2011 Jeep Rubicon JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2011 Jeep Rubicon JK

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
mkfmedic

2011 Jeep Rubicon JK

Hey All!

Just received my Jeep Rubicon JK last week and have really enjoyed my first few days driving a Jeep!

I am already committed to making some changes and will be dropping it off at my local shop to have my wheels powdercoated flat black, tint my windows equally across the sides, and changing the front "Jeep" logo to a flat black "Jeep" logo. I'm also adding ACE engineering side rails and am looking to add a Front Runner basket on rails.

I am interested in doing more, but am trying to be reasonable. The guys at the shop suggested that I consider doing a "small" leveling kit to bring up the front end. I am planning on doing a smaller lift and going to 33" tires, when the current stock tires begin to wear, but since this is going to be my daily driver, I want to maintain the ride characteristics of the vehicle.

My question is this, Do I bother with a leveling kit? It seems like a minor investment to make it stand out a little bit different than the Stock Rubicon, but I don't want to effect the ride or handling. Can it be done? Have you done this and if so, which kit did you use?

Thanks in advance for your input, it is appreciated!

Mike

mkfmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the Club
My advice is to not jump into it too quickly.
Take some time and have fun with it, browse this forum for awhile and let your plan evolve
It's real easy to spend a ton of money on things that you will change your mind about. If you take your time you'll still spend a ton of money but you can make every dollar count
Look through the F.A.Q. there are some great ideas and build threads in there!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
04 RUBI
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just out of curiosity, why did you buy a Rubicon? Seriously not being a dick, but why? If you have 32's, why go to 33's for a 1/2" difference? The money you spent on tint, you could of got bushwacker flats and gone to 35's. Seriously , not being a dick, but where are you going on this build. I feel bad about this post, but I am seriously curious. Again, not being a dick.
04 RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Welcome to the Club
My advice is to not jump into it too quickly.
Take some time and have fun with it, browse this forum for awhile and let your plan evolve
It's real easy to spend a ton of money on things that you will change your mind about. If you take your time you'll still spend a ton of money but you can make every dollar count
Look through the F.A.Q. there are some great ideas and build threads in there!
X3 What he said...

You don't need a lift to run 33" tires, just the proper backspacing or spacers on the wheels. Do whatever you want, If the Paint / Powder coat on the Wheels is costing more than a $150 I recommend that you look at aftermarket wheels with the proper backspacing. Nothing wrong with the stock rubicon wheels (I run them) but I personally wouldn't spend a bunch of $$$ to modify them.

I lifted mine 2.5" with a R\C budget-spacer lift. I don't regret doing it, I like the new height and the leveled stance... But I am also glad that I waited almost 2 years to lift it:

#1 I waited until my 3/36 warranty was over

#2 It took me about 2 minutes to decide that I wasn't satisfied w/ the stock tires once the lift was on...

So its a good thing that my tires are due for replacement so I'm not tossing out a perfectly good set of tires to make it look right.
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I started out with an X. Put some big old full size 33" tires and heavy rims on it and it looked good, but I found it was lacking in both power and a few other things.

In the last week I put regular Rubicon tires/rims on it. Along with the 2.5" lift, I think it looks pretty good. For the average people Rubicon rims/tires and a modest lift if any more than meet our needs and still give the rig a bit of personality.

When you start talking larger tires/heavier rims, etc... then you really need to look at things like regearing.

IMO a stock size offroad pattern tire, or a slightly larger 285/70/17 size tire is a good compromise and look for the average daily driver and moderate off roader.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
mkfmedic

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am not in any hurry to place a lift on the Rubicon, it is more than capable stock. But as you look through these forums and the many awesome builds... you seem to get an itch. The original question came from what one of the guys at the shop, so I appreciate the experience on this forum.

My Jeep is White, so I really wanted to go black and white, so that is where I'm going to leave it for a while. I am going to keep this Jeep for a long time, so I will take the advice of getting to know my vehicle, do some research and figure out what will work for me.

