.jpg

rumlover 11-18-2012 06:37 PM

Thanks. Will do, even tho it urks me to have to having less than 1000 miles, but so it goes.

mgarcia28 11-18-2012 08:44 PM

So I didn't do any damage? Yeah mine is 11' with 20,000 km only

442Wrangler 11-19-2012 07:35 AM

Why do you put the e brake on when you put the Jeep in park? The transmission locks and holds the vehicle. :dunno:

ronjenx 11-19-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 442Wrangler (Post 14478017)
Why do you put the e brake on when you put the Jeep in park? The transmission locks and holds the vehicle. :dunno:

That little pawl shouldn't be depended upon to hold the Jeep if there is any incline at all.
Have you ever pulled the lever out of park, and the Jeep was resting on the pawl? Did you notice the resistance and the noise it made? That's wearing away the pawl, making it more apt to slip out of park on an incline.

For those with manual transmissions, people have come out to get in their Jeeps and found them down the driveway, or even across the street, because the engine had slowly turned over, allowing the Jeep to move on its own.

MrFusion 11-19-2012 08:28 AM

I've never understood why people don't engage the parking brake on auto trans cars. I remember years ago there was a car that was popping out of park and rolling away (defect in the trans) and engaging the parking brake would have avoided accidents.

I drive manuals and always set the parking brake. Maybe it's just me but I figure it's there for a reason.:dunno:

mgarcia28 11-19-2012 10:30 AM

Yup... pull mine up every time... Just concerned, I dont think I harmed anything though

Noxian 11-19-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 14475962)

As a Canadian sorry guys I would like to apologize for this part sucking :P

I need to take mine in one of these days, its has a mind of its own as to if it will engage or not.

mickeymeanie 11-19-2012 11:35 AM

I had the stealership check mine because it just didn't seem to hold on even the slightest incline. The fix was "pull it up harder and further"... it holds when you do that... but dang, doesn't seem like that should have to be the case. They didn't want to adjust it any because it would just be dragging and wear down to the same point it's at now... makes sense sure, but doesn't seem right to have to pull the thing so hard and so far to get it to engage. Oh well... probably doesn't help that I've got 5,000lbs of Nitto Trail Grappler dragging the thing down the driveway... LOL

ronjenx 11-19-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeymeanie (Post 14479103)
I had the stealership check mine because it just didn't seem to hold on even the slightest incline. The fix was "pull it up harder and further"... it holds when you do that... but dang, doesn't seem like that should have to be the case. They didn't want to adjust it any because it would just be dragging and wear down to the same point it's at now... makes sense sure, but doesn't seem right to have to pull the thing so hard and so far to get it to engage. Oh well... probably doesn't help that I've got 5,000lbs of Nitto Trail Grappler dragging the thing down the driveway... LOL

If you have to pull way up to get it to hold consider the following...

1. The brake shoes are probably out of adjustment, or worn. Adjusting them correctly will make it hold with three or four clicks. It will not cause the shoes to drag and wear down again. I use the parking brake every day, and had to adjust it only once, back in 2009. It holds on the third or fourth click.

2. The tension spring may be broken. It's function is to maintain 20 lbs. pull on the cable to remove slack, and give the lever a new grip on the cable drum each time it's pulled. If the tension spring is broken, or disconnected, the lever will get progressively worse, until it's all the way up, with no brake being applied.

Look in through the brush seal under the lever, and see if the tension spring is still connected.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...lofSprings.jpg

The time now is 10:09 PM.