2007 unlimited w/ manual transmission (100,000 miles) keeps popping out of 1st gear? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2007 unlimited w/ manual transmission (100,000 miles) keeps popping out of 1st gear?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Willey
2007 JK Wrangler 

2007 unlimited w/ manual transmission (100,000 miles) keeps popping out of 1st gear?

Hello! I just bought a 2WD unlimited with 100,000 miles... everything on it is in excellent condition but for some reason when I start to take off, it pops out of 1st gear?? Every other gear works perfectly otherwise. Also, when it's in neutral, I hear some transmission whirring type noise but if I lightly tough the clutch, it goes away then fades back in a little? The clutch is also really tight feeling pushing it downward compared to my friends jeep (same year and model). Suggestions? Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Willey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willey View Post
Hello! I just bought a 2WD unlimited with 100,000 miles... everything on it is in excellent condition but for some reason when I start to take off, it pops out of 1st gear?? Every other gear works perfectly otherwise. Also, when it's in neutral, I hear some transmission whirring type noise but if I lightly tough the clutch, it goes away then fades back in a little? The clutch is also really tight feeling pushing it downward compared to my friends jeep (same year and model). Suggestions? Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Had kind of the same problems on an old K5 Blazer. It was the hydraulic clutch.
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Throw out bearing is worn and the first gear sychro has never been too good on these even when new.
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
duchessvik
2007 JK Wrangler 

terrahawk's right on. Its likely one of two things, the shift boot causing pressure on the stick, or the syncro between gears 1 and 2.

There's a TSB for it:
TSB Title: 21-001-10A 04/20/2010 M/T - Pops Out Of 1st Gear On Acceleration

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The transmission pops out of first gear while accelerating The condition may occur intermittently and may be difficult to diagnose.

DIAGNOSIS:
Verify that the shift boot is not causing the issue by ensuring the boot is not binding when in first gear In addition if the customer complains that the transmission pops out of gear in first, third, and fifth, than the shift boot would be most likely the cause for the complaint Refer to the appropriate service information regarding shift boot replacement If the shift boot is not causing the transmission to pop out of first gear, perform the following Repair Procedure...
duchessvik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Willey
2007 JK Wrangler 

This is great help everyone! I have an appointment with the dealership on Friday to have the above TSB assessed / diagnose the issue. It occurs 30% of the time which can't be good at all ...
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

At 100K miles I can guarantee that the throw out bearing is toast.
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just had my 08 (34K miles) tranny rebuilt for the same problem. They replaced the shift tower, fork, TO bearing, 1,2 & R synchros. Luckily I have a LT PT service contract.

Good luck and let us know.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Willey
2007 JK Wrangler 

If I replace the transmission, would that solve all my problems??
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willey View Post
If I replace the transmission, would that solve all my problems??
As long as the replacement tranny doesn't have the same problems. It wouldn't cure the TO bearing, but while the tranny is out, it's simple to install a new TO bearing.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1st gear , manual , pops out of gear , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.