04 Rubi - To answer your question.... I've always wanted a Jeep Rubicon, have always enjoyed driving back roads, off road, and going places others can't. I wanted the most capable vehicle, ready to go as is, and the Jeep Rubicon more than fits that bill. I've waited 41 years to purchase the car "I" wanted and can afford it, so that is exactly why I bought a Rubicon. Don't be sorry for your post, I appreciate your honesty, but I'm not interested in a monster build. I am interested in having something that doesn't appear stock, has some personality, but still functions well as a daily driver. BTW - where can I get the fenders and tires for a $140 bucks worth of tint? That sounds like a great deal.

I appreciate all the input and will hold off on any suspension changes until I spend more time with my Jeep and thinking about what will work for me.

Thanks Again,

Mike
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
04 RUBI
2009 JK Wrangler 

http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43862

Do this. Do not waste your money on 1/2" tire size. Trying to help dude. For what it's worth.
04 RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
russ1436
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a white 2 door 2008 Rubicon. I put the teraflex leveling kit on it, some pro comp extreme alloys and 33" (My Rubicon wheels and tires went on the wifes 4 door). I got quite a bit of lift from stock out of doing it - almost 3 inches. I can't go much higher because i use a parking garage and I'm pretty close to the roof!
russ1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
jcarker

it's a jeep. anything you do to it won't be good enough. you will end up changing it later on anyways. have fun with it and keep the accessories coming.
jcarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the very nice white Rubicon...I love them in white..
I think one other thing you might want to consider is your timeline. So if you spend 100$ on a leveling kit right now, and finally get around to lifting it in a couple of years, so what? You made yours that tiny bit more unique in the meantime.
If you're going to lift it in 6 months, I'd hold off.
It's funny, people agonize over 33's or 35's, but when you really start thinking about it, with all the other infrastructure changes necessary, you'll be ready fot the 35's by the time the 33's are pretty much shot....

I like your initial changes, small, effective, make it yours for a small amount.
Hang out here, read threads, make a plan, it will come together in your head all by itself. There is a HUGE knolwedgebase here. Learn as much as you can, and make your own decision, it will be easy because it will just "happen".
In the meantime, you ENJOY the crap out of your Jeep!!
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

Haven't had mine for 3 months and I've already dropped 2k in it easy. I had to slow myself down . Well more like a leaking differential seal slowed me down. It gives me something to wrench for the next couple days at least.
Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
mkfmedic

Wow! Again guys thanks for everyone's input. After weighing my options, these are going to be my initial changes. Yesterday, I took of the side decals and the JEEP Emblem. I like the clean look, but am considering painting the JEEP Emblem in flat black and putting it back on the front. I am dropping the jeep off today to have the wheels powdercoated flat black (about $65, per wheel with balancing), and am having them put in my RECON smoked lens lights to replace the front orange ones. I am going to go ahead and level the front. Finally, when they arrive, I will be adding the ACE engineering side rails over the Rubicon Rock Rails (Step for the kids and I think they look great).

I am still researching racks, I live in Huntington Beach and love the water, so I need to have racks. I am also an avid camper, hiker who could use the utility. I'm looking at the Front Runner 1.4m basket on rails and other options. Would love to hear what works for you guys or what you think might work best. After that, my "Plan" is to be done for a while, until I need to replace the stock tires and then I'll have had time to consider a lift, tires, and wheel upgrads (if any).

Thanks again for all your thoughts.

Mike
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Mike, congrats on your Rubicon. I put 1" Teraflex spacers (less than 40 US$ ) on top of the front coils and now the stance is much more leveled, but still has a little rake. I use my Rubicon also as a DD and went with the BFG MT KM2 in 255/80R17 (33"), the ride got a little bit softer, nothing else changed or had to be changed.
Have fun.
Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------
08 Unlimited Rubicon
98 TJ Sahara fully locked

Last edited by JLC08JK; 01-31-2011 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: removed link of advertising
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you have a 2-door Rubi, idk how this goes Rubi to Rubi, but for an X or Sahara 2dr, putting springs off of a 4dr Rubicon will add lift. It could possibly give you some lift also, that is of course if you have a 2dr and get them off a 4dr. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, don't really jump into the mods right off the bat, I've had my Sahara since November and my first mod will be my jeepforum.com decal that I'm putting on this weekend lol. I've been looking at mods since the day I got it and am still trying to decide what I want. Get it offroad and enjoy it a ton. Welcome to the boards.
john304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.