2011 Jeep Wrangler popping gears! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2011 Jeep Wrangler popping gears!

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

2011 Jeep Wrangler popping gears!

2011 Jeep Wrangler 1k miles

Ok search first 15 pages didn't see anything one this subject...

I understand and read that Jeep knows about this problem and is known in 2010's....

If i am correct..If it's only first gear that pops out it is in need of a part!

If it happens in some gears it can be the rubber boot!

Well it seems to be happening in a few gears and pops in neutral...

any input or direct me to appropriate post!

thanks

volito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

This thread has allot of info > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...t-gear-820803/
My 08 did it in second gear a few times when it was new. After practicing firm positive shifts it stopped happening and hasn't been a problem for 17k miles.
Good luck

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Really no solution to the problem reported in that thread. Dealer couldn't reproduce and told my wife to bring it back when its colder. Now. I been dealing with dealers for manyyears and can almost guarantee they probably driven it for 10 minutes. Any other threads or loan fixes or is everyone driving around holding stick in place andadapting to jeep manual driving techniques

Any open NHTSA COMPLAINTS open
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
motor_car
2010 JK Wrangler 

This bugged me for a while...I haven't taken it apart yet and my x-ray vision is tired and it won't penetrate the rubber boot, but i feel that the shifter hits something hard that limits its travel firmly, before the end of travel of the 'box link. Is the re a H or HH gate down there? Makes me think that a slight variance in the floor panel position with respect to the gearbox may create a stop for the shifter preventing full travel of the gearbox lever, at the other end, either into 1-3-5 or into 2-4-6 depending how things fall in place.
Then, you take it to the dealer, they change parts in the gear box that's nothing wrong with, put it back together and soon you're back for more. Picture that!
motor_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
blue-coupe
2011 JK Wrangler 

My '08 used to pop out of 1st all the time. The dealer ended up ordering some parts from Germany (?) and that pretty much fixed it. I traded it in shortly there after though.
blue-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
kyjeep98
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine is a 2010 with 6k miles, been popping out of first since new. I went to dealer and had shift boot replaced with no change. I took it in this morning and the dealer is ordering parts, going to replace 1st gear and 1/2 syncros per the TSB. They did not give me any trouble about not being able to reproduce the problem. It sounds like a new TSB is out that gets them right to the problem, good news for us Jeepers.
kyjeep98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post
ordering some parts from Germany (?) and that pretty much fixed it.
IIRC the 6 speed is a Mercedes sourced trans.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
kyjeep98
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon83 View Post
IIRC the 6 speed is a Mercedes sourced trans.
It is kind of, it is a Getrag trans. Getrag is a German trans manufacturer making trans for Mercedes, BMW, MINI, Jeep and others.

http://www.getrag.de/en/238
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjeep98 View Post
It is kind of, it is a Getrag trans. Getrag is a German trans manufacturer making trans for Mercedes, BMW, MINI, Jeep and others.

GETRAG Corporate Group - 6MTI300 TRANSMISSION
Not "kind of" at all.

Getrag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is however a German transmission company, along with ZF.

The time of mfg's making much of anything on there vehicles is quickly disappearing. Especially transmissions with Borg Warner, Zf, Getrag ect... supplying much of the car industry now.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
kyjeep98
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor7474 View Post
Not "kind of" at all.

Getrag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is however a German transmission company, along with ZF.

The time of mfg's making much of anything on there vehicles is quickly disappearing. Especially transmissions with Borg Warner, Zf, Getrag ect... supplying much of the car industry now.
I was only using the "kind of" to say that it is used in a Mercedes but not made by Mercedes.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjeep98 View Post
I was only using the "kind of" to say that it is used in a Mercedes but not made by Mercedes.
Ahh, ok. I thought I had read that it was a Merc. trans that they were using in another vehicle and began using it in the Wrangler to replace the old 5 speed.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
kyjeep98
2010 JK Wrangler 

so I am on day 9 waiting for dealer to fix first gear. I was working today so my wife called to ask whats up, they said they got first gear in today and that a check engine light came on and they had to order an 02 sensor to install Thursday. Why would they have to replace an 02 sensor on a jeep with 6000 miles on it. WTF? I assume that they hit one with a tool or with the trans when pulling trans. Any ideas?
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volito View Post
2011 Jeep Wrangler 1k miles

Ok search first 15 pages didn't see anything one this subject...

I understand and read that Jeep knows about this problem and is known in 2010's....

If i am correct..If it's only first gear that pops out it is in need of a part!

If it happens in some gears it can be the rubber boot!

Well it seems to be happening in a few gears and pops in neutral...

any input or direct me to appropriate post!

thanks
NEUTRAL? wow..... O2 sensor, they broke it removing x mission of course, I've done that....it's a medium duty truck tranny somehat modified (w/ ratios, tail, etc.,) to fit the JK, "usually" it's the boot that couses the probs but, a known and common TSB exists if it's "other than 1st gear" pop out...
Unread 12-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA View Post
NEUTRAL? wow..... O2 sensor, they broke it removing x mission of course, I've done that....it's a medium duty truck tranny somehat modified (w/ ratios, tail, etc.,) to fit the JK, "usually" it's the boot that couses the probs but, a known and common TSB exists if it's "other than 1st gear" pop out...
Ok first time went in they said couldn't find problem...popped out three times today and in shop as I type.....Twice in shop already under 2k miles for popping gears ...Why every car I buy that suppose to be the most reliable I have problems.....
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
jerry the kid
2011 JK Wrangler 

Volito you have a private message
jerry the kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
JK Wrangler , jog , jumping out of gear , popping out of gear , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.