2007 JK engine advice needed (blew all 4 O2 sensors) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2007 JK engine advice needed (blew all 4 O2 sensors)

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Jennifer757
2007 JK Wrangler 

2007 JK engine advice needed (blew all 4 O2 sensors)

I have a 2007 4 dr wrangler lifted with 35" and just about every accessory out there. At 39,000 miles my engine just blew without warning. Blew the shortblock. There was minor grudge in it, despite all oil maintance history since 12k miles every 3k miles. warranty ended at 36k miles and dealership says nothing they can do.

700 miles after dealership put in New ShortBlock,New sparks & manifold, my engine light came on. Took it in the next day (past MON) and they told me it was nothing, just the entire "brain/computer" of the jeep. Said they would cover it under warranty. Just got a call and they said not the computer as the light came back on(despite putting a new one in) and that all 4 O2 sensors are blown. Asked me how that happened. I am clueless?

Any advice? THank you!

Jennifer757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

the best likelyhood would be something they screwed up on install and it didnt surface until 700 miles.. but i dont know how you can prove anything.
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Jennifer757
2007 JK Wrangler 

Question is- could I have caused all 4 sensors to blow at the same time? I dont see how?
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer757 View Post
Question is- could I have caused all 4 sensors to blow at the same time? I dont see how?
never heard of that in the 20 years ive worked on cars.
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Jennifer757
2007 JK Wrangler 

they are saying it is not under warranty either....
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

My advice would be to find a local Jeep club or Jeeper and get a referral to a Jeep friendly shop. If it's not under warranty, why pay dealer shop rates?

Prolly save some $$...

Good Luck
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
My advice would be to find a local Jeep club or Jeeper and get a referral to a Jeep friendly shop. If it's not under warranty, why pay dealer shop rates?

Prolly save some $$...

Good Luck
^^^word, if it not under warranty, the stealership would be LAST place I would take my jeep.
A power surge would be the only reason I can think of that would cause all 4 sensors to blow. I believe they are narrow band so they should be cheap to replace.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

bad ground??, perhaps w/ the ECU, or/and a clogged/damaged cat converter from first engine debacle (did you contact Chrysler Zone rep and start a conversation on warranty replacement or partial coverage from Xysler? If not, start now!). You really need a complete scan/sniffer test done and follow-up on all engine sensors/functions/codes too. O2 sensors rarely fail, they get "lazy" and outa band but, often work forever unless corroded. Especially the ones after the cats, they are just "on/off" readings which leads me to believe it's from first engines damage that "polluted" the cat etc., at that time....
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

The mist common cause of oxygen sensor failure is a plugged catalytic converter which is caused by running rich.

And you guys always bash the parts counter guys that work at retail auto parts stores.....

I don't work there anymore, but did while I was in college.
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

Jennifer where in FL are you? what dealer you using now?
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I know a guy on jk-forum spun a bearing at 39k miles and Chrystler reimbursed him all but $800 I think. Contact their help line.

It seems like 39k miles seems to be a do or die point in the JK's. Either they move on and work great, or the engine grenades...
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Jaimy
2007 JK Wrangler 

So I replaced my spark plugs and wires and got a wire crossed. It misfired pretty hard now my check engine light is on despite being reset several times it just comes back on. I've taken it for a full diagnostic test and they said the original code was for an O2 sensor. They watched all sensors and said all were working properly. They cleared the code and it came back on about 50mi later. Any ideas?

Also Im about to replace my rear shocks with bilstein 5100s should I use threadlocker on the bolts?
Jaimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

THe blown original engine could have oiled up the exhaust (and thus the o2 sensors) - followed by the new engine making enough heat to carbonize the oil on the o2 sensors and enough condensation to short the carbonized sensors. Narrow bands do not have their own heater in the sensor. Wide bands would have burned off any oil immediately after engine stopped running while ign was still on..

The dealer DID a favor by trying to fix under the federal 100K emission warranty - which does NOT cover the sensors. had they gone with sensors and the related cost first I would have thought them to be big weenies. And not the good kind....
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
02 sensor , 3.8L V6 , failure , JK Wrangler , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.