2010 Heater Not blowing Hot Air - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2010 Heater Not blowing Hot Air

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

2010 Heater Not blowing Hot Air

Its luke warm at best... Thankfully, it has a couple months left on the bumper-2-bumper warranty, so its over at the dealership now. They just called and said they looked and couldn't find anything wrong with it...No coolant leaks, thermostat is fine, etc.... So now they want to keep it until Monday, and tear the dash apart to see if the internal doors might be stuck.

Thought I'd throw it out to the community and see if any JK owners have had similar issues...

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/t...vents-1460802/

On the plus side you aren't alone.............

There have also been reports of sand from the casting left inside the block eventually plugging up the heater core.

Best of luck.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Why do people keep throwing out the heater core idea? His heater is blowing hot air, but it's not getting to all the vents.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Confirmed... Its the heater core... But the reason it went bad is casting sand in the coolant... They're going to flush the system and replace the heater core.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

The self check on the heater is REAL simple. remove the glovebox door (squeeze the side stops inward and lower it).

Then cycle the heater defroster ac etc and see if the diverter is working. On heater mode you should NOT be able to hold your hand up next to the core without a five second discomfort from too hot - if warm, not enough coolant flow. If hot but the heat does not come out - motor controller switch etc for the diverter.

My 11 froze the motor at ~7k miles and dealer replaced under warranty - after I spent an hour playing with it and scalded my fingers twice. Yep - Im a slow learner....
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
The self check on the heater is REAL simple. remove the glovebox door (squeeze the side stops inward and lower it).

Then cycle the heater defroster ac etc and see if the diverter is working. On heater mode you should NOT be able to hold your hand up next to the core without a five second discomfort from too hot - if warm, not enough coolant flow. If hot but the heat does not come out - motor controller switch etc for the diverter.

My 11 froze the motor at ~7k miles and dealer replaced under warranty - after I spent an hour playing with it and scalded my fingers twice. Yep - Im a slow learner....
x2. If the core is blocked, no heat will come through it at all.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
wranged
2015 JK Wrangler 

2010 Heater Core JKU

Just had mine replaced under warranty. Driver side was blowing lukewarm air at defroster and foot well. Dealer added a "solvent" in the coolant to run for a week in an attempt to dissolve whatever is clogging the cores. No dice!! Took it back and they replaced the core. All is good now and just in time for CCCOLD weather in PA.
wranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yet another case of a dealership that can't think...

There is ONE heater core. If any part of the vehicle is getting hot air, the problem isn't the heater core!

You've got a blend door sticking somewhere. They probably broke it loose moving things around. I hope the problem doesn't come back, because they didn't fix it.

When did mechanics become idiots? My dad did this for 30 years and I did it for four. No one thinks their way through a problem anymore.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Yet another case of a dealership that can't think...

There is ONE heater core. If any part of the vehicle is getting hot air, the problem isn't the heater core!

You've got a blend door sticking somewhere. They probably broke it loose moving things around. I hope the problem doesn't come back, because they didn't fix it.

When did mechanics become idiots? My dad did this for 30 years and I did it for four. No one thinks their way through a problem anymore.
Well, they replaced the heater core. It works great now... I think that was the issue. The heat was progressively getting worse over time, by the time I brought it in, it was almost non-existant.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

If the air was lukewarm at all the vents, then it's entirely possible that the heater core away the problem. If, as you said, it was only the drivers side, then replacing the core didn't do a thing and the issue will likely return.

There is one heater core. It feeds every vent in your vehicle. You cannot have two different temps out of the vents and have a heater core issue.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
wranged
2015 JK Wrangler 

I always understood that there is one heater core and it did not make sense to me that the core was the problem. All I know is that, according to the work order, they replaced the core and a switch and I now have plenty of heat. Perhaps the switch fixed the blend door.
wranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
nickmonaco
2012 JK Wrangler 

Same problem with mine. Just had it fixed. Heater core and cooling system flushed about 3 times. That did it. Now I'm toasty again.
[B][/B][I][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/I]WHITE JEEP CLUB #171

My other Jeep's not a Chrysler.
nickmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bump for an old thread, as I'm running into the same issue with our 2010.

nickmonaco, you said a bunch of flushing took care of it? (Our warranty just expired )

Anyone have instructions on how to flush the cooling system on the JK? I've done it on TJs, anything different?

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
scorpionkill
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was having this problem with my 2008. I discovered after smelling antifreeze that I was loosing coolant but I couldn't see for the life of me where I was loosing it. One day jeep temp got scary hot and heat started blowing ice cold. Got out and heard hissing. I had a pretty decent coolant leak on the front passenger side where the lower intake met the head. I replaced the coolant but then had airlock and kept having the temp go up and loss of heat. Drove like this until I could address it. Had the intake gasket replaced today to the tune of $597.00. I'm glad I had the 4x4 place do it because a bolt broke in the motor and needed to be drilled, it would have been a giant headache for me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.