2007 JK Engine noise - I'm baffled - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2007 JK Engine noise - I'm baffled

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
admyral
2007 JK Wrangler 

2007 JK Engine noise - I'm baffled

Over the last month, my 36000 mile Jeep has developed this tick. It's corresponds to Valve Train RPM, so I naturally thought lifter or broken spring. Pulled the engine apart including taking off both heads (Boo! to the engineer that designed this engine, you have to take off the cyl heads to remove the lifters!), and saw NO damage, no shavings, no broken springs, no weird wear marks, nothing. I was so sure that it was a lifter issue, i went ahead and replaced them all. Put it all back together, started it up... tick-tick-tick-tick....

Suspecting maybe a valve, i put a vacuum gauge looking for a corresponding dip in pressure, but it's solid as a rock.

So my next thought was bearings, so i pulled the oil pan expecting to find some shredded bearings in the bottom, but nothing...

I pulled the intake down to the fuel rail, and swapped the injectors from one side to the other to see if the noise would move... no change.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.... Short of tearing down and rebuilding the entire engine, I am out of ideas.

admyral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Could be piston slap. Are you 100% sure that itís your engine? If not, try removing the belt and start your engine to see if itís one of the accessories.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

After you check what 1222 suggested....

It does sound like it is ticking at cam speed.
A blocked oil hole to a lifter would prevent even a new one from pumping up.

Can you run it with the valve covers off? You need to identify which cylinder/valve train the noise is coming from.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
admyral
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Could be piston slap.
What the best method for testing this? I didnt see any grooves or scratches in the cylinder bores.

Quote:
Are you 100% sure that it’s your engine?
I didnt run without the belt, but i did put the stethescope on each accessory and didnt hear the tick. I will try this next (and feel REALLY stupid if it's true )

Quote:
A blocked oil hole to a lifter would prevent even a new one from pumping up.
All of the old lifters were full of oil, and none had any dry-bore scarring on them.

Quote:
Can you run it with the valve covers off?
Running without the valve covers is what i was going to try next... Unfortunately the engineeres at Trenton got me again, and made it so you have to remove the intake manifold to remove the VCs, and since the fuel comes in through there, you have to reassemble everything before running it, then take it all apart again to put the VC's back on .... By the end of this, i will certainly be an expert at tearing down and putting back together this engine.
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Man you might as well have overhauled the engine--

Sounds to me like a belt burr, or alternator brg/armature "tick", I'd put the steth0 on the idler pulley too

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
admyral
2007 JK Wrangler 

Side note. Attached is a pic of how far you have to dig into the 3.8 to replace a lifter.
engine-without-heads.jpg  
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just went out and looked at mine. I can get a straight shot at all the valve cover bolts with the intake manifold in place. The coil pack must be moved, though.

My 4.0L straight six has to have the head removed to get the lifters out, too.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a lifter removal tool that I used on my dodge 440/426-without removing the heads-

I guess (don't know) you haven't got enough room thru the pushrod hole ??

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
admyral
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, just as an update, it's definately not any of the bolt-ons... it runs with the exact same noise with the belt removed.
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Mpaull
2008 JK Wrangler 

JK Engine Noise

Did you check Timing Gear/Chain ? Just a thought. Glad My '08 JK came with the "lifetime" powertrain warrentee!! (Of course, getting it honored is another story)
Mpaull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

My 2011 makes this exact same noise. It's not quite as loud as your video, but it's the exact same noise. I've sort of ignored it because I've got a laundry list of other issues and I'm under warranty so if it pops they can tow it and give me a loaner.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
tulsarob
2008 JK Wrangler 

I too had a subtle "tick" noise. I went in for a dealer oil change, while the "expert" was filling out the info, while I was in line with the engine running, I said, "do you hear that ticking noise?"

He said yes, bent down a while to hear it a little better, then said it was the emmision control thingy on the whatcha macallit doomaflochy, and it was normal.

Those out of work Nasa rocket scientist make my head hurt
2008 JK Silver Rubicon, 2 dr, 6 spd, pwr windows, tow package, slush mats, lockin gas cap, lug nut locks, shorty antenna, woven-wire grill guard, Cobra 75WXST, Wilson 3' Flex Antenna, Teraflex ant bracket, Highrock element doors, RR Grab Handles,RR Fire Ext Holder, RR bumper,Smittybilt 8k winch,Daystar 3/4 coil spacer on front, Kilby engine skid, Rockhard transfer case skid, Poision Spyder evap skid

Last edited by tulsarob; 06-16-2011 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: spullin errorrs
tulsarob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have kind of a tick when she's cold, but goes away as soon as I push the clutch in and let it back out. I figure it was a syncro kind of thing, not to mention truck manual transmissions are a little on the noisy side anyhow.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It could be an exhaust leak somewhere on the manifold they make the same sound as a bad valve . There buggers to find. Try to get clear access to them and disconnect the fan then firer up the motor and use your hand to feel for hot air pulsing on it or use a piece of paper and watch for it to start jumping when you get to the leak make sure you check all the way down to the straight pipe under the jeep.
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

PCV Valve? I've heard them tick before while opening and closing....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.