2008 JK right side outer tie rod issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 JK right side outer tie rod issue

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Pity7700
2007 WK 

2008 JK right side outer tie rod issue

whats up everyone?

bought an 08 unlimited sahara at auction for my brother 2 weeks ago, finishing up fixing the front end.

having an issue with the right side outer tie rod not coming out of the center link. Ive heated it over and over, soaked it with blaster...got it to move maybe 1/8", is this a common issue? I have read a couple posts around the net about others having the same issue saying its "nearly impossible" to remove the factory TRE from the center link. even called a local shop that specializes in jeeps, they laughed when I asked for the part saying that its the hardest one to replace.

if this is an issue, what is your take on raybestos parts? found a replacement link with the TRE already installed for the right side, all I need to do is install the left side with the adjustment sleeve. part is on sale at amazon for $70, regular $110. already ordered it, trying to get this front end finished and over to get an alignment, tires on Thursday.

also, had an issue with Moog problem solver upper ball joints, K3134T is the product number I believe. after installing the knuckle and torqueing the castle nut to spec, there was about a 1/2" gap between the body of the ball joint and the knuckle. took parts back and got some Mevotech joints, no issue. compared the Moog joints, Mevotech and factory joints, the Moog ball joint body was much shorter than the Mevotech and factory joints. triple checked part fit at auto store.

sorry for the long post fellas.

thanks for any info.

Unread 11-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yea that end is swedged in there - see the stamps?

I chose to replace entire tie rod with the synergy crome moly unit - it uses the same ends as the drag link to pitman... so one spare covers three joints!
Unread 11-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Pity7700
2007 WK 

Thanks for the reply man.

I see what you're talking about, wish I would have known before haha. Thanks for the info.
Unread 11-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Pity7700
2007 WK 

Thanks for the reply, man.

I see what you're talking about, wish I would have known before haha. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.