JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2008 Wrangler clock spring (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2008-wrangler-clock-spring-1298453/)

av8er50 12-07-2011 12:51 PM

2008 Wrangler clock spring

Well I have done a bunch of searching and reading about the clock spring failure and appears to be my lucky day to have this wonderful problem. During my searching I found that there is a recall on RHD wranglers for the issue. My question is, has anyone had this problem with the failure and have you hade any lucj with the dealerships. My regular warranty has expired but I have the lifetime powertrain. This obviously isn't powertrain but was seeing if anyone hasa tried pushing for a replacement based on this beig a common problem (apparently). From all I have read I think I can replace it myself if needed rather than ******* out $500 (average according to what I've read) to the dealer.
I just want to hear other peoples experience with this and try to get all my ducks in a row before I go talk to the dealer about this. I like to be prepared for any argument they may throw out there.

RockyClymer 12-07-2011 01:12 PM

If you have no luck, I remember a write up on another forum on how to replace it yourself...a quick search would probably find it.

av8er50 12-07-2011 02:18 PM

I have seen a couple write ups about it, looks fairly easy to do. I am curious if this is a common problem or not.

DBA2GO 12-07-2011 04:33 PM

Yup, I have a 2008 JK (left hand drive) and that clock spring was throwing codes. Mine went out at 72K miles. I drive my Jeep pretty hard & so I expect stuff to go out; but I was surprised that this item died. I paid $400 to dealership to get it fixed.

av8er50 12-07-2011 04:37 PM

I have about 41,000 miles givee or take... I have read a bunch about them and seems to be a very common problem, I am going to see if I can get it covered. If not I may try to do it my self.

av8er50 12-28-2011 04:00 PM

Well I have talked to my dealer about this issue. They were less than helpful and said call Chrysler direct. So I did... They were even less helpful. But they did tell me there is no recall on it... After I told them that there was only a recall on the right hand side drive Jeep's for the same problem. I asked why they wouldn't take care of the same problem with left hand drives. Basically the answer was "we haven't been forced to yet".
So I entered a complaint with NHTSA, they research issues and basically "force" recalls.
I understand stuff breaks, but I am NOT happy that they wont take care of a known issue! Good thing I love my Jeep, or I would tell them where they could park it!

ncb 12-28-2011 05:07 PM

I had a recall on my 2009 for the clock spring, but it was due to the connection being reversed for the air bag. It was replaced in 2009.

2k2wranglerx 12-28-2011 05:13 PM

I replaced one after a buddy spun the steering wheel too far when we were putting the hydro in. It was a pretty easy install. You don't have to pull the wheel or anything.

av8er50 12-29-2011 01:37 PM

Ok, new update. Apparently Chrysler is going to extend warranty on the clock spring in 2007-2008 models to 10 years or 150,000 miles. This is according to the NHTSA, but of course I have not been able to get Chrysler to acknowledge this. I am waiting for a "higher up" from Chrylser to call me back regarding this issue. I will keep you updated....

Johnnydenim 02-01-2012 07:24 PM

I too have an 08 with a clock spring issue. I called Chrysler today and mine is not one that they extended the warranty on. I wouldn't let it go and they agreed to escalate the issue. I am supposed to hear back tomorrow????? Just can't believe they aren't willing to take care of a KNOWN safety issue.

av8er50 02-01-2012 07:37 PM

Sorry I hadn't updated... I lost out in my argument with Chysler. I did however get them to agree to fixing it with "Chrysler assistance". I had to pay $100, better than the $500 original quote to fix it or even the $220 for the part and me fixing it myself!
PLEASE let me know if you come up with anything better. I am guessing they will eventually be forced to recall it. I made a complaint with NHTSA as well to keep the issue alive. Good news is if they do recall it they are supposed to refund money paid out for the repairs. Not holding my breath.

Johnnydenim 02-02-2012 07:52 AM

The "escalation rep" just called me to ask what the symptoms are. About a 1 minute conversation. He said I would hear back from them by Tuesday. I hope I don't get into a wreck that requires an airbag!!!!

I will keep you posted.

Johnnydenim 02-02-2012 07:54 AM

Good to know on the $100 fix. I hope that is my worst case scenerio? $100 is better than the $450 I was quoted.

av8er50 02-02-2012 04:26 PM

I agree 100%, it is crazy that they know there is a safety issue and yet they drag their feet. I would think this would be a no brainer and the would jump all over getting it fixed no questions asked. Just fix it!!! I am getting fired up again just thinking about it. I spent numerous hours of a couple weeks time span on the phone trying to get an answer, and got no where!! Hope you have better luck than I did!

LVCapo 02-04-2012 05:54 PM

I bought a 2007 from the Chapman Stealership here in Vegas (The worst dealership I've ever seen). The clockspring went out less than 30 days later and they wanted $772 to replace the clock spring...and tried to tell me it wasnt covered under the full warranty I had just purchased.
In the end it was re[laced for free, basically because I threatened to stand in front of their dealership with a lemon sign on my Jeep all day/every day until they fixed it.
*Jeep had/has numerous other issues that were hidden/covered up when I bought it.

The time now is 08:15 AM.