2007 Jeep Sahara Electrical Issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-14-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Paws104

2007 Jeep Sahara Electrical Issues

Ok - here it is exactly 1 yr to the day and I am experiencing the same exact problem as a year ago - battery light comes on - lights dim and then the jeep dies - I had it towed and am waiting again to find out what is going on. This is 4th time in the last 14 months this has happened. The 1st time the mechanic we towed to said the jeep started fine and the alternator and battery tested fine. 2nd time it happened we had it towed to same mechanic and that time he said it was the alternator so we had it replaced - mechanic said the battery was fine. 3rd time the mechanic said it was the battery, so we bought a new battery and at that time the mechanic also installed a temporary voltage meter. But during all the repairs the check engine light would come back on and when checked the codes would be random and different. The jeep ran fine so after a month we went back and the mechanic on 3/14/2015 removed the voltage meter. Our jeep has run fine up until 2/13/16 - I am at a total loss on what to think - there was talk last year that there was a possible short somewhere in the wiring or the computer was bad. I just want to be fixing the right problem and not a crap shoot fingers crossed it's fixed. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Could be a loose connection.
Check the main wire that goes from the battery to the TIPM, (fuse box). The lug in the box could be loose.

Check all the grounds you can find. I believe there is at least one under the TIPM.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2016, 12:44 AM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

see if the wire connecting to the battery clamps are broken at the connection. unscrew and take a look.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Paws104

Got call from mechanic - said there are a ton of codes coming up - alternator is ok but the new battery purchased 10 months ago is bad - he also said altnator is putting out 15.8 which is probably what fried battery - he thinks its definately the computer but is fearful that all the modules are going to be shot now too - now we are talking a big ticket repair - do I repair it and take the risk this problem is fixed or just get rid of it. He also said the jeep started fine the next morning - yet it died the night before and had to be towed......still looking for advise on the matter
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 01:03 PM
captainstabbin

Trade it in...
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2016, 04:55 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws104 View Post
Got call from mechanic - said there are a ton of codes coming up - alternator is ok but the new battery purchased 10 months ago is bad - he also said altnator is putting out 15.8 which is probably what fried battery - he thinks its definately the computer but is fearful that all the modules are going to be shot now too - now we are talking a big ticket repair - do I repair it and take the risk this problem is fixed or just get rid of it. He also said the jeep started fine the next morning - yet it died the night before and had to be towed......still looking for advise on the matter
mine pushed 15+ for about a year and a half (and stupid me thought it was normal because they are AGMs which like 15.3 charge rate). fortunately I had a dual battery so the overcharge was absorbed some across two rather than one (I think that and being AGM is what saved me). We changed the alt - same - reflashed the computer and it has been at 14.2 max (usually around 13.5 but will go to 14.2 for a short time after a heavy draw like winch) for a year and a half now. And I don't know your tech from Adam - but as many guys I have seen just take out the old battery and connect the new - without cleaning the metal ring and lug to a shiny surface - make SURE he is not just "checking" them (looks tight feels tight must be good) but actually servicing (take them apart and CLEAN them with a wire brush) - both lugs and terminals.

A bad ground can cause the alternator to think the battery is not charged (well because it ISN"T - its semi insulated from BEING a bad ground) and thus run max amps/voltage. The computer then is exposed to the excess voltage.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.