2009 Wrangler Unlimited - starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2009 Wrangler Unlimited - starting problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 07-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
keriann
2009 JK Wrangler 

2009 Wrangler Unlimited - starting problems

I'm trying to find out if anyone else has been having the same problems in their 2009 [or a year around it] Wrangler Unlimited 4-door Jeeps. Mine is the Sahara edition, with a stock remote start. I have taken it to the dealership, however they just say they can't diagnose it without it actually happen... which is:

When I turn the key in the ignition, it clicks but does not start. Radio and lights all come on. This can keep going for 1-2 more tries of starting, up to sitting there for 10 minutes with no luck. It happens on and off, but has been having occurring more often lately. It does not matter if it's the morning, afternoon, if I've just driven and parked for less than 5 minutes, or if it's been parked for 5 days.

Over the winter it also happened, and the dealership replaced the "clock spring" and it worked for awhile. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have to replace that every 6 months!

Also, this can also happen when I use the remote start... the Jeep beeps twice, you hear the click, but does not start. If I try to use the remote start again, it only beeps once. On one occasion it set the alarm off.

Anyone else have this problem? The only factor that may be consistent is possibly humidity - I live in SE Michigan. The only aftermarket part I have are HID headlights from carhidkits.com -- the fog lights are NOT working, possibly because of a blown fuse. I haven't checked...

Any help or suggestions would be great!

keriann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have that problem- started happening about 6 months ago.

In my case- its the Park safety switch. Usually just turning the key a few times works. In the few instances where it refused to start after a few key turns, I just moved the shifter out of Park and then back to Park. The safety switch just isn't engaging.

Since it happens with your remote start, I would guess that the safety switch is the most likely culprit

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I have that problem- started happening about 6 months ago.

In my case- its the Park safety switch. Usually just turning the key a few times works. In the few instances where it refused to start after a few key turns, I just moved the shifter out of Park and then back to Park. The safety switch just isn't engaging.

Since it happens with your remote start, I would guess that the safety switch is the most likely culprit
I have the same issue with the Park safety switch (BTW I never said thanks for helping me figure out what was going wrong N2rock, so thanks ).

When it happens for me I just give the gear selector a push towards the front of the Jeep and that works 99% of the time.
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
keriann
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your help! I tried it this morning, but didn't push it forward... just into Neutral and back - no luck. A few tries later it finally turned on. I'm sure I'll be trying the other method soon!
keriann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , neutral safety switch , park safety switch , starting problem , won't start , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.