2008 JK starter problems at 42,000 miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 JK starter problems at 42,000 miles

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 JK starter problems at 42,000 miles

Hey guys,

I have been having some issues with my jeep over the past 2 months. There has been an intermittent starter issue that has been bothering and I am worried I will be stranded sooner rather than later.

Sometimes when I go to start it the Jeep will crank once or twice and then start. Other times it will crank up to 4 or 5 times not start (when I say crank, its almost is the Jeep is hiccuping and struggling), then once I turn the key to the off position and try again it will start up just fine.

This morning it took 3 cranks to get going so I was starting to think that my battery is on its way out (original bat). I pulled into my regular D&Ds and when I went to start my jeep again I heard an awful metal on metal sound. Kinda like how it sounds when you go to start your car when it is already running. Once again I turned the key to the off position and tried to start it again, which it did without issue.

I just ran to lunch and it started with no issue.

FYI, once started the Jeep is running great with no issues to report.

Is there anything I can do to start eliminating possibilities?

Thanks guys!

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had a similar problem with my '02 Bonneville - turned out to be the fuel pump once I couldn't start it anymore.
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, fortunately you can't start a JK when it is running as the computer knows better...but, the metal on metal sound could be the Bendix gear going bad. Fuel pump would probably throw a code that could be read...have you checked to see if there are any stored codes?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Well, fortunately you can't start a JK when it is running as the computer knows better...but, the metal on metal sound could be the Bendix gear going bad. Fuel pump would probably throw a code that could be read...have you checked to see if there are any stored codes?
Rocky,

Thanks for the reply. Yes and I love that feature of the JK because I did it with my TJ all the time!

I have checked for codes each time and nothing!

So I had to google the Bendix gear (sorry learning here) and I understand that it pushes into the flywheel ring gear to crank the engine, and by replacing the starter you replace the bendix gear, correct?

I would like to fix this myself to keep on learning, and seeing as my warranty has now expired. I do consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined, but I have no experience with starters. Could this be a simple driveway swap??

Thanks so much!

Unread 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

With some mechanical experience, some basic tools and a copy of the service manual (usually found on a CD) dropping a starter and checking it out is an easy job. Prior to that I would check your battery, connections, etc..so you do not go through an unnecessary job. But, basically it amounts to disconnecting the battery, then getting under the JK and removing the two bolts that hold it onto the bell housing and then removing the battery lead to the solenoid. The Bendix gear, starter and solenoid all come out as a unit.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I would check the battery for cranking amps first like already mentioned. That (new battery) has fixed a lot of starting issues with the JKs. Its fast and costs nothing.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

At 45,000 mine was staring funny too! The dealer put a new starter in and now it starts fine!
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

So I wanted to update this as the problem has returned.

This issue continued from my original post up until last August. In August of 2012 my Jeep was unfortunately struck by lighting, due to this I had to replace the TIPM, PCM, Wireless control module, ABS module and both of my keys.

After the repairs were performed I had a year of trouble free Jeepin and my starting issues literally vanished. Until last night..

The scratching noise has returned. I pulled into a gas station, ran inside for 2 minutes tops, and upon return I started my Jeep to an awful grinding sound. Exactly like how an older vehicle sounds when you turn the key with the engine already running. I turn the key back and try starting again, which it does just fine. It did the same exact thing this morning when I started it to go to work.

To me, this can't be a starter because the issue wouldn't just disappear after having the "brains" of my Jeep replaced. Maybe I am wrong..

Upon further research folks have brought up "dry start" related to a bad mopar oil filter. This could possibly make sense because a month ago I had my oil changed at a dealership while they were doing some extended warranty work and indeed have a mopar filter currently installed. Prior to that, I had napa filters installed. Have any of you heard of this? Do I have my facts straight?

If you look at my location you will see I live on Martha's Vineyard so taking it to a dealer is a $120 ferry ride + frustation getting a reservation in the midst of summer people. So my situation is not as easy as "take it to the dealer".

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Edit: I now have 71,000 miles on my Jeep. This issue started around 40,000 miles. Is it possible to drive 30,000 miles on a starter that was going bad? That's why I am thinking something else is the culprit.

Unread 07-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Any of you guys heard of faulty mopar oil filters?

Unread 07-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had an '86 Grand Am that did something similar - turned out one of the fly wheel teeth had sheered, therefore on certain starts it would 'screech' - no idea if these Jeeps have a flywheel or not.
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.