JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2007 Wrangler Unlimited X - engine issues? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2007-wrangler-unlimited-x-engine-issues-1553860/)

mswhitman1 07-26-2013 09:32 AM

2007 Wrangler Unlimited X - engine issues?

I'm a new Jeep Wrangler owner. I had bought a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X from a wholesaler in Novemer 2011. Not long after buying the Jeep I started having to put money into it - replaced the steering assembly and axle seals, frozen rear calipers, O2 sensors. AC compressor had gone bad, water pump was leaking badly, engine was burning through 5 quarts of oil every couple thousand miles. Mileage was very low - maybe 50k.

Instead of continuing to put money into it, I traded it in with a dealer and bought a similar 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X, just more perks (power everything, etc). Similar mileage (currently 50k). Also bought a warranty to go with it. I've had it for three months and I'm now experiencing similar issues to the last 2007 X I had. Having significant vibrations while driving around 55 - 65 mph. Gas cap indicator and check engine indicator lights are on. Check oil light pops on and off all the time. All the tell-tale signs I had with the last one I'm having with this one.

Has anyone else experienced significant engine issues with their 2007 X? Wondering if there's an issue with the production line or can it possibly be a coincidence that I've owned two 2007's with the same exact issues around the same exact mileage.

Any experiences you could share would be great. Thanks!

RockyClymer 07-26-2013 11:05 AM

I am going to say it is a coincidence based on what has been posted on this and other forums for the past 5 or 6 years...there were some engines in 07 and 08 that were assembled in Mexico that had a ring problem, but only a few of those from the ratio of posts. The problems you list are discussed, but not all on one vehicle! Sounds like you got a couple of real lemons and not typical IMO.

:wave:Welcome to the forum.

mswhitman1 07-26-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks Rocky...taking #2 into the dealer this weekend to have it checked out. I like the '07 engine and frame, there's room to work around it, but I'm not handy enough to take it apart on my own (although I'm learning slowly but surely).

mswhitman1 07-27-2013 09:33 AM

Steering damper went bad, which is causing the vibration while driving at higher speeds. I noticed there is a technical service bulletin for the same thing on the '07's. Is this something the dealer should cover or am I out of pocket on that? The leaking oil was the PCV valve. Again...not covered under warranty because it's considered a maintenance part even though the inspection of the part isn't until 60k miles and my jeep only has 50k. Next time, I'll replace it myself.

The time now is 06:32 AM.