2009 auto trans shudder problem HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2009 auto trans shudder problem HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
KYJeepMan1
2009 JK Wrangler 

2009 auto trans shudder problem HELP!

Well my new 2009 has 28k, and i've drivin it twice since i bought it saterday. It drives like a new one but sometimes while driving down the road it starts to shudder. It's like running over a rumble strip for a few seconds. The 3 year warranty ran out 3 weeks ago.

I hope the dealer will stand behind the jeep and correct the issue.
Is there any advice that will help me get this problem solved?
I know there was a TSB back in 07, so they have had this problem for awhile.
Also does the jeep have a powertrain warranty that extends past 3 years?
Thanks for any help and advice.

KYJeepMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If it's doing it around 35 to 45 mph, try turning off the overdrive when you first start it up, and keep it off unless you get on the highway.

See if that prevents the shudder.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
WXman
2001 WJ 

The torque converters are garbage in these things. My '11 has shuddered since new, particularly at lower speeds or when backing into my driveway. A TC that has stronger springs would solve 99% of the problems with shuddering and vibration on these things.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
The torque converters are garbage in these things. My '11 has shuddered since new, particularly at lower speeds or when backing into my driveway. A TC that has stronger springs would solve 99% of the problems with shuddering and vibration on these things.
What springs are you referring to?
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
What springs are you referring to?
This was also a common problem on the CRD Jeeps sold here in the states. The torque converter dampener springs were spec'd for the gas models (Ram trucks, etc.). So they were fine. But when they put those same converters in the Jeep CRDs the TC springs were not strong enough to hold the diesel torque. The updated Mopar converters that came out a few years later were the exact same converters as far as the body, fins, etc.. but the springs were upgraded. It solved all the chattering and shuddering problems and made the vehicle drive better.

I used to have a pic of a Mopar converter cut open so you could see how they upgraded the springs.. but I can't find that pic.

In any case, having dealt with this before.. as soon as I took ownership of this '11 JK I quickly noticed that it has a garbage torque converter in it. I could barely back into my driveway on stock tires. It was sad. The 4.88s are helping out quite a bit.

Edit:

I found the pics. Notice how the newer Mopar converters for the Jeep Liberty now have stiffer springs in them.
oldsprings.jpg   newsprings.jpg  
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
KYJeepMan1
2009 JK Wrangler 

So should the dealer sugest a newer TC, or will they just say that's the way it works?
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the photos. I had not seen that view before.

I guess the torque converters that had to be replaced for shuddering had problems in this area.

Some of the shudder problems were caused by low pressure to, or improper modulation of, the converter clutch. I believe those were fixed with a program change.

I'm not getting any shudder at all on my '08.
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYJeepMan1 View Post
So should the dealer sugest a newer TC, or will they just say that's the way it works?
The JK NEEDS a heavier-duty torque converter. But the odds of Jeep having an updated part for JKs like they do KJs is unlikely. So, they will say "it's normal" and send you on your way.

It's a shame, because I've read countless threads about JK owners experiencing the shudder issues...but the aftermarket largely never comes up with upgrades for the transmissions on these things.

Companies like Suncoast can sell you a torque converter for your Jeep that will solve most issues. But that's an expensive way to go and I would see what your dealer will actually do for you other than the TC that might fix your problem first. Always try the cheap options first.. if in the end you still get the shudder, a stronger torque converter may be the last resort.
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
KYJeepMan1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok thanks for the info.
It's not that bad to drive, it's just that the jeep only has 28k and is like new. I will let u know what the dealer says and does.
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Funny, I've seen two, maybe three mentions of a shudder problem in a Jeep tranny. My 2009 doesn't do this at all.

Take it back. Something isn't right.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Funny, I've seen two, maybe three mentions of a shudder problem in a Jeep tranny. My 2009 doesn't do this at all.

Take it back. Something isn't right.
I've seen two, maybe three THREADS about a shudder in a Jeep tranny. And each thread had maybe 20 people complaining about the same thing.

On the Jeep Liberty the problem became so epidemic (because the diesel torque makes it more noticeable) that they were replacing torque converters for free even out of warranty. On the JK, the engine is so weak that it's not as noticeable and a lot of people just live with it. But it's there.. it's definitely there. Trying to back my small utility trailer into my driveway was like sitting on a washing machine during the spin cycle prior to the 4.88 gears. These TCs just have no grip at all.
Unread 01-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had this same issue with mine early on. It disappeared shortly after I changed the ATF.

If that JK hasn't had an auxiliary trans cooler installed there's a good chance the trans oil has been cooked. Step one, put a cooler on it before it goes up in flames like a bonfire, second, in the process of installing the cooler, flush out the trans oil and pour in some fresh ATF-4.

The latter procedure is easy, peasy: Install the new cooler kit, attach the pressure side of the return hose to the input port of the new cooler. Run about a five foot length of tranny hose from the return port on the new cooler into a clear container pre-marked in one quart increments. An old milk bottle will do. Start the engine and pump out two quarts of ATF, shut the engine off. Pour two fresh quarts back in. Repeat about five more times. Voila, fresh fluid. Connect the return hose port at the new cooler to the cut at the stock line. Done. In about 1k miles after the ATF flush the shudder completely disappeared on mine.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
KYJeepMan1
2009 JK Wrangler 

The dealer reflashed the trans controller. I have to drive 200 miles to reset, and then we will see if it helps.
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am trying to figure out if this issues is the same as mine. If not, I will keep searching or start a new thread.

I have an 08 with 16k. When I'm around 40ish mph, it feels like my RPMs drop and I get stuck in like, a dead zone where my throttle doesn't want to work as I slowly push the gas. Finally it seems like it downshifts and the RPMs jump up. If I have OD off, it doesn't seem to do it. I do get a slight, vibrating kinda hesitation feeling. Is this kind of what you're experiencing, or is it something different.

I have a 30 day unlimited warranty since I just bought it last week, so anything I need fixed I wanna do now before I have a 300 dollar deductible with my 100k warranty, lol.
TWISTEDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTEDII View Post
I am trying to figure out if this issues is the same as mine. If not, I will keep searching or start a new thread.

I have an 08 with 16k. When I'm around 40ish mph, it feels like my RPMs drop and I get stuck in like, a dead zone where my throttle doesn't want to work as I slowly push the gas. Finally it seems like it downshifts and the RPMs jump up. If I have OD off, it doesn't seem to do it. I do get a slight, vibrating kinda hesitation feeling. Is this kind of what you're experiencing, or is it something different.

I have a 30 day unlimited warranty since I just bought it last week, so anything I need fixed I wanna do now before I have a 300 dollar deductible with my 100k warranty, lol.
What you describe sounds like it's going into overdrive, then the torque converter locks up.
When you press on the gas pedal, the gearing is too high to get any acceleration. Further pressing finally makes it unlock, and possibly downshift.

I leave the overdrive off around town for this very reason.

I have also found that if I stab the pedal a little, (not to the floor), it will make it downshift a lot sooner than if I press slowly.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.