2008 Wrangler clock spring - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 Wrangler clock spring

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
houndman72

2008 JK Wrangler 

Who has the letter from Chrysler with the clockspring issue? I'd like to get a copy of that get back with them ASAP. 2008 sahara and this airbag light and dinging is driving me nuts, than my horn works than it doesnt. lol. I'm half tempted to contact my insurance company and let them know that it's a safety liability for their insured policy and see if they can help. I have a lifetime warranty and pretty much JEEP told me to go pound sand on it. They know of the problem and until FORCED by the NHTSB or whomever that is they said, they will not warranty it at all. I'm furious with this company now and will NEVER buy another new jeep. Going back to a 88-92 comanche in the springtime. None of this crap to deal with. $389 to replace it? NOT HAPPENING... And than a 1 year warranty? Seems I have read hundreds upon hundreds of complaints about this. At least offer me to only pay $100. geeze. Cheap idiots...

Rock krawler Stock Mod 2.5, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Mamba M5 18" rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires, Body Armor Front bumper w/winch and LOTS of LED lights all over the place for blinding oncomers! LOL
houndman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
inspmark
2011 JK Wrangler 

After getting jerked around by the dealer, (took it in for replacement, went to pick it up, was informed that the part they had in stock on a Tuesday, they had sold. Knowing my jeep was coming in on Friday, and they gat parts overnight, I think they were screwing with me). I bought mine from an OEM parts website. It was $194 delivered. It took about 45 minutes to change. Lot of good articles and YouTube videos from fellow Jeepers on how to replace it
inspmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #33
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

the reason the CS goes out is dust intrusion. The recall for RHD determined that the clock spring failure was caused by dust collecting on the lubricant that coats the ribbon of the clock spring. This part was NOT fixed. they made a "dust cover" to fit over the clock spring. ALL Jeep clock spring. are the same too. It was decided that ONLY RHD Jeeps see dust and the the LHJ are all just mall crawlers. I guess that is why my mail is so late everyday. the post office guy must be out wheeling all day everyday?

Further looking into this it was also note that not only when this clock spring goes out do you run the risk of NO air bag. BUT it can also go OFF with out a collision. That is far and wide more risky than no airbag. If that airbag goes off from a shorted CS. and you are driving down the road good luck..............

The facts. My Cs went out at 20K and the airbag did go off. I was injured and Chrysler did do a investigation. They claimed it was the lift that made the airbag deploy. they never even looked at the CS. The BLACK BOX and the SRS was investigated and there was NO collision and no event recorded. If your air bags ever go off it is recorded in the black box, unless there is no Incident to record.

The same time my 3.6 had the miss fire codes and they replaced the head.............. good thing the motor did not injure me as they would have not FIXED it.

We are all just a number to them and "don't mean nothing". It took 3 weeks with my jeep under this so called investigation to come up with this lame reason. since Chrysler is getting a pass on this from recalling all JK's made to date. I removed all airbags, seat belts and went with a 5 point harness. FCK'em.........................
Unread 04-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #34
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

WOW Doc thanks for the info. That is crazy it went off without a collision. Just what I was afraid of!

UPDATE: Chrysler has some brass balls. I brought my Jeep in this morning only to have them tell me what I already knew. Clockspring. Told me it would be $563 (part + labor) to fix. I told them I had an extended warranty, "Added Care Plus". He told me this part is not covered under that warranty or the power train warranty. I guess the clockspring does not fall under "All Wiring Harnesses" of my protection plan, and I would have had to of purchased the "Maximum Care" plan in order for it to be covered. BS.

So I called Chrysler Corp. and received a small bit of hope. The rep believes I have a case and is working with the dealership to see if they can offer me a goodwill discount. I am not holding my breath here, but it is something. I am waiting for their call back...I don't have much faith in this.

Personally? I think this is all unfair. I understand life isn't, but Jeep knew about this problem (2007 recalls) and did nothing about it. They continue to do nothing about it. I can understand if this was a wear item or if I had double the mileage but here are the facts:

-2008 JK (manufactured March)
-77,445 Miles
-Currently Covered by Added Care Plus protection plan to 85,000 or 5.1.2015
-I am the original owner
-Stock Jeep as far as suspension and tires

This is a safety feature and I should not be forced to drive an unsafe Jeep because the safety features put in place are not of high quality. Not when I have a relatively new Jeep that still has an active warranty.

I ended my convo with the dealer by letting them know how happy I am to drive a Jeep that at a moments notice could cause serious injury either by airbags deploying or not deploying at all....They really seem to care about their customers.

To be continued....

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #35
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I filed a complaint here. If you havent done so, why not?! Couldn't hurt.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #36
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think that we wont see a recall on this. Should there be? You betcha. Why no recall on LHD(left hand drive)? $$$$$$$$$$ and we are not the government/ mail. just look at what Gm is going through right now for a ignition switch. The cost of this to Fiat would be at least as much if not more considering the cost of this part and those like me that were injured. If this would have happened on at speed say going around a bend. we would have been in more serious predicament. I guess i was lucky.

at the second my dash light went off "airbag warring light" we stopped. checked our belts and turned it off then on. still DING DING. 2 miles latter and just before it exploded i could her the CS making all kinds of sounds. We were at a stop and turning right. my left arm was passing over the steering wheel when BOOM, like a IED. my arms was broke in two places. Emergency said i was lucky it was not my face though that is debatable.

The girl that worked on me was covered with facial scares from a airbag that did go off as intended in a front end collision. What she said was though it was only a fender bender and that the airbag did more damage to her than if she only had seat belts, her thoughts not mine.

How they can not cover this as a electrical issue is beyond me. THis CS should be built in a SEALED container. not with a 1/8 inch gap between the two halves. with a ribbon covered in grease.

To the guy that thinks there is two wires for the horn. sure at the contact point but NOT were the current goes through. You have i think it is 6 wires on the ribbon(the thing that breaks) 4 are dedicated to the airbag. as mandated BY law. all airbags will be of a solid connection to the device. the other two are signal wires to the many things are steering wheels do. Cruise control, horn all radio functions on two wires. The Canbus/cumputer measure an electrical resistance of voltage that it can tell its this or that being pushed. ONE short anywhere in the system with as little as 3 volts can set these off. makes me feel safe and cozy.

i saved the part for club meetings to show people what can go wrong and why it does. makes for great conversation at meetings, as well as for IF this ever gets real attention a class action is brought up. I contacted lawyers and there issue was i was not hurt enough to cover the cost of going up against CORPORATE law dogs. Now they said IF i had killed/harmed someone do to this or myself had died. then it would be a good case......i figure with amount of dust my jeep sees every year on the deserts of AZ. it will be something I get to replace every 20k. another Jeep thing i guess............................................. ................
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #37
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I filed a complaint here. If you havent done so, why not?! Couldn't hurt.
been there done that. but everyone needs too that has had this issue. or it will never get fixed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.