2011 Jeep Wrangler JK Burning Oil?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2011 Jeep Wrangler JK Burning Oil??

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
sophie82
2011 JK Wrangler 

2011 Jeep Wrangler JK Burning Oil??

I am a first time Jeep owner and I bought my Jeep brand new in 2011. I am very good at keeping up with all maintenance on my Jeep in a timely manner and usually get most of my maintenance done at the actual dealership. Now, with that being said, I noticed on Friday morning on my way to work that the oil pressure light came on. I made arrangements to take it to the dealership on the next morning to have it looked at. On my way home that evening my Jeep overheats and upon inspecting the dipstick, it was COMPLETELY dry of any oil!!!! I hadn't noticed a leak at any time and was in complete disbelief!! I called the dealership and had it towed in. When the dealership got back with me, they explained that the jeep did not have a leak, but was in fact burning the oil. They have yet to give me any explanation as to WHY this was happening. On a side note...I never noticed smoke or smell of burning oil during this time they say it was burning. Any 2011 Wrangler owners come across an issue like this???!!

sophie82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Do a search, it is a fairly common problem. Hopefully, your dealer is good and works with you. I ended up replacing my engine myself at 58k. Some have had success getting Chrysler to pay for it.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

What is your usual oil change intervals?
How long ago was last change (miles)?
Was this the first time the oil was low?

Sudden oil loss that's not leaking makes me think bad PCV valve. (Easy $10 part)

You're not alone in this but you really need to check the oil dipstick frequently. The jk gives no warning about low oil until the low pressure warning which is, frankly, too late.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I check my oil at every fuel fill, and I use a quart every thousand miles (more if highway miles). 120,000mi odom.
Jeep has been no help with it, saying it's within their parameters to burn that much.
Screw it.....it's just a hassle.

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What's done is done. Hopefully you are still under warranty and the dealer doesn't deny warranty because it was run dry.

For the education of others who may see this thread...

Check your dip sticks at least once a week.
And, if the oil light comes on, stop and check the oil immediately. Don't continue to drive it to an appointment the next day.
The light most often comes on because the oil pump has ceased drawing oil from the pan.

I write this because so many people in the past have stated "I shouldn't have to check the oil level between oil changes!"
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Jarod5
2011 JK Wrangler 

My 11 burns 1qt every 1000 miles. SUCKS!!!!!!
Jarod5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.