2011 Jeep Wrangler popping gears! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2011 Jeep Wrangler popping gears!

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #16
wilhouse
2011 JK Wrangler 

My '11 has done this a few times, and I blamed it on getting used to the truck. For me, it has always been 4th. It feels more rubbery going into 2,4,6, and R, so I suspect it is the boot. As long as I pay attention and shift firmly, making sure it is fully engaged, it isn't an issue.
Is this what you guys are feeling, or is it different?
I was just blaming myself; a "getting used to the Jeep" problem. Maybe I should talk to the dealer.
Ken

wilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #17
jerry the kid
2011 JK Wrangler 

I dont know if I can reference another wrangler forum here but if I can I have a write up of what I had done to fix it.I too had the same problem.It is indeed the boot from my experience. i disassembled the console,shifter boot from the frame it's built on and replaced the boot with a universal one sold at pepboys.No more jumping out of gear(2,4,6,r)any more.
jerry the kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

I really really appreciate the suggestion and help! I'll pass this to dealer if need be......

Again really APPRECIATE the help but please don't take this the wrong way....
A million dollar company should figure this out and repair the problem. I see a lot off people having the same problem with there jeeps of various models and years. I for one for **** sure! not going to take apart parts on a BRAND new Jeep to try and repair something on my own. I just bought the thing and has under 2k....

I'll go through lemon law before I do that....Been there done that with new cars! They get 4 tries its on them ...

Again thanks for the help!
volito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #19
jerry the kid
2011 JK Wrangler 

No problem my friend.I had a 2010 JKU and the change to the interior is a welcome plus but the shifter wasnt carefully tested in colder weather( stiffness in the boot) in the 11's.It seems to be a common occurrence.
Unread 12-10-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Willhouse don't let anyone tell you its you! I drove pelnty if stick vechiles and never never had an issue like this especially a new car. Something is wrong and they need to figure it out. Mine js going in today for second time ill check back in with news

Thanks again
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #21
tomlennon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Eh, maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry the kid View Post
No problem my friend.I had a 2010 JKU and the change to the interior is a welcome plus but the shifter wasnt carefully tested in colder weather( stiffness in the boot) in the 11's.It seems to be a common occurrence.
Throwing my hat into the ring here...

2010 JK with 5600 miles

14 deg New England Weather

This morning my lil' F'er threw herself out of second (almost got me killed in an intersection) and then out of fourth gear, too. Coldest morning of the year, so far.

Maybe I'll buy the 'cold' boot argument, especially since it pushed itself out of fourth, too (same stick direction as 2nd). I can see the boot gets cold and tries to push the shifter forward...seams "plausible" to me. I did notice that it seemed very sluggish to shift, too -- like moving the stick through maple syrup. Clutch felt normal.

Still, I need a fix. It's at the dealership right now. This is unacceptable, especially if my wife is driving. It's not a fix to say "make sure it's firmly in gear before letting off the clutch and you'll be fine, otherwise you and the baby will get T-boned when it slips out".

Unacceptable.
tomlennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #22
jerry the kid
2011 JK Wrangler 

Im glad that you didnt get into an accident.I had a '10 but it wasnt cold enough to experience the jumping out of gear before I sold it for the '11. I can tell you for sure that the rubber boot is thick and since changing out the part for a different one(suede) I have not had the gear pop issue once.
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #23
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
(almost got me killed in an intersection)
There is the key word why does these things have to come to disasters before they make it a recall....

I know some of the people here are dedicated JEEP fans and lovers and please don't take this wrong. Sometimes we as customers and the safety of our families we need to speak out. Going to dealer doesn't help as you see many people have the same problem and dealer will tell you they never heard of this before BULLLLLLL...

"just went through this with a VW two years ago. They changed a tranny and unit that controls it est...3 to 4k$" till this day dealers re telling people they never heard of it--they lie lie and that car seen at least 3 different dealers"

Been there and done that before...I already spoke and made my NHTSA complaint and started my lemon law case.. they get 4 tries to fix.......

Might be harsh but me and my family life is more important them the dealers games....

PS<<<if it is a simple fix as a rubber boot why doesn't JEEP send a memo to all dealers across US and fix it ? Why does someone have to get killed or a serious accident first....

PS number two! I don't believe everything i read on Internet but interesting read!"

http://www.wcengineering.com/articles/popout.html

That makes it sound like a flaw in design to me --not how you drive or everything else mentioned as Get run around technique

Last edited by volito; 12-11-2010 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: more thoughts
Unread 12-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #24
kyjeep98
2010 JK Wrangler 

Finally got my JK back from the dealer and all is well. I asked the same dude who told me when I dropped it off that he had never heard of the problem. This time he said they had put new first gears and syncros in 3 JK's.
kyjeep98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #25
Whitefang
2007 JK Wrangler 

gotta shift harder.
Whitefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've adjusted my driving style, but I never really had a issue with it... I'm glad I don't, my dealership is full of retards. From sales to service. =X
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #27
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

I know the 2011 has the new interior and new boot. But I had the JOG issue with 1st gear on my 2010. Ended up with a new transmission. It's not the boot and it's not "getting use to a new tranny," It is a gear sync issue. I had a thread detailing my experience. Dealership first said it was the boot, they checked with Chrysler and got the part number, what arrived was sync gears. When they tore my tranny down and tried to put the new gears in it, because it is a very delicate process, they ended up shredding the tranny when they test drove it. I saw the tranny tore down, and I mean "shredded." So they ended up replacing the whole tranny. Neddless to say I have not JOG'd since. Bottom line, they have a transmission issue, due to the intricate build requirements on these trannies (my thread has a detailed explanation of this process). Take it back to the dealership, they can look it up, like they did with mine.

"My 3rd Jeep, previously owned a YJ and TJ"
JeepScout3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #28
JeepScout3
2010 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...ranny-1090214/

"My 3rd Jeep, previously owned a YJ and TJ"
JeepScout3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #29
kyjeep98
2010 JK Wrangler 

Trust me on this, it is not the boot. This was an internal trans problem. It did not matter if I shifted hard or easy, it would pop out with great force. You could not hold it in gear, it would pop out so hard that it would move your hand out of the way. If you have this problem you will know it does not pop out gently it pops out violently with a very loud boom.
kyjeep98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #30
jerry the kid
2011 JK Wrangler 

Im sorry to hear that you guys needed a new transmission or gear synchros.I can only share what happened when I took it upon myself to find out what was causing MY transmission issues.Through process of elimination while disassembling my console and shifter boot,I determined that the factory boot ,when cold,was causing my 2nd and 4th gears to jump into neutral.After replacing my shifter boot it has not happened since.I am not diagnosing or attempting to claim that I am a mechanic but am only relaying my experiences with you.Just trying to give some friendly insight to fellow Jeep owners.

Tags
JK Wrangler , jog , jumping out of gear , popping out of gear , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.