2009 auto trans shudder problem HELP! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2009 auto trans shudder problem HELP!

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
What you describe sounds like it's going into overdrive, then the torque converter locks up.
When you press on the gas pedal, the gearing is too high to get any acceleration. Further pressing finally makes it unlock, and possibly downshift.

I leave the overdrive off around town for this very reason.

I have also found that if I stab the pedal a little, (not to the floor), it will make it downshift a lot sooner than if I press slowly.
That's exactly what it feels like. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is this a "problem" I should have looked at, or just the way the gearing is and TC is?

TWISTEDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTEDII View Post
That's exactly what it feels like. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is this a "problem" I should have looked at, or just the way the gearing is and TC is?
It's not a problem, as long as you don't get a vibration that feels like you are driving over a washboard. That would be a torque converter or software problem.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Same problem here with the washboard-shudder. Normally at 40-55mph and backing uphill. I turn off od and this helps a lot. When I'm coming into town from hwy driving(at around 45mph) if I don't turn off od there are times the jk feels like it is going to shake apart if I stay on the gas. I'd take it in but I'm really tired of visiting the dealer and I just don't want to spend the money on a low mileage vehicle, which if I continue to ignore it I'm gonna probably pay more. This started at around 40,000 miles and I now have just over 50,000. I'm starting a help whitejk jeep fund. If I can collect enough money from you guys I'll go ahead and install a v-8 and tranny of you guyses choice.
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
KYJeepMan1
2009 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE: We have driven over 200 miles after the reflash. So far it has'nt done it again. Well see if this takes care of the shudder issue. I have to say we really like the way this newer jeep drives and rides. But i do miss my 94.
KYJeepMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just spoke to my local dealership and they said any software updates or reflashing is typically covered for 8 years. I'm taking mine in because I'm beginning to feel a little rumble strip feeling if I pay attention to it when my car does what I explained before.
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTEDII View Post
I just spoke to my local dealership and they said any software updates or reflashing is typically covered for 8 years. I'm taking mine in because I'm beginning to feel a little rumble strip feeling if I pay attention to it when my car does what I explained before.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

To be honest I was hoping you had the answer Ronjenx. You're like MacGyver's smarter brother.
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
jvandy50
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJK View Post
Same problem here with the washboard-shudder. Normally at 40-55mph and backing uphill. I turn off od and this helps a lot. When I'm coming into town from hwy driving(at around 45mph) if I don't turn off od there are times the jk feels like it is going to shake apart if I stay on the gas. I'd take it in but I'm really tired of visiting the dealer and I just don't want to spend the money on a low mileage vehicle, which if I continue to ignore it I'm gonna probably pay more. This started at around 40,000 miles and I now have just over 50,000. I'm starting a help whitejk jeep fund. If I can collect enough money from you guys I'll go ahead and install a v-8 and tranny of you guyses choice.
i have this exact problem and seems pretty common. has anyone here tried a shudder stop additive? we recently added some to a troublesome ford tranny and it worked wonders.

mine started doing this the day after i added a dynomax muffler, coincidence i know, but still weird
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.