2008 JK DEATH WOBBLE 9,500 miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 JK DEATH WOBBLE 9,500 miles

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Drummie
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 JK DEATH WOBBLE 9,500 miles

Driving down highway at 65 when we went over a bridge expansion joint wobble started, then went over next joint and had no control over stearing. Pulled off at next exit called Chrysler. Dealer ship was down the street had problem fixed in 2 hours even though they did not sell jeeps. Mechanic and service manager where great. Both said that the little stock stabilizer was nowhere near what it should have came with. Both front tires scalloped so it has been leaking for a while. jeep is right hand drive too deliver mail i.e. low speed driving. You wouldn't notice anything until you get up to about 55mph. Called jeep and they gave me a government number to call and report problem,that was a little strange to me. Good for you jeep. Working on getting new tires. Anybody else having same problem? CHECK THAT STABILIZER.

Drummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
ReBiker
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up! A lot of people have complained about that on this forum. Hopefully this will help a lot of them.
Window vents, Husky liners, Big Boy horn, Air Vents painted, Mirrors drilled - then relocated, Inside mirror flipped, Hood lift fix, Hitch & wiring installed, Trail cover, Air Cleaner mod, Side Markers / turn signals mod
ReBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
wbower
2008 JK Wrangler 

did i read right that you have a right side drive jk?

Lucky bastar.....
wbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Why is he lucky? I'd drive on the wrong side of the road if I was in a right side JK :P
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

id make sure you check your trac bar bolts. This is what the cause of death wobble is from. Many vehicles DO NOT even come with steering stabilizers. All the dealer did was cover the problem not FIX the problem
Unread 08-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

my trac bar is perfectly tight and my stabilzer has started to seep. My JK started to wobble at high speeds over bumps about 2 weeks ago. I am getting a new stabilzer. I don't trust a tiny stabilizer made for 32's with a 4 inch lift and 35's... starting to leak at 8000 miles... bad ju ju.

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This has been covered a million times and I'm sure this topic will continue to surface until Jeeps stop coming with solid front axles.

Truth is that your steering stabilizer is not the cause of, nor the fix for death wobble. Your suspension should (and will) operate normally without any steering stabilizer at all.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Causes of death wobble:

1) Loose steering components - usually front track bar (be sure to check passenger side)
2) Out of balance wheels/tires
3) Bad alignment
4) A combination of more than one of the above
Unread 08-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
91Jeep07

It's not the stabilizer, mine has been to the dealer multiple times, has had the stabilizer replaced, reps & DC Tech's have looked at it, bolts torqued, bushings checked, alignment checked, etc, etc, problem still exists.
What's the possibility of it being the Goodyear Wrangler tires??
91Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Jeep07 View Post
It's not the stabilizer, mine has been to the dealer multiple times, has had the stabilizer replaced, reps & DC Tech's have looked at it, bolts torqued, bushings checked, alignment checked, etc, etc, problem still exists.
What's the possibility of it being the Goodyear Wrangler tires??
Try swapping in a set of your buddies tires and see if that solves the issue.
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
91Jeep07

Search the NHTSA complaint database to see the number of complaints on this issue also:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #12
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
Try swapping in a set of your buddies tires and see if that solves the issue.
that's what i was thinking. if you have no other places to check, maybe your tires are bad.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
no1martian
2009 JK Wrangler 

Shimmy

If you are experiencing shimmy you need to replace you steering damper. It is either damaged or has malfunctioned (i.e losing fluid). In addition you should check the balance on your tires and rebalacne if necessary. You do not need tires you need a new steering damper.
no1martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #14
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1martian View Post
If you are experiencing shimmy you need to replace you steering damper. It is either damaged or has malfunctioned (i.e losing fluid). In addition you should check the balance on your tires and rebalacne if necessary. You do not need tires you need a new steering damper.
this is the second time i've seen you blatantly post bad information.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
91Jeep07

Once again, steering stabilizer replaced, wheels balanced, bolts torqued, bushings checked, ect., etc., etc., problem still exists. The tough part is finding 4 new tires to replace & try. My previous Jeep had BFG AT's & no problem with those.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.