2 months on Bestop Supertop NX twill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2 months on Bestop Supertop NX twill

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
jgroda
2012 JK Wrangler 

2 months on Bestop Supertop NX twill

Biggest mistake I ever made was buying the hardtop for my 2012 Jk 2 door, the heat doesn't bother me so as long as its above 65 or so i run with the top off no matter how hot it gets.

The problem here in Houston is it can rain at any time out of a clear sky, and there are no good options to keep you that dry.

I also didn't like the freedom top design, it sounds good on paper, but I found that since there is no way to open the back window on the hardtop while driving it would create a vortex of air at 50 mph or higher that made my eardrums feel like they were going to burst. I know that might be just me, but it was pretty intensely painful every time I tried it.

In my opinion it also scratches way to easy. The paint is just way to thin.

But enough about that

So I decided to go with the new bestop supertop NX in Twill and ditch the hardtop.

First, whoever wrote the instructions hates you... passionately. An hour in and you will want to track them down and murder their entire bloodline so they cant continue to pollute the earth.

The you tube video is a better show on how to do it, once I watched that video, I ditched the instructions and had it on in about 30 minutes.

Everyone says it should be in the 70's to install it, but it was in the 50's and I had no real issues, but I am a big boy so I could manhandle it a little bit.

The secret is to attach the brackets to the sports bars and then all the bows before messing with the fabric.

Once it was on I loved it. It is BLACK, just drinks in the light.

It has a nice sturdy feel to the fabric, and is pretty easy to take down and put back up once you get the hang of it. I highly recommend the window bag bestop sells. I know people complain about the price, but its so damn convenient for rolling up the windows.

I like the sunrider feature alot more than I expected I would. But I do find the cross beam distracting, cant have everything I suppose. I know alot of people run without it, but I find that the top is considerably louder if you don't have it.

You will hear people complain about a whistling sound with these tops. What I found was when you put the top up sometimes the seal on the header on the front windshield gets pinched and that will cause the whistling above 30mph. Just push it back into place with your finger and its good to go

Oddly I find the noise level about the same on the hardtop or the softtop, the softtop may actually be a little quieter. Its also strangely more watertight. It definetly doesn't insulate as well as the hardtop, I can tell that is a little colder

The only real negative is as good as that blacker than black top looks clean, every single speck of dirt and mud shine like the sun. Some people have complained about the mud staining the black, i have gotten mine pretty muddy and haven't had any staining, but the mud in southeast Texas may be different from where they live.

We will have to see how it holds up after a year, but outside of my enduring rage about the poor instructions I couldn't be happier. Mine didn't come with the elastic garters that hold up the back window, but I called bestop and they overnight ed them right to me. They also advised me about 4 times not to use traditional top cleaners and sealers you would use for a canvas or vinyl top, and that if I take it to the carwash to be careful not to let them, they seemed sort of serious about it so I would assume there is some sort of problem there. They said they would have a line of products out for this top in a month or so.

jgroda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroda View Post
First, whoever wrote the instructions hates you... passionately. An hour in and you will want to track them down and murder their entire bloodline so they cant continue to pollute the earth...
Hahahaha......nicely done.

Unread 03-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think the guy that wrote the instructions has family that made the bikini top too. If you find him/or her you can givem one for me too.

We bought or 012 in 011. The top was said "to work" on a 012. Seems Jeep changed the way the seal at the a pillar is designed and that effeced the bikini rails way of hanging on. needless to say at about 55 it blew off. I have been running just the freedom panels now about 90% of the year. Way better than the bikini top anyway.

My wife bought me a set of soft doors from best top they are nice, fit was perfect out of the box. I just run them as half doors and love them worth the money. Best tops rear tono cover i like alot too. keeps my trail gear covered and tire. very good fit too.

If it rains alot or you are like me and hate a top. Just pull the carpet, that was one of our first mods. I have a few BIG plastic bags i have too incase. cover the steering wheel seats
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroda View Post
...I also didn't like the freedom top design, it sounds good on paper, but I found that since there is no way to open the back window on the hardtop while driving it would create a vortex of air at 50 mph or higher that made my eardrums feel like they were going to burst. I know that might be just me, but it was pretty intensely painful every time I tried it...
I know what you mean as it happens to me too. Although I never open the tailgate window while driving itís the rear windows that will do that. The trick is to crack open one or both front windows a few inches or more and all will be fine. Found that out in í08 with my first 4dr.

Nice write-up by the way.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
n3qtrtme
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the awesome write-up! I'm in Houston and ended up with that damned hardtop too. After having one on my last Jeep, I swore I would not get one again. The deal on the Jeep was so good though I could not pass it up and figured I could buy the soft top and sell the hardtop. Trektop NX in twill will be on order tomorrow. Thanks again!
n3qtrtme is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.