2008 JK Airbag Light is going to induce road rage! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 JK Airbag Light is going to induce road rage!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 JK Airbag Light is going to induce road rage!

Hey guys!

I have a 2008 2 door sport, 77,300 miles. Monday on my morning commute, about a minute in, my airbag light went on. I was on a straight road at the time.

It is now Wed, and I almost don't want to drive my Jeep. My airbag light illuminates and chimes the whole drive, every drive. This morning, on my 15 minute ride to the ferry dock, I counted the light going on then off 27 times, each time chiming and driving me up a wall.

This occurs when I am on a straight road or just after I make a turn. There is a 3 mile stretch of straight road and the light turned on and off 10 times. I researched this and found that it is either the clockspring or a bad connection under the passenger seat or elsewhere.

When the light is illuminated the horn still works and this occurs on straight roads so I don't think it is necessarily the clockspring, but definitely not ruling it out.

Has this happened to any of you? Is there anywhere specific I can look for a loose connection? I can take it to the dealer, but I live on an island and would like to avoid it. Thanks guys!

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

clock spring in most cases. when the the Ab light goes on do you loose any other function; Ie crusie, horn, radio? Though it is very possible to have the latter functions and still have a bad CS.

Not a cheep fix even if you do it. Cs is 250$ +-.
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Stag
2008 JK Wrangler 

Are you refering to your airbag light or ABS light?
Stag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Alaska-HWY JK

The warranty was extended on some model years. I know the 2007 LH drive are, 120 monthes 150,000 miles. Mines in the shop getting it changed this week. It started going last week the airbag light and chime went on and off steady for a day and now comes on till a steering correction, clears, then back on. Definatly not a cheap fix if you have to pay for it.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

It is the Airbag light. The red light with the airbag and the dude sitting down. Right next to the seat belt light.

When the light is illuminated I have full function of horn, radio, cruise and wipers. I tested all of these...

I spoke to the closest dealer (who has been nothing but honest) and they highly doubt it would be the clockspring but perhaps and loose wire or connection or a bad sensor and would need to see the Jeep to be sure.

If it is the clockspring. I have the added care plus extended warranty and I think it falls under the electrical category??

Here is what is covered in regards to electrical components:
ELECTRICAL
All Wiring Harnesses
Body Computer
Body Control Module
Coil Pack Assembly
Distributor
Electronic Fuel Injection System (Excluding Clogged Injectors)
Engine Control Module
Factory Installed Radios and Speakers (Includes CD and Tape players)
Generator / Alternator
Horn and Horn Pad
Ignition Coil
Manually Operated Electrical Switches
Oil Pressure Sending Unit / Switch
Park Neutral Position Switch
Powertrain Control Module
Rear Window Wiper Motor
Single Module Engine Controller (SMEC)
Starter Motor and Solenoid
Temperature Sending Unit / Switch
Transmission Control Module
Voltage Regulator
Windshield Wiper Motor
Wiper Control Module

I just pay $100 and they cover the rest. I just don't want to take my Jeep off island if I don't have to.

Unread 04-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

this issue has NEVER been fixed. For all the BS and look at what is going down with GM. Jeep clock spring is a cheep part, never did they fix it just replace it with the same part. Jeep one day will go through Congress on this Safety issue , once enough people die.

Reports of them setting off the drivers AB do to rain and just going off when the CS breaks. This issue was only addressed for RHD(postal jeeps, maily). During the bail out.

every clock spring failure is very easy to check, once it is out, pop it open IF the wire is folded like a expert origami session it is the same BS that has been around now for YEARS.

trust me they will do everything they can for it to NOT be that. could it be a loose wire? sure. though the wires that plug into the airbag are not easy to remove. so it is more than likely a CS.
Unread 04-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Alaska-HWY JK

X-41 Recall for clockspring.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just did it. It's the Clockspring. It's safe to drive and operate. I did so for two years. It's 200 bucks to buy it and a pain in the *** to change out but doable at home. I'm going to do a write up in my build thread tomorrow or Friday.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Just did it. It's the Clockspring. It's safe to drive and operate. I did so for two years. It's 200 bucks to buy it and a pain in the *** to change out but doable at home. I'm going to do a write up in my build thread tomorrow or Friday.
no its not safe you got lucky. I know this from FIRST hand, been there and was in the Hospital from it.

when the wire starts to go is when the real issue is dangerous. once the wire separate and if it coils away from any contact to the other wires you might be ok, feel lucky, do ya...
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
no its not safe you got lucky. I know this from FIRST hand, been there and was in the Hospital from it. when the wire starts to go is when the real issue is dangerous. once the wire separate and if it coils away from any contact to the other wires you might be ok, feel lucky, do ya...
If you don't mind me asking..what happened?

Unread 04-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
no its not safe you got lucky. I know this from FIRST hand, been there and was in the Hospital from it.

when the wire starts to go is when the real issue is dangerous. once the wire separate and if it coils away from any contact to the other wires you might be ok, feel lucky, do ya...
Never had an issue so call me lucky Harry.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

You drove around with the chime for all that time?!?!?!?!

I refuse to drive me Jeep at the moment. Call me whatever you want but 30 chimes during a 15 minute ride is more than I can handle!

Unread 04-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
You drove around with the chime for all that time?!?!?!?!

I refuse to drive me Jeep at the moment. Call me whatever you want but 30 chimes during a 15 minute ride is more than I can handle!
Some of us LOVE living not knowing if the next pothole will bring an airbag malfunction exploding into our face while the chime and light tells us its possible.

Cheaper than a week in Vegas - same thrill.
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Some of us LOVE living not knowing if the next pothole will bring an airbag malfunction exploding into our face while the chime and light tells us its possible.

Cheaper than a week in Vegas - same thrill.
LOL! True enough.

Because I don't want to live that way I am bringing it to the dealer on Tues. I will just get to drive my wheeler Cherokee for the weekend! No biggie..I will update this thread when I get the Jeep back next week.

Unread 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
inspmark
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mine did the same thing, it was also an 08. Turn a corner, light goes out, go back straight, 'ding' and light is on. I ordered one from a Mopar parts direct place. It took about 45 minutes to change. It's not hard, just be patient. There are lots of good write ups on the forums, and videos on YouTube.
inspmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.