2010 JK Suspension Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2010 JK Suspension Help

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
GrayHall

2010 JK Suspension Help

Im about to pick up a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 6 speed. Im going to get a lift/wheels/tires soon after. I love the look of a 4" lift with 35s but i talked to a guy at a local shop and he strongly discouraged it. He said it would kill my gas mileage and make the jeep really strain up hills unless i swapped out the gears. He reccommended going with a 2" lift and 33" tires. So I guess what im asking is will it really be that bad on stock gears with 35s? And if so how much would it cost to put in 4.88 or 5.13 gears in? He said it would run $1500 per axel. Oh and he also mention getting a chip would help...a little. Thanks advance for the help!

GrayHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

OK, yes, it will kill your mileage, especially if you drive in the hills, not to mention take a pretty good toll on your performance...if the Jeep has 3.21 gears, you made need a carrier change, but if it has 3.73 gears, then you would just need to regear, and you should be able to do it all for less than the price quoted for one axle...the superchips actually helps quite a bit apparently, do a search, there is a really good thread about it here...good luck with your purchase...

for what its worth, 33s hurt my mileage and I wish I had gone with 35s to begin with...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
ToddAPhillips

I just bought a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon and have been doing the same searching. From my understanding, for you 6 speed and 35's you should regear to 4.88 - considering X gearing comes at 3.21 or 3.73 it is cheaper and easier to swap from the 3.73 than it is from the 3.21. I haven't seen any numbers from anyone concerning the MPG hit you will take. Mine is a daily driver for the next 6 months or so. I love the look of the 35's on a 4" lift as well but I might just opt for 33's on a 2.5-3" lift. I don't know if I will even truley need the 35's and I am all about function or aestethics.

There are a couple other really good threads that have discussed this recently. If you are running at 3.21 on the X you might stuggle with 33's without regearing. Rubicon's come at 4.10 so I don't think they would have any problem at 33."

So if you haven't bought the X, maybe consider a Rubicon.
ToddAPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

$1,500 Per axle sounds like Dealer pricing...

33" VS 35" Best advice START reading posts in this forum.

4" lift for 35" tires is Overkill IMHO. 2-1/2" is all you need unless you want it Krazy Mall Krawler tall.

Personally I don't like to lift any more than absolutely required to fit the tires I desire.

35" tires are going to require all sorts of other Upgrades and can have problems like Death Wobble. Do your homework.

Not to mention that if you are worried about MPG it's pretty much never impressive with 35" tires.
Unread 04-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

No carrier change is required on a JK, even with the 3.21's you can go all the way to 5.13's with the thick gears!!!
$1500 is way too high, you should be able to do both axles for close to that price.
Welcome to the club, Guys

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
lotus03
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Return View Post
$1,500 Per axle sounds like Dealer pricing...

33" VS 35" Best advice START reading posts in this forum.

4" lift for 35" tires is Overkill IMHO. 2-1/2" is all you need unless you want it Krazy Mall Krawler tall.

Personally I don't like to lift any more than absolutely required to fit the tires I desire.

35" tires are going to require all sorts of other Upgrades and can have problems like Death Wobble. Do your homework.

Not to mention that if you are worried about MPG it's pretty much never impressive with 35" tires.
yeah i have a first phase mod plan all researched and and priced out that contains 3.5" lift adn 35's. But then i read some articles on warranty issues and also death wobble. So im kicking around idea of going with teraflex leveling kit with 33's and new wheels to eliminate warranty and DW concerns. I have 3 phases of mods i want to plan. But need to make this beginning decison on lift/boost/leveling and tires/wheels right now.

Tags
35s , 5.13 , gas mileage , gears , lift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.