2008 Rubicon - Gas overflow when refueling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 Rubicon - Gas overflow when refueling

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
mstarrick
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 Rubicon - Gas overflow when refueling

Every time we fill the gas tank, the gas overflows. This happens even when holding the gas nozzle and not just setting the nozzle on auto and walking away. Is this happening to anyone else?

mstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not to me but yes this is a known problem for some.
There are other threads on the subject that a search of this forum will bring up.
Some people have had the fuel tank replaced under warranty and found that as a solution for the problem.
I haven't heard a definite reason for the problem. It could be that the neck narrows down or has something blocking it. I think it's a problem with the ventilation, not enough air getting out.
Good luck

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

O.K. here are the two main threads for you;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...ueling-601422/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...l-tank-919477/

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
mstarrick
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your help!
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
\\WK//
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had this problem with my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It ended up being the fuel sending unit. Not sure if this will apply to your Rubicon, but it's something to look at.
\\WK// is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
gills
2007 JK Wrangler 

I always use my credit card to pay at the pump. We don't have the tabs in Ontario to keep the pump on by itself so you've got to hold it on. When it auto-stops, I don't try to put any more in, I pull the nozzle out and I've never had this problem.

Last week, I pulled the trigger once after the pump shut off the first time, and lo and behold, I had gas coming back out at me.

So, it seems to me that if you don't try to squeeze more gas in than you should, you'll be okay. Your mileage may vary...
2007 Sahara - Rescue Green, 2-Door, 6-spd, 4.10 gears & dual tops. AEV 2.5" lift, hood, drop brackets, snorkel & rear slider. Cobra 75 WX XT CB, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Rugged Ridge light bar, hydraulic hood struts, T&T Customs Adventure Series sliders & IPF 968 lights.
Waiting to be installed: River Raider breather extension, and not much else for this year...
gills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
GXP20T
2010 JK Wrangler 

On the other forum, someone mentioned that the cause of the problem is created by a bad safety valve in the tank that's used during a roll-over. The only way to fix it is to get a whole new tank since it's integrated in the tank itself.
GXP20T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
BLK2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstarrick View Post
Every time we fill the gas tank, the gas overflows. This happens even when holding the gas nozzle and not just setting the nozzle on auto and walking away. Is this happening to anyone else?
Every time for the last 36,000 miles on my '08
BLK2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
DeputyDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just dropped off my 08 at the dealership today for the same problem. I asked the service department if there has been a recall, or impending recall on this issue. He said that this was the first time he had ever heard of the gas overflow problem. I told him that I found that hard to believe because Fox 2 news reported this very story a couple of months back. No news as of yet so I'll wait and see what they say and keep you posted.
DeputyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
mikeinminn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I read on Inside Line Automotive News that the NTSB is looking into it right now.
mikeinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
mstarrick
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
I just dropped off my 08 at the dealership today for the same problem. I asked the service department if there has been a recall, or impending recall on this issue. He said that this was the first time he had ever heard of the gas overflow problem. I told him that I found that hard to believe because Fox 2 news reported this very story a couple of months back. No news as of yet so I'll wait and see what they say and keep you posted.
I'm taking my jeep in to the dealer on Monday. The service manager told me he had never heard of such a thing too. Might be interesting. I did file a complaint with the NTSB last night. Also, for those that say it is happening because of attempts at topping off the tank, this is happening without trying to top off.
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
08slvrsrfr
2008 JK Wrangler 

What has really been confusing to me is this didn't start until around 40K miles. It never did it before and now, everytime with or without using the auto tabs on the pump. I usually just grab the windshield washing tool and wipe it off, unless it looks as if the water hasn't been changed in days then I just look for a puddle. I am definitely calling the dealer today to see if others have reported it.
08slvrsrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
mstarrick
2008 JK Wrangler 

So I took my Jeep to the dealer fully expecting for them to tell me I was full of it, and to my surprise, they said the safety valve in the tank was bad. They replaced the fuel tank and so far so good. I also filed a complaint with the NTSB. Sounds like something a recall should be issued for. We'll see.
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #14
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

This problem actually started about 6 years ago with the 2003 and up TJs...
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
newjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

are 2009 thru 2010 models still having this problem or has chrysler fixed it yet?
newjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel overflow , gas overflow , jk w rangler , problem , wrangker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.