2008 factory soft top on 2013 Jeep opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2008 factory soft top on 2013 Jeep opinions

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
moviehunter

2008 factory soft top on 2013 Jeep opinions

Hi,

A little background... I just ordered a 2 door 2013 wrangler sport from the dealership. Unfortunately the dual top group is not an option in this model (and they wanted an extra $1800 to add the soft top). So I opted to pay the 900$ to get the hard top figuring I could find a gently used/aftermarket soft top cheaper and easier than locating a hard top.

* Now first off, after reading numerous threads on several sites and many contradicting posts, I'm just looking for a little confirmation. A 2008 factory top will fit on a 2013 as long as I get all of the original 2008 hardware (door surrounds, rear tailgate clips, and sport bar attachment brackets, anything else?) correct?

* Secondly, I've read that there are quite a bit of issues with these tops leaking (is this a design flaw for that year or more user error?, did it affect all 2008's?). This top was apparently used for one summer then taken off and the jeep was stolen while the hard top was on it. I can get the top for $350 with all hardware or order a 2013 super top NX for about $850. How does the quality compare? I read that they're the same top but also read that the super top is much more cheaply made. Was the leaking issue really that bad in 08, should I be worried? Are there still leaking issues with the newer tops? Just looking for some opinions on which way I should go.

Thanks, Sean

moviehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Leaking was a door seal issue. For 350$ you can't go wrong. Scoop it up quick. If it doesn't work for you sell it and buy a newer version.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am fairly certain (but have not seen 1st hand) the 2008 top will only fit up to a 2010 - in 2011 they changed some minimal items that may keep the soft top from fitting on your 2013. But keep looking for a 2012 or 13 top. you should find one for the right price.
SkipperTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperTW
I am fairly certain (but have not seen 1st hand) the 2008 top will only fit up to a 2010 - in 2011 they changed some minimal items that may keep the soft top from fitting on your 2013. But keep looking for a 2012 or 13 top. you should find one for the right price.
2010 was the change in roof design. As long as you have the appropriate door surrounds 2007 to 2013 will fit.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Morris4x4Center
Vendor

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can't go wrong with a brand new Bestop Supertop NX with brand new hardware and all!

Morris4x4Center.com

Toll Free: 877.553.5337 | Free Shipping on Orders Over $99!|
PM me for any questions or Price-Matching!
Morris4x4Center is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
surfdogs
2008 JK Wrangler 

The 2008-2010 tops require you to to manually pull the top out from the door seals. In 2011 they redesigned it. I put the top down often on my 2008, so when I found a 2011 top for 350 with all the seals, I jumped on it. It saves me an extra walk around the jeep to unfasten the rails. My canvas had a small rip in it, and I couldn't see to pay jeep the 700 for new canvas.

That said, if you are sold on a 2008 top, make sure you have year-correct door surrounds. If you run short on hardware, there's a full 2008 top in my attic.

Also, the 2008 and 2009 tops have a smaller rear window.
surfdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
moviehunter

Thanks for all of the replies. I did pick the top up for now, got it for $300 and figured I couldn't go wrong. I wanted to make sure I had a top for when my jeep comes in. Ideally I'd like to find an unused still in the box 2012-2013 top for under $500. Unfortunately right now there are none, only ones I've found have been for a 4 door. That being said this one supposedly came with all of the hardware (won't be sure until I try installing it) and for 300$ I figure it can be a temporary fix. How much of a pita is it to put these tops down (compared to the 2004 tj I was driving)? And if I run short on hardware I may just have to take you up on that offer surfdog.
moviehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdogs View Post
My canvas had a small rip in it, and I couldn't see to pay jeep the 700 for new canvas.
Could a marine canvas repair place fix it? You should have a few around you.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.