2010 JK Unlimited Rubicon lift help!? Aev 3.5" with 35s or 37s? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2010 JK Unlimited Rubicon lift help!? Aev 3.5" with 35s or 37s?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 02-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
White_Rubicon16
2012 JK Wrangler 

2010 JK Unlimited Rubicon lift help!? Aev 3.5" with 35s or 37s?

Been doing a lot of research and it seems the the Aev premium lift would suite me best, however I would like to hear other's thoughts and opinions. The 3.5" kit should work great but then comes the question of whether I run 35x12.50 or 37x12.50? Anyone running this setup with any input and pictures would be much appreciated! I've been looking into Nitto trail grapplers but any other suggestions for tires would be great as well! Thanks for your time.

White_Rubicon16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

You can run 35s with stock fenders and 37s with flat fenders. If going the 37s route make sure to look at what you might want to do to beef up the D44.
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
White_Rubicon16
2012 JK Wrangler 

What exaclty would i need to beef up?
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2010 JKUR with AEV 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

I've just upgraded to 5.38 gears and had the front axle sleeved and gusset'ed.

After the gearing, I'd say I am 110% satisfied.

BTW, if you're asking these questions, go with 35" tires. Once you wear out the 35" tires, you'll know all you need to in order to decide if you want to go to 37s.
RubiNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Can look at inner/outter sleeves, c-gussets, HD ball Joints, axle shafts, HD knuckles, truss and I am sure there is more. I went with everything above other than the truss and I am going to order new axle shafts at some point, probably after I break the stock ones. There are alot of guy on here with more knowledge than myself. I have read numerous reports on the stock ball joints being junk and the front D44 having issues with the tube and Cs with 37s (bending an twisting under the load). Some guys on here will tell you that you need to start looking into to hydro assist as well. I personally have no plans for it at the moment.
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
White_Rubicon16
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
Can look at inner/outter sleeves, c-gussets, HD ball Joints, axle shafts, HD knuckles, truss and I am sure there is more. I went with everything above other than the truss and I am going to order new axle shafts at some point, probably after I break the stock ones. There are alot of guy on here with more knowledge than myself. I have read numerous reports on the stock ball joints being junk and the front D44 having issues with the tube and Cs with 37s (bending an twisting under the load). Some guys on here will tell you that you need to start looking into to hydro assist as well. I personally have no plans for it at the moment.
Thanks a lot i'll start looking into those options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiNoob View Post
I have a 2010 JKUR with AEV 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

I've just upgraded to 5.38 gears and had the front axle sleeved and gusset'ed.

After the gearing, I'd say I am 110% satisfied.

BTW, if you're asking these questions, go with 35" tires. Once you wear out the 35" tires, you'll know all you need to in order to decide if you want to go to 37s.
Any Pics? What was the cost of the lift and tires? And cost to regear? Just trying to get a rough estimate if i can thanks i appreciate it.
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
fish88
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm running the AEV 4.5 with 37x12.5 MTZ's- re-geared to 5:13
If you plan to offroad you will rub with 3.5 and 37s.
I have not done anything yet to strengthen the D44. To my knowledge, most of the guys that change inner/outter sleeves, c-gussets, HD ball Joints, axle shafts, HD knuckles, truss etc. have problems with running the D30 stock with 37's. I could be wrong though as am I am sure there are a lot of guys here who know better.
rubi1.jpg  
fish88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
White_Rubicon16
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish88 View Post
I'm running the AEV 4.5 with 37x12.5 MTZ's- re-geared to 5:13
If you plan to offroad you will rub with 3.5 and 37s.
I have not done anything yet to strengthen the D44. To my knowledge, most of the guys that change inner/outter sleeves, c-gussets, HD ball Joints, axle shafts, HD knuckles, truss etc. have problems with running the D30 stock with 37's. I could be wrong though as am I am sure there are a lot of guys here who know better.
WOW !!! great looking rig and thanks for your input ! How much would you say it cost you to lift, get tires, and regear?
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

You can run 37's on the 3.5" AEV suspension with oem fenders if you use the interchangable rear bump stops in the 4.5" position, this according to AEV. And Dave Harriton drove a 3.5" lifted, 37" tire 2 door diesel at EJS last year....

I run AEV's 4.5" suspsension and 37's on the stock D44 and no issues so far. Rather than beefing up the oem D44, if/when I bend the tube I'll upgrade to a Dynatrac. It's the tubes that are the real weak point.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
fish88
2008 JK Wrangler 

White_Rubicon16 -
Thanks...
Doing the work yourself can definitely save - as I did... If you have it done, figure $15K which includes front and rear bumper/tire carrier with winch. I did it for slightly less.
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
fish88
2008 JK Wrangler 

Re-gearing typically runs around $1200. +/-
Wheels/tires depends on type but AVE + 37 MTZ's ran around $680 ea. set
4.5 AEV Lift alone w/o install $1800 - (recommend upgrading to reservoir shocks +$)
Hope this helps...
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
bconrad5150
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just lifted mine with the 3.5" and 35" Duratracs. Threw in some 5.38's as well. It rides great. I am very satisfied. I will try and get some pics soon.
bconrad5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish88 View Post
Re-gearing typically runs around $1200. +/-
Wheels/tires depends on type but AVE + 37 MTZ's ran around $680 ea. set
4.5 AEV Lift alone w/o install $1800 - (recommend upgrading to reservoir shocks +$)
Hope this helps...
According to Dave Harriton, AEV chief and founder, you don't need the remote reservoir shocks unless you spend a lot of time running fast washboard, like the long desert trails where mono tubes can experience fade from heat build up...

I have the AEV 4.5" suspension and 37's and in 42k miles I have experienced no fade on the mixed terrain I have run with the mono tube Bilsteins, and fade is what the remore reservoir shocks are designed to prevent.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
White_Rubicon16
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all your input, great info!
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
I'd say hydro assist is pretty close to a must. I'm just running 35's and have been in plenty of situations where I wished I had it...its on the short list.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aev , lift kit , rubicon , unlimited , wrangler jk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.