2009 3.8 Where's my oil going? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2009 3.8 Where's my oil going?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

so what goes on with the dealer. are they fixing the engine or giving you your money back? make sure they don't pull a fast one and just put some very heavy oil in there. you will want a receipt detailing what was done and a reasonable warranty on the repair.

pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you bought a used car! Buy some oil and drive it.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap View Post
you bought a used car! Buy some oil and drive it.
I've put in over 2 oil changes worth of oil in under 1 oil change. Too much consumption for me.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'd take it back to toyota and get your money back or trade for a toyota tacoma trd.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Took the jeep back, traded it in for a 2006 WK Limited with the hemi Big difference in power there. Half the miles, better fuel economy, and cheaper to boot.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

FWIW, when my 2007 hit 69,000 miles, it suddenly started using oil but has kept it at a constant rate. I am now at 75,000 miles. Every tank of gas, which only lasts me 260 miles, I check my oil. Every other tank I end up adding half of a quart. That is about 1 quart per thousand miles. I have not taken it to the dealer for this issue, as it has been documented on this forum that that is acceptable oil consumption for a JK according to many dealers across the country. For a period of time, the 3.8L engines were assembled in Mexico and they did not stagger the rings. That's the best answer that has turned up over the years since the JK's introduction.

So what do I do? In the little storage compartment in the rear of my JK, I keep a small funnel, two quarts of oil, and a roll of blue Scott shop paper towels. When I get to the gas station, I put the pump on automatic and set it to slow then I check my oil, add as needed, and have a look around under the hood while the gas is filling up.

For the record, when this engine needs replacing, instead of another JK or another 3.8L, I am going with a panther diesel, here:

http://dieseltoys.com/jeep
Unread 08-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
FWIW, when my 2007 hit 69,000 miles, it suddenly started using oil but has kept it at a constant rate. I am now at 75,000 miles. Every tank of gas, which only lasts me 260 miles, I check my oil. Every other tank I end up adding half of a quart. That is about 1 quart per thousand miles. I have not taken it to the dealer for this issue, as it has been documented on this forum that that is acceptable oil consumption for a JK according to many dealers across the country. For a period of time, the 3.8L engines were assembled in Mexico and they did not stagger the rings. That's the best answer that has turned up over the years since the JK's introduction.

So what do I do? In the little storage compartment in the rear of my JK, I keep a small funnel, two quarts of oil, and a roll of blue Scott shop paper towels. When I get to the gas station, I put the pump on automatic and set it to slow then I check my oil, add as needed, and have a look around under the hood while the gas is filling up.

For the record, when this engine needs replacing, instead of another JK or another 3.8L, I am going with a panther diesel, here:

http://dieseltoys.com/jeep

24k yikes! Just out of curiosity, how soon after the new JK's came out did someone realize there was a serious problem with oil consumption, and at what point did they get it corrected?
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post
24k yikes! Just out of curiosity, how soon after the new JK's came out did someone realize there was a serious problem with oil consumption, and at what point did they get it corrected?
It never was corrected. The answer from Jeep has always been one quart per thousand miles is within acceptable design limits.

On the other hand, for the people that have the pentastar engine which some people claimed was the second coming of Jesus Christ, they are dealing with ticking problems and head replacements. I'll gladly add oil to the 3.8L than go through the hassle of head replacement on a pentastar.

The price for the diesel conversion is right in line with the 5.7L hemi conversion (larger hemis are significantly higher) and the LS conversion. Given the choice of the hemi, the LS, or the panther diesel, I'll take the panther diesel. I have so much into my JK that it actually makes sense to think about these alternatives compared to getting new bone stock JK and starting over. The diesel is more of a Jeep engine, what I like to describe as a tractor engine, compared to the hemi and the LS are more sports car type of engines.
Unread 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It never was corrected. The answer from Jeep has always been one quart per thousand miles is within acceptable design limits.

On the other hand, for the people that have the pentastar engine which some people claimed was the second coming of Jesus Christ, they are dealing with ticking problems and head replacements. I'll gladly add oil to the 3.8L than go through the hassle of head replacement on a pentastar.

The price for the diesel conversion is right in line with the 5.7L hemi conversion (larger hemis are significantly higher) and the LS conversion. Given the choice of the hemi, the LS, or the panther diesel, I'll take the panther diesel. I have so much into my JK that it actually makes sense to think about these alternatives compared to getting new bone stock JK and starting over. The diesel is more of a Jeep engine, what I like to describe as a tractor engine, compared to the hemi and the LS are more sports car type of engines.
So, for 2008-2011, they never corrected the problems at the assembly plant? I know I put about 5k on mine per year, changing it every 5k. Uses no oil.
Unread 08-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post
So, for 2008-2011, they never corrected the problems at the assembly plant? I know I put about 5k on mine per year, changing it every 5k. Uses no oil.
The engines that were affected were the ones assembled in Mexico, which was a significant number. At some point, they were no longer assembled in Mexico, so the problem went away naturally. Before a certain date, they were not assembled in Mexico.

I had zero oil consumption until 69,000 miles. Now, it's just like clockwork.
Unread 08-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

I like the idea of a diesel, but 25k is a lot to put into a used Jeep. 10k I can see.
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #27
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

There are many possible reasons for an engine to burn or lose oil.
There has never been one single reason for the problems with the 3.8, which is in other vehicles besides the JK.
Some engines had oil loss problems right out of the gate. Others developed it over time, still others had it happen suddenly.

There were definitely incorrectly assembled JKs (upside down rings, misaligned, etc.) but it was never proven that those were only assembled in Mexico or were a cluster of any sort. (The blocks are stamped with a code of origin, so it is demonstrable). There were also poorly cast housings that were known to weep oil, PCV valves that became stuck, gasket failures, and the favorite culprit... that thin 5w-20. No one cause has ever been shown to be the reason.

Some folk changed oil weight or PCV valve and never had the oil loss again. Others not so lucky.
Some folks got new short blocks others were told "too bad" or "that's acceptable".
Then again, a lot of JKs don't burn a drop between changes.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm confused here. If a vehicle is bought a let say a Toyota dealership and it had warranty who is responsible for the repair?

If they sell a vehicle aren't they liable for warranty work? Or is the original dealer liable?

That seems like a big pile of BS. Lots of dealers sell other makes so....
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #29
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
I'm confused here. If a vehicle is bought a let say a Toyota dealership and it had warranty who is responsible for the repair?

If they sell a vehicle aren't they liable for warranty work? Or is the original dealer liable?

That seems like a big pile of BS. Lots of dealers sell other makes so....
Depends.

The specific dealer may warrant the vehicle (or certain aspects) but it may by under a manufacturer's warranty, too.

If the manufacturer's warranty is transferable then ultimately the manufacturer pays for the fix.

Bottom line is a warranty is just a promise to take care of certain problems should they arise. Some standards are set by law, some by business practice, or incentive to the sale.

For example, a lot of people don't know it but most major credit cards will double a manufacturers warranty up to an additional year for items purchased with the card.
My sister's iPhone (bought with a credit card) had a 1 year warranty but it broke at 23 months. She asked Apple if the repair would have been covered by warranty if the time hadn't past. They said yes. She paid for the repair and applied to her credit card company for reimbursement. The CC paid her back for the repair. Not bad!
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #30
TRAUMAhead
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I had zero oil consumption until 69,000 miles. Now, it's just like clockwork.
Same. 2010, burned no oil till about 55-60k, now it's 1 quart every 1k-1.5k miles. Been using Dino for all it's mileage, going to switch to synthetic on the next oil change.
TRAUMAhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.