2011 Dash Removal + Lockpick + camera - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2011 Dash Removal + Lockpick + camera

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
njaimet
2010 JK Wrangler 

Good info

njaimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
scott0531

Hey, I am very interested in your post as I think it is stupid to have to stop to enter an address into the nav system---when my passenger is perfectly capable of doing this while I drive. I would LOVE a back up camera... They offer it for the Cherokees but not for the Wrangers. I would like to buy the Cherokee kit to put on our new Rubicon. Do you have any pictures or links to any websites that might help me with this, or can this even be done? Thanks, Scott
scott0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #18
J_Westy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxjoe View Post
First you have to remove a total of 4 screws. The panel under the steering wheel just pulls off to expose 2 of these screws. The third screw is behind the power window panel in the center of the dash. (If you dont have power windows I think its just a cubby) Remove this panel by pulling out to expose the third screw. The 4th screw is under the plastic mat in the console on top of the dash.

Once you remove these 4 screws the dash just pulls off. You have to unclip the power supply to the power window panel in order to remove the dash.
The screws have the hex head so a socket set is necessary.
Good info. Thanks.

So there's nothing holding on the right side of the dash?

I'm planning on installing some heated seats and need to get to the cigar lighter...
J_Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #19
nmroper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmroper View Post
rxjoe, i just installed the lockpick onto an 2011 RHB into a 2008 jeep JK. Everthing is unlocked and working except for the nav on motion. What functionality didn't you have?
I spoke with coastaltech (Alan/Brett) today, they are still about 2 weeks away from getting the update to support the RHBs for the Dodge and the Wranglers.
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #20
icohn

Does entire dash get removed or just the center dash by radio section?
icohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #21
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icohn View Post
Does entire dash get removed or just the center dash by radio section?
Sounds like you're afraid to hurt your new little Jeep Just kidding, icohn is actually my father (seriously).

Once you get some answers I'm happy to give you a hand installing it. Mine was super easy once I figured out how to stuff all the wires back in. Just be sure you get the LockPick updated for the 2011 so we don't have to tear into it again to update it
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
rxjoe
2011 JK Wrangler 

The dash piece comes off from the center console over to the drivers door. On the right side (center console) there was a screw behind the power window switches and one on top of the dash unde that center console. Been a couple weeks but thats what I remember.

I didnt have nav or video in motion. I did have the rear camera and VES options.
rxjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #23
icohn

Thanks rxjoe, I had a feeling that more than just the center would have to come off ... this will help a lot!
icohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #24
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here is a little aside.

I have a 2010 radio in my truck and my lockpick doesn't work right. I tried to update it to their latest firmware and my laptop or desktop won't connect via USB. Anyone else have that issue or a fix?
MikeTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #25
mickeymeanie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlporter View Post
How did you pull off the power window switch panel. It's in there really tight, and I don't want to break anything trying to pull it out. How did you do it?
Just to clarify, when pulling the window switch, is it just the cover for the switches that comes out or was it the entire switch (buttons and all) that pops out?

Also, on the dash part under the steering wheel, does it just pop out? Are there clips, snaps, etc???

Yeah, I'm scared of hurting my Jeep... well, actually it's my wife's Jeep which is the REAL reason I don't want to hurt it... I'd never hear the end of it!!
mickeymeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #26
rxjoe
2011 JK Wrangler 

under steering wheel just pops off. window siwtches come out when you pull on them
rxjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #27
mickeymeanie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Got my lockpick installed. Took my time because I am never comfortable tearing into a brand new vehicle like that... Once I got it all apart it was clear how simple this is...

The NAV address input in motion appears to be working, but video in motion is not... That is a huge bummer, I have they get this update out soon. I was really hoping to have the video working for a road trip, by doesn't appear to be in the cards.

Next will be adding a rearview camera. Do I need the extra harness sold on coastals website? I didn't think I did, but now I'm not sure after reading the directions and seeing the normal harness.

I put the lockpick unit in the glovebox. Just enough room to slide the wires through and into the glove box.
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #28
mickeymeanie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Talked to Coastal tech support today... the update for the RBH Nav radios is SUPPOSED to be available in 3 days... Here's hoping!

Also, if you order this and plan to add rearview camera or any other audio/video devices, you must order the additional media wire harness to do so... I only point this out because I didn't realize it and had to call and order that today.
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #29
UncieB

God I need to get a good alarm!!
UncieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #30
mickeymeanie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncieB View Post
God I need to get a good alarm!!
Yep, this was awful easy to remove... a thief would just rip the dash off and unscrew the four bolts holding the stereo unit and be gone.

I've seen a locking cover for the '07-'10 JK's but nothing to fit the '11 new dash yet. I'll be getting one once I find it...

Tags
dash removal , JK Wrangler , lockpick , mygig , radio removal , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.