2011 Jeep Wrangler popping gears! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2011 Jeep Wrangler popping gears!

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #31
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I find it hard to believe that the boot gets soo cold that it forces the shifter into neutral, just from my experience when driving in 2wd on the sand dunes my shifter has not poped out once. I would think that there is much more force being applied on the shifter to pop out while going 60mph on a extremely bumpy sand and when jumping then there would be with a cold boot. Then again, my shifter boot has just about completely undone itself from the console so it must be stretching the boot pretty bad in some positions.
Regardless of the reason, all my other cars were sticks and I never once had a problem with poping, the WRX was near impossible to get out of gear without the clutch FULLY pressed in.

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #32
J_Westy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
I find it hard to believe that the boot gets soo cold that it forces the shifter into neutral,
I get your line of reasoning, but my 2011 was fixed by cutting off the outer boot.

More info here in a similar thread:

Cold Weather JOG update (2011 Wrangler) - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

I'm going to give Jeep some time to come up with a fix before trying to make my own boot like another owner did in that same thread...

J_Westy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #33
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post
My '08 used to pop out of 1st all the time. The dealer ended up ordering some parts from Germany (?) and that pretty much fixed it. I traded it in shortly there after though.
and now u drive a grand prix right?
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #34
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ok went in 3rd time they held it for a overnight and changed lower gearshifter! picked it up and couldn't get it into 2nd or 4th gear very hard-"they made it worse....back in for 4th time today and still no loaner car. They say they dont give loaners...regular dealer nonsense....

as I said previous went through this with many cars and dealers. I think they should've offered a loaner and explained the truth its a known problem . taking my 4 service receipts and submitting to lemon law.Not getting frustrated with this car ..been there done that....
Any ONE found a fix? Please dont say driving skills
volito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #35
wilhouse
2011 JK Wrangler 

Please dont say driving skills
I was blaming myself for this one too....
Until yesterday morning. I was coasting with my foot on the clutch, and put it fully into 4th, and it just slid right out. Same result in 2 and 6, but not nearly as quick as it was in 4th. Once the clutch was engaged, it held. This morning no problem, but going into 4th still feels "soft" compared to 3rd. I'm going to call the dealership and at least start a conversation. I can't really explain the difference, since it was colder this am than it was yesterday.
ken
wilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #36
tomlennon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlennon View Post
Throwing my hat into the ring here...

2010 JK with 5600 miles

14 deg New England Weather

This morning my lil' F'er threw herself out of second (almost got me killed in an intersection) and then out of fourth gear, too. Coldest morning of the year, so far.

Maybe I'll buy the 'cold' boot argument, especially since it pushed itself out of fourth, too (same stick direction as 2nd). I can see the boot gets cold and tries to push the shifter forward...seams "plausible" to me. I did notice that it seemed very sluggish to shift, too -- like moving the stick through maple syrup. Clutch felt normal.

Still, I need a fix. It's at the dealership right now. This is unacceptable, especially if my wife is driving. It's not a fix to say "make sure it's firmly in gear before letting off the clutch and you'll be fine, otherwise you and the baby will get T-boned when it slips out".

Unacceptable.
Update: They cut the "inner" boot as the fix. There are two boots: an inner an an outer. The outer is the rubber one, the inside more form fitting? Either way, the inner boot was the one that needed modification. It does shift better, and has not thrown itself out again.

New problem: Now I have a noise, sounds like metal-to-metal scraping (specifically, sounds like light, metal scraping or rubbing, if you were underwater) coming from the tranny. It goes away if I depress the clutch. Changes in frequency when I move the shifter from left (1/2 g) to right, through 3/4 to 5/6 and R. Transfer case lever doesn't change it. It seems to get a little better after the car heats up...most pronounced when the car is cold.

Throw-out-bearing? Clutch plate? At 5500 miles!!!!>?!@???!?!? WTF?

All the techs at the dealership said they mod'd was the boot...it involved taking the center console apart. But this noise is new since they did that fix. The stick does move easier, but the sound makes me think something is very very wrong with my tranny setup. I still have stock tires on this...not changing anything until this is fixed.

Anyone have this happen after the BOOT MOD?
tomlennon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #37
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volito View Post
Ok went in 3rd time they held it for a overnight and changed lower gearshifter! picked it up and couldn't get it into 2nd or 4th gear very hard and grinding -"they made it worse....back in for 4th time today and still no loaner car. They say they dont give loaners...regular dealer nonsense....

as I said previous went through this with many cars and dealers. I think they should've offered a loaner and explained the truth its a known problem . taking my 4 service receipts and submitting to lemon law.Not getting frustrated with this car ..been there done that....
Any ONE found a fix? Please dont say driving skills
Ok wife picked it up after 4th visit1 They tried teaching her how to drive a stick "remind you she's from Europe been driving sticks many many many years.....anyway she says it goes into gear smoother know lets see if the popping out is done "after lower gearshifter boot"
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #38
diamonddave
2010 JK Wrangler 

My 2010 jumps out of second at least once a day. Its only when its cold and its definately the boot. I removed the boot for a week and it never popped out.

