2008 Wrangler clock spring - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 Wrangler clock spring

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well...no luck. Chrysler will be of no assistance in this matter. The escalation guy just called and said that they will not help.

Johnnydenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er50 View Post
Ok, new update. Apparently Chrysler is going to extend warranty on the clock spring in 2007-2008 models to 10 years or 150,000 miles. This is according to the NHTSA, but of course I have not been able to get Chrysler to acknowledge this. I am waiting for a "higher up" from Chrylser to call me back regarding this issue. I will keep you updated....
x2 but i got a letter in the mail from chrysler announcing the recall and the 150k mile warranty so it has been acknowledged to me
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
av8er50
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah my understanding is that they recalled the 2007, not the 08's.... I was not thrilled.
Johnny, Ask them about Chrysler assistance, you can get it fixed for cheaper.
av8er50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

They rejected the assistance???? They said because it was out of warranty.
Johnnydenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
av8er50
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydenim View Post
They rejected the assistance???? They said because it was out of warranty.
Mine was out of warranty too, but they did the assistance. When I talked to Chrysler on the phone they offered it too. Then again it was offered at the dealership without me mentioning the conversation with Chrysler. I would push harder on that.
av8er50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #21
Irishcoffee
2009 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone here that recall letter in PDF format or a TSB with respect to ClockSpring failure?
Thanks!
John
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have my letter...I'll dig it up and scan it for you in the morning.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #23
Irishcoffee
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper5016 View Post
I have my letter...I'll dig it up and scan it for you in the morning.
@Capper5016
many many thanks!
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wont let me attach a pdf.....pm me your email and Ill just send it to you.

If anyone else needs this letter PM your email address.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
zcole2

Any updates on this? I have an 08 sahara with the same issue. Dealership quoted $415 and I'm def not going to pay that. Capper can you send me the pdf document please? thanks
zcole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #26
RKw/JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

clock spring

I have an 08 at the dealer now with the clock spring failure. they want 500 to fix it and from what I can see.. this is a known issue but the dealer won't fix it under the extended warranty. just got off phone with Chrysler assistance. they told me that they would not warrenty this or give me the 100 fix option.
any ideas on who to call now?
RKw/JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #27
adamallen66
2008 JK Wrangler 

Pos spring

Jeep off, keys inside and sleeping peacefully… My jeep woke up my entire neighborhood twice at about 2:00 AM each time just blaring the horn until I was able to put some pants on and run outside only for it to stop when I got out there. After the second time I pulled my fuses to make sure i am not waking up the neighborhood on a regular basis.
I read that if the clockspring gets wet at all that can be the cause of this particular problem but if you let it dry out it can somtimes solve it. Well my jeep has been topless in over 100 degree (dry) weather for a few weeks now and everytime I attempt to put the fuses back the horn immediately reminds me why they are out.
Like i said I read that this is a clock spring issue, so im assuming I'm another on the list of this faulty part. I did report it and am hoping for a recall but not holding my breath. I kinda need a horn to pass a saftey inspection soon and i doubt they will pass me if i tell them i just have to jump out of my jeep, pop the hood and put a couple fuses in a box to honk at someone thats going to hit me…….. and then of course pull the fuses right back out to keep it from honking my whole drive home.
adamallen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #28
adamallen66
2008 JK Wrangler 

Let me know if anyone hears of anything new regarding this…. its pretty pathetic that 2008 has been skipped in this recall fiasco
adamallen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Scott001

Clock Spring Failure

If your jeep horn is not working when you push the horn, but then it will turn on by itself, it's likely that you have an open wire in the clock spring tape. This can happen when you get caught in a rain storm and the top is down. The clock spring housing will fill up with water and short your air bag, horn, and possibly your cruise control signals together. The short will overload the conductor in the clock spring tape until it breaks. I've attached a picture of what the exposed conductors look like as they go from the clock spring tape to the connector on the bottom of the clock spring housing. There are two tapes in the clockspring housing. Each tape has two large conductors that are used for the airbags and three smaller conductors each for the horn and other stuff. My Jeep only uses two of the smaller conductors for the horn, so I just moved the pins on the connector to a good conductor in the tape. I also applied a conformal coating to the exposed conductors and I drilled a hole in the bottom of the clock spring housing so if the jeep does get wet, the water has a path back out of the clock spring housing.

This clock spring design is a safety problem because it exposes the air bag conductors to water if the jeep is ever caught in a rain storm.
clockspring-contact.jpg

horn-wires-clockspring-before.jpg

horn-wires-after.jpg

horn-wires-steering-column-after-wire-move.jpg

Scott001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #30
Mrronn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone still have a letter from jeep about this dang clock spring? Mine jus randomly went out 1000 miles after extended warranty ended. Ild like to have a little more info to take to dealers. Thanks
Mrronn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.