2011 JK Performance and MPG improvement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2011 JK Performance and MPG improvement

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
winkhammer
2011 JK Wrangler 

calculation at the pump, not off the trip computer.

sigh.. newsflash... whatever

I'd rather have performance upgrade over a "dress up" any day.... money well spent

Unread 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

So I guess that is a "no" to the before/after dyno charts and mpg testing.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
winkhammer
2011 JK Wrangler 

Subatomicgenius.. that was figured at the pump, not on the vehicle.

Don't have access to a dyne, or I would gladly give you data. However, after driving on and off road for over 27 years, I somewhat certain I can figure mileage and notice gains in performance.

As far as spending money on useful enhancements, I find performance more valuable than cosmetics...
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
winkhammer
2011 JK Wrangler 

20.1 mpg on a recent highway trip to Tyler, TX going 68mph with RPMs at 1800... Figured at the pump. Sigh....
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
bigcarl
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkhammer View Post
20.1 mpg on a recent highway trip to Tyler, TX going 68mph with RPMs at 1800... Figured at the pump. Sigh....
thats vary good info thanks for ur time on here im looking to do something of the sort like a mbrp exhaust any cheap intakes that will work and do the same
btw anyone els think this kids a tool bag SubAtomicGenius
bigcarl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

NOPE SAG, likes straight/consistent/repeatable data before making /giving advise-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcarl View Post
thats vary good info thanks for ur time on here im looking to do something of the sort like a mbrp exhaust any cheap intakes that will work and do the same
You may consider me a "tool bag" after 10 forums and thousands of reports/data about CAI/exhaust/airfilters/spark plugs--doing marvelous HP/mileage increases on the 3.8l---PIPE DREAMS, spending $1K to $3K to gain 1 MPG increase, is FUTILE-

Your buying a jeep to do jeep tasks, any other reasons your foolish-

My increase in HP/Torque/performance just happened to result in an increase in gas mileage--when driven forit-and thats with the 3.8L STOCK-

It's called REGEARING-and gas mileage was at the bottom of the end result list !

Enjoy

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcarl View Post
Go back to sleep, "bigcarl" and watch who you call "kid."

Good luck with your MBRP exhaust, match it up with your 20" rims you ******.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
winkhammer
2011 JK Wrangler 

many thanks bigcarl!
LOL.. Yep, under a $1000. in mods Jimbo. I bought my jeep to be a daily driver and tend to my ranch. As well as take customers to machine gun shoots, varmint and pig hunts, and bow hunts.. I think I use it for its intended purposes, but also desire better performance. I really don't care how many posts you've made I find it amusing that you doubt evidence at the pump..

Anyone can talk big on the internet....

and yes, tool bag, you dress up your jeep like a barbie doll.... I bet you cried first time you scratched it.. hahaha
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, can't even begin to reason with you-

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkhammer View Post
many thanks bigcarl!
LOL.. Yep, under a $1000. in mods Jimbo. I bought my jeep to be a daily driver and tend to my ranch. As well as take customers to machine gun shoots, varmint and pig hunts, and bow hunts.. I think I use it for its intended purposes, but also desire better performance. I really don't care how many posts you've made I find it amusing that you doubt evidence at the pump..

Anyone can talk big on the internet....

and yes, tool bag, you dress up your jeep like a barbie doll.... I bet you cried first time you scratched it.. hahaha
It's hard to figure how you consider my post as "TALK BIG" and I never claimed to make any posts--

There's no doubt--you will go far-

JIMBO
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #25
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

wink, ease up on jimbo, he really is a wealth of good useful info and experience. he is the one source you can pretty much take as "gospel. jimbo and i are both from the era of pre-computer muscle cars. i can assure you there is very little to be gained from cai intakes and exhaust these days and it would be felt at the higher rpm band. most of your gains came from the tuner. either way, its good you are happy with what you have done.
pentastarguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #26
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanx pg, he'll fitin after a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
wink, ease up on jimbo, he really is a wealth of good useful info and experience. he is the one source you can pretty much take as "gospel. jimbo and i are both from the era of pre-computer muscle cars. i can assure you there is very little to be gained from cai intakes and exhaust these days and it would be felt at the higher rpm band. most of your gains came from the tuner. either way, its good you are happy with what you have done.
A young jeeper learning the trade

JIMBO
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #27
bill9274
2011 JK Wrangler 

I am glad it all worked out for you and the seat of the pants means more than numbers only bean counters care what the numbers mean because they can always be manipulated to your interest. my wife had a 2011 durango with the penstar 3.55 gears now she has a ford edge 3.55 gears they are rated at basically same ho and tourge weigh about the same there is no comparison in power the edge is quicker off the line and so much faster from 60 to 100 its not even comparable. So numbers are not all that impressive to me the seat of the pants is whats impressive to me. I dont know of many mods that pay for them self's and really doubt if you care if you have more seat of the pants power. Good job.

Bill
bill9274 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #28
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wink, I know you're right! I did the cai and tuner on my `13 Perf Pac Mustang, 3.7 last year. Aint no doubt you can tell the difference in giddy up.

I did a little MPG run with the Mustang last Fri. I ran 93 oct, drove the 55 mph speed limit, went real easy on accelleration, coasted a bit when possible. I got 34 mpg. The car is epa rated at 29. The manual trans Mustang V6s are rated at 29, the autos are rated at 31. <I don't get that.

Wink, make a little run at 55 mph, baby it a little bit, and see what you can squeze out of that Jeep.

I really don't get how you can lift, go big, dunk it in the mud and water, run it into a tree, and that's OK, but a CAI and Tune? That HAS to be proven to pay for itself. And even when it shows an mpg improvement, that is still not good enough! whatever......
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #29
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
Glad it's working out for you. Sounds like you will save about 10% in gas costs. So if you burn about $50 a week in gas you will be saving $260 a year. How much did the upgrades cost?
$50*52weeks/yr = $2600.....
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #30
bgoptmst

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy
I noticed on the RIPP site that the dyno run for their CAI was showing an increase of power at the lower RPMs. The motor wasn't creating more power it was just changing how quickly it got there and thus felt "more responsive."

Did I read the chart wrong or misinterpret what you were saying about the RPM?
bgoptmst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2011 , aev , jk , performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.