2003 TJ 3" of lift, 35" BFG KM2"s, Detroit tru tracs front n rear, 4.56's, Rokmen front bumper, rock hard sliders, Gen-Right tube fenders, blahblahblah. (for sale)
diamonddave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #39
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

well mine is going in for the 5th time same problem! you think they would find a solution
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #40
Glenhill39
2011 JK Wrangler 

2011 popping out of 4th...

My 2011 Wrangler constantly pops out of 4th gear. I now park it in reverse gear, which molds the boot to a different position and gets hard that way when cold overnight. Have not had an issue since. But, I would like Jeep to come up with a remedy.
Glenhill39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #41
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ok one more time! I don't drive wrangler much "wife's" but took it out this Saturday Morning. It's around 30 degrees F. I noticed that if I let go of stick at any time the clutch is not fully engaged "out not down to floor" the stick will pop out of gear this then causes the grinding when you finally release clutch causing the POG affect. So another way to put it is I have to drive always holding and making sure I hold stick in gear until clutch is fully released.

Know I understand what people where saying you have to adapt to the Wrangler or other Jeep models.

Know I am at loss why should I have to hold the stick at all times especially when in city or traffic. I been driving stick for many years and at times there are occasions that you put both hands on wheel before the clutch is fully released. I am going to that having to hold stick in all the time so it wont pop is not a safe thing.... any opinions on this or some of u have same problem...

also It just might be the stiff boot causing this! I am no mechanic and have to research if a stick suppose to or can pop - lets say in midway or upon releasing clutch

"PS and of course dealer still says he doesn't know about the issue LOL"
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #42
J_Westy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
I get your line of reasoning, but my 2011 was fixed by cutting off the outer boot.

More info here in a similar thread:

Cold Weather JOG update (2011 Wrangler) - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

I'm going to give Jeep some time to come up with a fix before trying to make my own boot like another owner did in that same thread...

Just installed a leather shift boot from Redline Goods.

Works great and doesn't pop out of gear. Plus it looks good If you want more bling, you can get other leather colors and other stitching colors too.

Write up here:

J_Westy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #43
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

ok for those that follow this here is an update since day one problems still exist lemon law was refused, so i adjusted my driving to HOLD stick in place dso it doesnt pop out. Also almost every day have problems getting it into some gears takes a few tries involving many techniques. Now got stuck 2 hours away from home as it wouldnt go into gear and guessing clutch plates are stuck or something and has been towed to a dealer. Stuck 2 hours away from home no loaners cause of obvius reasons. So back to lemon law and lawyers. Not for nothing but always heard jeeps last for ever as I HAVE to disagree this jeep was nothing but a nightmare form DAY ONE....No for quick opinions if you where me would you try another JEEp such as RUBY, Balck OP ETC. and would you go manual or auto...any news on this problem "I see a lwayer contacted me aand said there is a knowm issue" thats circulating arounf forums? BASICALLY really starting to hate CHRYSLER/JEEP dealers always know aout this but keep it secret until someone dies or all reports make it to the safety dept....
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #44
DonosJeep

I had an 09 Rubi 6spd that had major tranny issues. ( popped outta gear, noisy, etc. ). After several trips to two diff dealers and major internal and external repairs, the selling dealer bought it back. I also had a horrific run in with the regional chrysler service rep that almost got physical!! I bought a 11 Rubi auto and have pretty happy with it. Chrysler can say what they want, but the 6 spd trans has issues!! Major issues!! They will keep their head buried in the sand until someone gets killed as a result of the flaws. Sad, but true.
I have been Blessed by The Reverend Horton Heat!!!
That Freakin Banana cracks me up!!!!
DonosJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #45
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonosJeep
I had an 09 Rubi 6spd that had major tranny issues. ( popped outta gear, noisy, etc. ). After several trips to two diff dealers and major internal and external repairs, the selling dealer bought it back. I also had a horrific run in with the regional chrysler service rep that almost got physical!! I bought a 11 Rubi auto and have pretty happy with it. Chrysler can say what they want, but the 6 spd trans has issues!! Major issues!! They will keep their head buried in the sand until someone gets killed as a result of the flaws. Sad, but true.
I have to agree with you and thanks for your input ... Thinking of getting a new ruby, or one if the new editions coming out. It's really hard to trust this dealers and major brands as they don't back there quality only lie. TY again

Tags
JK Wrangler , jog , jumping out of gear , popping out of gear , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.