2" Lift Drive Shaft question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2" Lift Drive Shaft question

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

2" Lift Drive Shaft question

I have a 08 4 door JK X with an auto trans. Im looking at a small 2" lift from Rustys. I don't want anything to high or wild since I will only be doing moderate trail runs. My question is with a 2" lift and 285/70/17s will I need to replace my front DS? I have heard of the boots ripping off when wheeling. I would like to keep the DS stock for now. Im thinking that only 2" will not make that much of a change in the angle of the DS, or am I wrong? Rustys Offroad: JK Wrangler 2" Basic Kit

Any thoughts on this?

Dang, all this time and I thought it was the famous Jeep Wave!! ~bluegrassguitar
BlueLesPaul2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
mikeinminn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2.5" lift and the DS hit the auto transmission pretty solidly. However, if you don't get an adjustable tackbar to recenter the axle (which is generally considered unnecessary with a 2" lift) you probably won't hit. I didn't have a problem until I recentered. Maybe others have had different experiences? If you don't have to replace the DS, don't. The Rzeppa allows you to lift without having to choose between correct caster and correct driveline angle. With the stock DS you can just install cams (if you want) and set the caster without concerns. AEV is working on a narrow Rzeppa shaft that will be the best of all worlds. Just waiting.....
mikeinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Seems to be that the front DS only becomes a problem at 2.5 or over on an auto because of the under body clearance...try it out and see if it works.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Seems to be that the front DS only becomes a problem at 2.5 or over on an auto because of the under body clearance...try it out and see if it works.
not on a 4 door
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
mikeinminn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
not on a 4 door
I think I read somewhere that there is no difference between the 2 and 4 doors (with regard to this issue)because the driveshaft that causes the trouble is the front one...thus no difference in length or placement. My 2.5" lift didn't cause contact until I corrected the geometry using a trackbar relocation/reinforcement bracket. Then it was only on extreme left droop articulation while discoed.
mikeinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Res6cue
2009 JK Wrangler 

I used a Rubicon Express 2" lift & shocks on my JKU 4 door Auto and have had no hitting or rubbing issues so far
Res6cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

in my setup:

2dr auto
3.5 clayton lift
jks quicker disconnects
adjustable trackbars
bilstein shocks

the stock driveshaft rubbed on the auto transmission's skid plate when near full droop. threw on tom woods 1350, but it still contacted slightly at full droop.

i ended up removing the stock transmission skid plate.

still don't know what variable in my set-up wouldn't let a narrower aftermarket drive shaft clear the stock skid.

edit: jimbo raised a good point below that i left out in mine. the full droop where i had continuing problems contacting was not done in the wild. it was in a garage with one wheel taken far farther then i think have the gonads for on a rock.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've got the 2.5" lift on my '08 JKU Rubi (auto) and -no problem

However, I haven't flexed "EXTREME", just off-road, hills/rocks/sand/snow-

By extreme, I mean hanging one tire on the end of the shock!!

I haven't replaced either of the trackbars-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

would anyone with a 2-2.5" lift be able to post any pics of the problem area? from the threads that I have searched I cant find many pics of this before damage.

Dang, all this time and I thought it was the famous Jeep Wave!! ~bluegrassguitar
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLesPaul2006 View Post
My question is with a 2" lift and 285/70/17s will I need to replace my front DS? I have heard of the boots ripping off when wheeling.
If you leave your stock automatic trans skid plate on after the lift, you'll likely rip your boot sooner than later.

Ripping the boot isn't a show stopper -- it's not like you'll have to get towed home. IIRC, the boot helps keep the drive shaft lubed. Without it, the DS life is reduced, but some folks have wheeled another 20,000+ miles after the boot ripped before the DS finally gave up.

Who knows when/if you'll need to replace yours. The potential is always there, but personally, it's not something I'd worry about replacing before it fails.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
If you leave your stock automatic trans skid plate on after the lift, you'll likely rip your boot sooner than later.

Ripping the boot isn't a show stopper -- it's not like you'll have to get towed home. IIRC, the boot helps keep the drive shaft lubed. Without it, the DS life is reduced, but some folks have wheeled another 20,000+ miles after the boot ripped before the DS finally gave up.

Who knows when/if you'll need to replace yours. The potential is always there, but personally, it's not something I'd worry about replacing before it fails.
Can you cut the skid plate down? or replace it for one that will not cut it. I have heard about people notching it, that must be what they are doing it for.

Unread 10-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

I think I've seen a writeup where someone "notched it" to help with this issue.

I ended up replacing my stocker trans skid plate with the one from Rock Hard that also covers the oil pan. It doesn't seem to have the same rub issue as the stocker.
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
I think I've seen a writeup where someone "notched it" to help with this issue.

I ended up replacing my stocker trans skid plate with the one from Rock Hard that also covers the oil pan. It doesn't seem to have the same rub issue as the stocker.
Thanks I looked up the rock hard skid. I think that is what I will put on. does it bolt right on or do you have to modify anything to install?

Unread 10-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is a thread with pic's of one issue > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...d-off-1049230/
It came directly from the F.A.Q.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLesPaul2006 View Post
Thanks I looked up the rock hard skid. I think that is what I will put on. does it bolt right on or do you have to modify anything to install?
Bolts right on. The only "issue" I had was that the exhaust in my JK sits a little lower than most at the cross-over part, which caused a rattle. Rock Hard sent me a shim to address that.

Tags
2" lift , drive shaft , lift , rubbing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.