2 Dr JK - Seat won't fold & slide for rear passenger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2 Dr JK - Seat won't fold & slide for rear passenger

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave on AEM Intakes from XT!

Unread 09-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
carnut08
2009 JK Wrangler 

2 Dr JK - Seat won't fold & slide for rear passenger

The release still allows the seatback to fold forward, but the seat won't budge.

The only way a rear passenger can get out is to have the front seat passenger use the seat adjuster to move the seat forward.

Anybody know the fix for this?

carnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's the way its supposed to work...
Front seat folds and slides forward, they dropped the tumble feature for the JKs.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

I had the same thing happen to my 2 door. If you look under the seat on the inboard side of the outboard rail you'll see where the spring loaded mechanism is attached to the seat rail. There is a small pin about 3/4" long that slides from the outboard side of the seat into the seat mechanism that give it it's "spring".

That pin has a tendency to slide out (towards the door) and disengage itself from the spring mechanism. I'm horrible at explaining this but if you trace the cable from the handle under the seat and then look along the seat rail for the pin I think it will make sense to you. All you have to do is hold the mechanism up and push the pin back into place. You can access the pin by looking in between the seat rail and the seat mount rail. I just used a small flat head screw driver to re-seat the pin.

It's happened to me a couple times, next time I think I'll throw some JB weld on the head of the pin to prevent it from backing out. Hope this makes sense to you.
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
carnut08
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZORBILL View Post
I had the same thing happen to my 2 door. If you look under the seat on the inboard side of the outboard rail you'll see where the spring loaded mechanism is attached to the seat rail. There is a small pin about 3/4" long that slides from the outboard side of the seat into the seat mechanism that give it it's "spring".

That pin has a tendency to slide out (towards the door) and disengage itself from the spring mechanism. I'm horrible at explaining this but if you trace the cable from the handle under the seat and then look along the seat rail for the pin I think it will make sense to you. All you have to do is hold the mechanism up and push the pin back into place. You can access the pin by looking in between the seat rail and the seat mount rail. I just used a small flat head screw driver to re-seat the pin.

It's happened to me a couple times, next time I think I'll throw some JB weld on the head of the pin to prevent it from backing out. Hope this makes sense to you.
Thanks! I'll give it a look see.
Unread 09-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
carnut08
2009 JK Wrangler 

Razorbill - Your description was easy to follow. I found the pin and moved it all around to no effect. Guess my issue is different. Thanks anyway.
Unread 09-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

I went a took another look. There is a metal rod that goes from one side of the seat to the other. On the outboard side of that rod is a flat steel "L" shaped bracket with the center cut out. That small pin should slide into that area that is cut out of that bracket.

If that pin isn't engaged in something than that is your problem. I'll try and get a picture here in a minute.

Al
Unread 09-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Alright, I grab a picture. The area I circled is where the small pin engages in the L shaped bracket. You will need to hold the rod in position to get the in the slot. Hope this helps:

Here's another pic. The yellow is the metal rod I refer to and the green outlines the inboard side of the L bracket, you can see the area of the bracket that is milled out where the small pin slides in. It looks L shaped when looking under the seat from the front, not from the side.

Unread 09-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
carnut08
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks again Razorbill!

I just got back and saw your pictures. I had found the right pin, but the rod was rotated to the rear and so what I saw didn't look like your pictures.

At first I thought there must have been a design change from '09 to 10, but then I took my own pictures from the same angle you did and I could see that the tab you outlined in orange was rotated to the extreme rear and stuck. Once I got it to rotate, I could see that the pin was supposed to fit as you described.

The pin is VERY loose in its guide holes. What a dumb design!

I'm amazed that you were ever even able to figure this out. I couldn't have done it without your help.
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Trust me I fussed with it for a couple hours and maybe even a couple bad words before I figured it out. Glad you got it fixed.
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
Ron Burgundy
Team CANON

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavic View Post
That's the way its supposed to work...
Front seat folds and slides forward, they dropped the tumble feature for the JKs.
I thought this was accurate. But ?

MYGIG Database Thread

I appreciate all of the info & good people on this site.
JK Sahara 2dr
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #11
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy

I thought this was accurate. But ?
07 to 10 they fold and slide. 11 and 12 they fold and tumble.
Unread 11-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
fmdualexhaust
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 12 doesn't seem to tumble.
fmdualexhaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmdualexhaust
My 12 doesn't seem to tumble.
It's more of flop than a tumble. It'll fold, slide forward and then flop towards the windshield to give about another 2" of entry space. The passenger seat is the only one that'll do it.
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
cmashark
2014 JK Wrangler 

my '11 doesn't do that....
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Beachdweller
2011 JK Wrangler 

Guess I'll be checking mine tomorrow....I know mine didn't fold up any when I tried it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.