JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2009 3.8 Where's my oil going? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2009-3-8-wheres-my-oil-going-1552652/)

xSoFx 07-23-2013 12:25 PM

2009 3.8 Where's my oil going?

I've read all about the oil consumption issues with this motor, but I'd like to delve a little deeper into the issue at hand. My motor seems to be consuming ALOT more than most, 1QT/250 miles. I have no leaks on the ground, the plugs are not fouled and have no smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I've checked for leeks around gaskets and have found nothing.

I did a full Seafoam treatment twice to no avail, not even a smoke show.
I've changed out the PCV valve since it was spitting oil into my air filter. I run 10W30 HM oil. Still the consumption continues.

So I'm just wondering where exactly it's going? I would assume out the exhaust, but it isn't smoking or anything of the like.
I will likely end up having to rebuild the motor but until then, I'll keep pouring oil in her and change the filter every 5k.

442Wrangler 07-23-2013 12:27 PM

Try 5w-20 like the cap says. I use this in my 08 and have never had the oil burning issue. If this doesn't work I would guess it has to be coming out of the exhaust unless a ghost is stealing it. :ghost:

Also just for schitz and giggles, what is the compression in each cylinder?

xSoFx 07-23-2013 12:29 PM

Initially, 5w20 was in it from the dealership. I bought it used a month or so ago. I checked the oil when I got it and it was full. I checked the oil 2 weeks later and found nothing on the dipstick. I may try 5w20 again as it seems no matter what type/brand oil I use it eats it anyway.

442Wrangler 07-23-2013 01:17 PM

Did you try synthetic?

Does your coolant disappear as well?

SoK66 07-23-2013 02:27 PM

Forget the 5w-20, it'll suck that out like like a five cemnt soda pop. You need to do a cylinder leakdown test & see if the rings are holding compression. If they are it's then likely you've either got bad valve stem seals, or some bad valve guides.

xSoFx 07-24-2013 12:55 PM

I've just taken the jeep into the dealership (toyota) and they said they cannot do anything for me. Im being sent to the chrysler dealership right next door for testing. Im under a powertrain warranty which toyota will be paying for so I hope that chrysler will cut the BS and just give me a new motor. Wish me luck;)

T00THD0C 07-24-2013 01:23 PM

OK, good luck.

SoK66 07-24-2013 07:19 PM

Good luck. Be sure and report back.

xSoFx 07-26-2013 03:24 PM

So here's the news:

Chrysler dealership did diagnostic work and decided the motor needs to be pulled for internal work.
The dealership from which I purchased the vehicle(Toyota), does not want to pay for said work. They will attempt to contact the PO (a friend of the dealership's owner) and see if he ever made a complaint to Jeep under warranty. If so, they will try to force Jeep into paying for the motor work.
If that does not work, I have the option of letting them buyback the vehicle and take a trade of equal value.

Sadly, they are a Toyota/GM/Buick dealership so my options are few as far as replacement vehicles. It seems as though my Jeep life will be short lived.

montero1 07-26-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSoFx (Post 15722120)
So here's the news:

Chrysler dealership did diagnostic work and decided the motor needs to be pulled for internal work.
The dealership from which I purchased the vehicle(Toyota), does not want to pay for said work. They will attempt to contact the PO (a friend of the dealership's owner) and see if he ever made a complaint to Jeep under warranty. If so, they will try to force Jeep into paying for the motor work.
If that does not work, I have the option of letting them buyback the vehicle and take a trade of equal value.

Sadly, they are a Toyota/GM/Buick dealership so my options are few as far as replacement vehicles. It seems as though my Jeep life will be short lived.

Will you break even in the buy-back?

xSoFx 07-26-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montero1 (Post 15722200)
Will you break even in the buy-back?

Yes, it will be whatever the purchasing costs were for myself.

pentastarguy 07-27-2013 12:09 AM

you could always say no, "fix the engine". no way would i let them push me into another vehicle on their lot.

montero1 07-27-2013 01:18 AM

I say new engine, or get your money back and go somewhere else and buy a Jeep.

Butterjeep 07-27-2013 08:25 AM

Be polite but firm. You paid for a Jeep in good running order. That is what you should get. If I buy a beer and it's flat, I don't want a glass of milk, I want a glass of nice cold crisp beer!

jwmbishop 07-27-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSoFx (Post 15709521)
I've checked for leeks around gaskets and have found nothing.

I have never found leeks on engines either. As far as that goes - No onions, garlic or kurrat either.... :cheers:

But seriously - sure hope you get some relief from the dealer though.

The time now is 04:17 AM.