2 door X vs 4 door Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2 door X vs 4 door Rubicon

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

2 door X vs 4 door Rubicon

This isnít a question post, this is more of a opinion. Having owned an 07 X 2 door and now owning an 07 4 door Rubicon I have a pretty good idea of the differences of the on road/off road capabilities. I know when I first bought it and posted up someone said they would be curious to get my opinion on the capabilities difference. I know we get a post every few weeks saying "which one is better, 2dr or 4dr".

First off, the drive there was much more enjoyable. It is true the 4 door drives much better on road at higher speeds. Turning is a little wider so making a U turn in the middle of a 2 lane road isnít going to happen. What I really like is all the extra room for gear. I have half doors so I took the uppers off and the windows and put them in the back along with the cooler and tools and I didnít have a thing in the back seat.

At the trail it was nice to reach down, hit a button, and the sway bar is disconnected. With the X I had to get out with a socket wrench to disconnect and then had to tie the bar in the right place or it would rub the tires at full flex. First thing I noticed, yeah the 4 door is long. The place we went, Beasley knob, has a lot of short hill climbs that go up one side, crest, and then go back down. I think I took an inch off everyone one of them with my skids. I never got hung up on them; I just could feel the belly touch the top. The long wheel base also got me a little going through the trees. I ended up rubbing the rear of the soft top a few times on trees trying to make tight turns in the trees. 2 door would have fit much better in those situations. BUT Beasley is also know for its long steep hills and wow the 4 door was so much better. It felt a lot more stable going up and down the hills. As other drivers talked about the front wheels feeling light as they went up I never once got the feeling.

As far doing obstacles, there were a few ledges I skided on but I am also stock and I expected it. BUT it was kinda nice to be long so I didnít have that ďstraightĒ down feeling coming off the ledges. A little better line pick and things were just fine. I made it down a section that 2 YJís rolled on minutes before me. The lockers on the RubiÖ wow just wow. MY X was lifted, 35Ē Xterrains, 4.10 gears and the limited slip in the rear. The Rubi is stock and wow it was amazing how much better off road it was just due to the lockers.

My opinions: If your trail is tight turning, and I mean tight that it is a challenge to do it in a 2 door than you are going to damage the rear of the 4 door. Other than that I donít see much issue. Yes the 4 door can get hung up in the middle quicker but a simple 2.5Ē Budget boost and I would has missed most everything I hit. If you are doing big climbs or descents, 4 door all the way.

As far as Rubi vs X, get the Rubicon if you can afford it. Night and day.

Happy Jeepin

Unread 07-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the follow up. It's sort of what I expected and it is good to hear about someone's real world experience in comparing the two compared to a bunch of yahoos that spew forth nonsense based on assumptions rather than facts or experience.
Unread 07-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah it was a big change. In fact I wheeled my X at the same park a year ago so it was a real good comparison for me to see how they both did.

I wanted to give a review just because of what you said Prot. Most of the answers that come from people are either opinions with no real world basis or they just repeat what they read somewhere else. I wheeled my 2 door for a over a year and was not light on it at all. I was not easy on the Rubicon either and I got a lot of jokes and disbelief from people there because I still had on the 2 week old dealer temporary tags…
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I had no idea that you got a Rubi.... ....did you trade the X?
Got a picture for me?

When I decided on the Sahara, I had convinced myself that I wouldn't be doing any rocks and such. Now I know better and cry a little every time I see a Rubicon.
I don't think Mirtes will let me trade for quite some time though. Unless we move to Montanna....

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

yep I traded in about 2 weeks ago. The Rubi was used with 4,500 miles and they only wanted $23k for it so I jumped... I love it so far.

Unread 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Nice!
At least our rigs don't match anymore; maybe people won't assume you're my son...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I see you have half doors. How is it running soft uppers?
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
JeepCEO

Does it take much longer time to put down soft top of 4dr than 2dr?
JeepCEO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I like the soft uppers. They leak like no tomorrow but I dont have carpet so I don't care much. I like taking them off, having the open view but still having a door.

As far as the soft top, no clue. I dont put down the top much. I run with no windows like above but I keep the top on to keep from frying in the sun, and cause I am lazy
Unread 07-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
rufrdr

The plastic uppers on my 4 dr Rubicon so far haven't leaked - in only one rain storm. My Rubicon 4 door did everything my TJ with a detroit locker in the rear could do except that it got high centered on a mound that a TJ went right over. Rats! He had to strap me over it. How embarrasing. The front and rear lockers made all the difference on some sporty off roading recently with the Rubicon. The 2 door would be a bit better off road but the 4 door allowed me to go on vacation and bring the dogs, the son, the wife, a weeks worth of stuff and not have to bring another vehicle like I had to do when I had the TJ.
rufrdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
jeepcouple
2012 JK Wrangler 

We purchased our first Jeep in April - a 2008 2 door Sahara. My wife was very insistent that we purchase a 4 door with the wider rear seat, more storage, easier access to the rear seat, etc.

However she quickly changed her mind when I pointed out that the 4 door looks like a 4 door Avalanche truck or Honda truck (side on) when the top is down.

We'll never drive doorless for various reasons and we like the convenience of roll up windows in our 2 door but I must admit that i am curious.........Would the 4 door with full doors on the front and half doors on the back have the same "more open look" of the 2 door and still retain the convenience of the full doors for driver and front passenger?

Anyone else consider such an arrangement? I'd love to see pictures.

Thanks
jeepcouple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
hughes278
2006 TJ Wrangler 

there is acutally a guy who runs that set up here.. he said that he bought 4 door half doors and buddy bought 2 door full doors and they both just liked the other better so traded front doors. He says he loves it and he always has the top off... First time I saw it I thought it was some weird truck looking jeep. I will try to get a picture next time I see him.
hughes278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

A wise man once said

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those who bought a 2 door and those who WISH they bought a 2 door."

I would go with the Rubicon if you plan to do any kind of wheeling at all, plus the 4 door JKs are better if you plan to put people in the back. My XJ, you just flip the seat, I heard that the JKs dont have the flip up seats though.
Unread 08-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
hack99
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
A wise man once said

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those who bought a 2 door and those who WISH they bought a 2 door."

I would go with the Rubicon if you plan to do any kind of wheeling at all, plus the 4 door JKs are better if you plan to put people in the back. My XJ, you just flip the seat, I heard that the JKs dont have the flip up seats though.
Our unlimited rear seats fold down for even more space. Then flip-up for 3 seats. 60/40 maybe 70/30 folding seats.

I agree with the OP on all accounts.
And to the poster who thought the unlimited looks like anything other than a Wrangler 4-door with a top down...I don't see that, I see a 4-door Jeep with its top down...lol
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack99 View Post
Our unlimited rear seats fold down for even more space. Then flip-up for 3 seats. 60/40 maybe 70/30 folding seats.

I agree with the OP on all accounts.
And to the poster who thought the unlimited looks like anything other than a Wrangler 4-door with a top down...I don't see that, I see a 4-door Jeep with its top down...lol
I meant the 2 door JKs, the front seats dont flip up for easy access to the rear.

Tags
2 door , comparison , JK Wrangler , review , rubicon , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.