2 calipers sticking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2 calipers sticking?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Furyguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

2 calipers sticking?

I have a 2012 Wrangler sport 6 spd. 47k. On my way home from work today, I noticed that it really seemed like I had a caliper sticking. Gas mileage went down, Jeep won't coast, 60mph in 6th it won't hold speed. When I got home I checked and both the left front and right rear are really hot. Are there any known issues on this? Or could it be something else? Weird that both one front and opposite rear would do this. Its Sunday, so I'll call my dealer in the morning. The REALLY frustrating thing is yesterday on my way to work a caliper stuck on my other car (1989 Supra). I took it off and verified that the piston wouldn't go back in, so I ordered a new caliper and pads for it. Now this happens to my Jeep today!? Any thoughts if it could be something else?

Thanks.

*Edit...I let it cool down a half hour, took it up to my brother-in-laws, and it's not doing it now. I'm going to yank the tires and see what I can see.

Furyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

My 08 JKUX has had both rear calipers lock up. One last year and one about a month ago. Both front calipers are original. 70K miles.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Furyguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I took the calipers off....the sliders were fine and well lubed, the piston was free and working fine. But, wear the pads sit in, they had a small build up of rust and brake dust at the top and bottom to where the pads were sticking in place. That's the only thing I could find. So wire brushed them and relubed everything and put it back together and it seems to be fine. 47k on the pads and they still look like new thickness, and only a tiny bit of glazing from this episode. I have only driven the Jeep a couple times in the last 2.5 months, so I guess I need to drive it more.
Furyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyguy
I took the calipers off....the sliders were fine and well lubed, the piston was free and working fine. But, wear the pads sit in, they had a small build up of rust and brake dust at the top and bottom to where the pads were sticking in place. That's the only thing I could find. So wire brushed them and relubed everything and put it back together and it seems to be fine. 47k on the pads and they still look like new thickness, and only a tiny bit of glazing from this episode. I have only driven the Jeep a couple times in the last 2.5 months, so I guess I need to drive it more.
On both of my rear calipers the sliders and pins were totally free and lubed but the caliper piston itself was stuck.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Once a caliper starts sticking, it will happen again. If it happens again, jack it up and see if there is drag after turning the engine off. If no drag, then possibly something with the ABS/traction control, if the drag is still there then it sounds like caliper.

Hopefully it's the caliper.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.