2010 fog lights - aftermarket replacement bulbs available? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2010 fog lights - aftermarket replacement bulbs available?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
saceone

2010 fog lights - aftermarket replacement bulbs available?

drove to my local 4wd centre hoping to find HID looking bulbs (H10) to replace the crappy OEM fog bulb...no luck, jeep changed the regular H10 bulb in 2009 to whatever little round bulb is on my truck right now...so my question is, can anyone point me in the right direction the upgrade them? thanks in advance,
pierre

saceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
SLIM_SNOOPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by saceone View Post
drove to my local 4wd centre hoping to find HID looking bulbs (H10) to replace the crappy OEM fog bulb...no luck, jeep changed the regular H10 bulb in 2009 to whatever little round bulb is on my truck right now...so my question is, can anyone point me in the right direction the upgrade them? thanks in advance,
pierre
From what I hear, no replacement aftermarket bulb is available as of now. I think they switched to a low consumption 24 watt bulb due to new fog driving light rules for auto mfgrs for the 2010 year.

SLIM_SNOOPY
SLIM_SNOOPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

They changed the fog bulbs for 2010 to a PSX24W, which is very close to an H16. The H16 fits with the removal of one of the mounting tabs.
Unread 08-24-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

If you want something in the stock location, the best performing alternative would be to grind off the mounting studs and fabricate a mount for a pair of Cibie or Hella foglights. Wire them directly to the battery using a fused/relayed harness and one of the stock wires to trip the relay.
It would work TONS better than any sort of bulb swap.

But the easiest, cheapest, and most effective thing to do (and I guess you've already considered it anyhow), is just mount a pair of aftermarket lights on the bumper.
I recommend the Hella 4000s for best value/performance.

And for more overall light and an way to obviate the need for "foglights" in the first place, replace your H13 headlight housings with a pair of Cibie H4 housings from Daniel Stern Lighting & Consultancy. Put in a pair of Osram 70/65 bulbs and buy a wiring harness pre-fabbed from Rallylights.com. This 45 minute mod will more than double your headlight lumen output; the color temperature is optimal for human sight and the throw is outstanding. Those lightbulbs tend to only last 6 months or so; the price for quality light...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #5
saceone

I was looking for a straight up replacement bulb, no luck I guess!
Unread 08-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saceone View Post
I was looking for a straight up replacement bulb, no luck I guess!
Not anything worth a dang.
The new gummint regulations that were put in place this year regarding OE foglight applications have essentially neutered them to prevent glare.
An effective foglight needs to be fairly low and have a very wide spread; too many American drivers were running their foglights in conditions that didn't warrant their use, blinded too many people, and forced additional regulations down our throats.
The stock wiring circuit will conspire against an over-wattage retrofit as well but can still be used very handily to trip a relay.
Aftermarket is the way to go but shy away from fast/dirty/cheap products from dubious manufacturers like Delta.
I'd stick with Hella, Cibie, Marchal for quality. Lightfarce products throw a bunch of light, are very lightweight, but pricey. They also use non-standard bulbs in many of their lights so you need to order and carry spares with fore-thought; beware of their gimmicky colored filters too. The blue filters are plain stupid and the ambers are too amber and illegal to run on the street. You also can't just turn a driving light into a foglight with new lens; you can get close to that function but it isn't a true foglight.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
2k10jk

Psx24w fog lights

I had issue with one of mine burning out. Only play I could find replacement was dealership. $43.52 ea. After a talk with the service manager it was covered as warranty work. I'll be changing mine out soon too.
2k10jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
2k10jk

Place...love the touch screen Droid
2k10jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would also like a replacement bulb option. If someone heres of something let us know plz....
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was contemplating getting a set of 07-09 fog lamps with wiring and trying that. Anyone ever do this?
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
saceone

nothing yet
Unread 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I was contemplating getting a set of 07-09 fog lamps with wiring and trying that. Anyone ever do this?
If it were me, all things considered, that's what I would do. I'd get the older ones and a set of 9155 bulbs for them. From there you'd have to use the stock wiring to trip a relay and run the new lights to the battery from it.
That would give you 55 watts of decently focused true foglight down low; not too shabby.

But if you just want better lights and want to do it the easy way, mount something on the bumper.
I saw in another thread that 4WParts has Optilux 4" HIDs on sale for $99 each right now. That's alot of offroad light for the dollar. Alot.
If you want a driving light that you can use onroad, I still give the nod to the Hella 4000 with the Euro beam. I like the spread from them; very real-world useful.

Unread 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
If it were me, all things considered, that's what I would do. I'd get the older ones and a set of 9155 bulbs for them. From there you'd have to use the stock wiring to trip a relay and run the new lights to the battery from it.
That would give you 55 watts of decently focused true foglight down low; not too shabby.

But if you just want better lights and want to do it the easy way, mount something on the bumper.
I saw in another thread that 4WParts has Optilux 4" HIDs on sale for $99 each right now. That's alot of offroad light for the dollar. Alot.
If you want a driving light that you can use onroad, I still give the nod to the Hella 4000 with the Euro beam. I like the spread from them; very real-world useful.
Honestly, I was going to switch to the older fog lamp because I also went to the dealer and spent 60 bucks for a bulb. Yes, one bulb. I was going to use a stock bulb so I wouldn't need to run a relay. The Sylvania "upgrade" bulbs are only 20 bucks IIRC from Quadratec.

Aux lights are also on my to do list. I just have to figure out where I want them.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 03:04 AM   #14
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The Sylvania "upgrade" bulbs are only 20 bucks IIRC from Quadratec.
You can do better than Sylvania bulbs with almost any other bulb.

Unread 12-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #15
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

oh well you got a light out, sounds like a good reason for the wife to buy you a new bumper for Christmas, lol
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.