2008 JK Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 JK Starting Problems

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
stereoman03

2008 JK Starting Problems

Have a jeep jk that wont start, the dealership has changed the starter twice, replaced the ignition switch, tipm, and just replaced the pcm, same outcome the jeep starts only half the time, the other half the starter kicks out for some reason. I have a 4" lift kit, 37" tires, ripp supercharger, anyone else having the same problem?

stereoman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you have a auto tranny some people have been reporting that the shifter doesnt quite make it to Park and that will cause it not to start...Does it make any noises? is the starter even turning it over? I take it you have checked the battery already correct?
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
stereoman03

yes ive checked all conections, the starter starts to engage then shuts down, sometimes you can shift to drive then back to park and it will start, dealership says it cant be neutral safty switch because it tryes to engage the cuts off, i read other post of same problems , never say if they ever got it figured out, all post were from last year,
stereoman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Terrelljeep

anyone found a answer, I have 07 with same problem. Install new starter last week, but did not fix the problem. Please reply if anyone know how to fix. Very aggrevating to have to cross your fingers each time you try to start your jeep.
Terrelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

When it fails to start in Park try starting it in Neutral.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
When it fails to start in Park try starting it in Neutral.
And if this works I would take it to the dealer and have them replace the safety switch or whatever it is thats fouling out... I have heard so many guys have this problem. You should not have to do this to a 3 or so year old vehicle.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryJK4455 View Post
And if this works I would take it to the dealer and have them replace the safety switch or whatever it is thats fouling out... I have heard so many guys have this problem. You should not have to do this to a 3 or so year old vehicle.
Agreed. Iíve read about a number of people with this problem - itís happened to me once so far. If you have an automatic, your battery is good, it clicks when you try to start in Park, you shift to Neutral and it starts, then it helps to narrow down the possibilities. It seems the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS), a grounding problem, the Transmission Control Module (TCM), Remote Control Module (WCM), or Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). :S I was hoping that Chrysler would figure out the ďsolutionĒ and issue a TSB because I donít want them to just replace random parts until it appears to be fixed.

From what Iíve read, if you have this problem, then putting it in Neutral will get it to start almost all of the time. Sometimes you may have to shift back to Park and try again, and one person said he had to do this back and forth thing for half an hour before he got it to start.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
Unread 06-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Bakers4Pack
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've had this problem from the start. Within two weeks of buying it new, the problem surfaced. We have had it for over a year now and the problem has not been solved. We have had battery cables replaced, starter replaced, sensors replaced and nothing has fixed it. I had a remote starter added and that will start it, even if the key will not. This has been a god send. Since the jeep is a DD, it puts a great hardship on me and my family when I have to take it in and leave it. I have had to go to the dealership way to much for a new vehicle.
Unread 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakers4Pack View Post
I've had this problem from the start. Within two weeks of buying it new, the problem surfaced. We have had it for over a year now and the problem has not been solved. We have had battery cables replaced, starter replaced, sensors replaced and nothing has fixed it. I had a remote starter added and that will start it, even if the key will not. This has been a god send. Since the jeep is a DD, it puts a great hardship on me and my family when I have to take it in and leave it. I have had to go to the dealership way to much for a new vehicle.
You have an automatic and it just clicks when you try to start in Park? If it doesnít click, and you have keyless entry, there is a TSB out for that problem, see here.

If it does click, but doesnít start, try putting it in Neutral and see if that gets it to start. If it does, then itís a different problem. Iím still guessing itís the TRS because it looks like it acts like a Neutral Safety Switch. The FSM says that ďThe Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) communicates shift lever position (SLP) to the TCM as a combination of open and closed switches. Each shift lever position has an assigned combination of switch states (open/closed) that the TCM receives from four sense circuits. The TCM interprets this information and determines the appropriate transmission gear position and shift schedule.Ē So if the TRS is sending false information to the TCM when itís in Park then it wonít start.
Unread 06-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Bakers4Pack
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, but sadly this sensor issue was taken care of either the 3rd or 4th time it was in for the no-start problem... This actually worked the longest of any of the fixes. Probably 8-10 weeks for that particular fix. I actually started having less anxiety over whether or not it was going to start...LOL

The stealership is grasping at straws now. 2 weeks ago when I had it in, they replaced the TIPM/Power Distribution Center. I have now once again had the no start issue, 8 times in the last 2 weeks or so... No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes its a cold start, sometimes not. There is no click, throttle light comes on and there is no attempt at actual starting. But, it will start with the remote starter. Go figure... The electronics guy at the stealership told me Friday that my jeep and a couple of others he deals with constantly are giving him nightmares. I told him I can relate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
You have an automatic and it just clicks when you try to start in Park? If it doesnít click, and you have keyless entry, there is a TSB out for that problem, see here.

If it does click, but doesnít start, try putting it in Neutral and see if that gets it to start. If it does, then itís a different problem. Iím still guessing itís the TRS because it looks like it acts like a Neutral Safety Switch. The FSM says that ďThe Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) communicates shift lever position (SLP) to the TCM as a combination of open and closed switches. Each shift lever position has an assigned combination of switch states (open/closed) that the TCM receives from four sense circuits. The TCM interprets this information and determines the appropriate transmission gear position and shift schedule.Ē So if the TRS is sending false information to the TCM when itís in Park then it wonít start.
Unread 06-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, but sadly this sensor issue was taken care of either the 3rd or 4th time it was in for the no-start problem... This actually worked the longest of any of the fixes. Probably 8-10 weeks for that particular fix. I actually started having less anxiety over whether or not it was going to start...LOL

The stealership is grasping at straws now. 2 weeks ago when I had it in, they replaced the TIPM/Power Distribution Center. I have now once again had the no start issue, 8 times in the last 2 weeks or so... No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes its a cold start, sometimes not. There is no click, throttle light comes on and there is no attempt at actual starting. But, it will start with the remote starter. Go figure... The electronics guy at the stealership told me Friday that my jeep and a couple of others he deals with constantly are giving him nightmares. I told him I can relate.
Looks like you have some other kind of problem. Well, if they ever figure it out hopefully you can post what was wrong. Good luck!
Unread 06-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

For the automatic:

If it won't start in Park, but does start in Neutral, it could be as simple as adjusting the transmission selector lever cable.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
For the automatic:

If it won't start in Park, but does start in Neutral, it could be as simple as adjusting the transmission selector lever cable.
Could be, but if it was off then wouldn't it be off for every selection? OTOH - It could be that it just doesn't sit in Park properly. OTOOH - I would also think that if the cable was off it would "always" not work in Park, unless it's just barely off.

The FSM says: "Check adjustment by starting the engine in PARK and NEUTRAL. Adjustment is CORRECT if the engine starts only in these positions. Adjustment is INCORRECT if the engine starts in one but not both positions. If the engine starts in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL, or if the engine will not start at all, the TRS may be faulty."
Unread 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
Bakers4Pack
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have apparently jinxed myself today by posting to this thread. It has not started all day without the remote start. Forgot to mention the MIL also stays on with the Throttle indicator.
Unread 06-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have apparently jinxed myself today by posting to this thread. It has not started all day without the remote start. Forgot to mention the MIL also stays on with the Throttle indicator.
Maybe they didn't do the TSB properly or the module they replaced was defective? You could try pulling the IOD fuse the next time it doesnít start. From the TSB: take the key out of the ignition, pull the IOD fuse, wait 30 seconds, put the fuse back in, try to start with the key again (See the TSB). Doesnít look like it should hurt, but I suppose it could make it so the remote stops working too.

Tags
JK Wrangler , starting issue , starting problem , starting trouble , wont start , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.