JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2.5" Rough Country Spacer lift - confused (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2-5-rough-country-spacer-lift-confused-1441173/)

chrisguags 11-22-2012 04:05 PM

2.5" Rough Country Spacer lift - confused
 
Hi all! I have done a great amount of research on the 2.5" RC Spacer lift($139.95) and cant seem to make sense of some things.

I have an automatic 08 Sahara 2 door, completely stock, and I am looking to put a lift on it, new tires (preferably Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/R18) and keep the stock 18" wheels. I would get 1.5" wheel spacers from Rough Country as well.

People have told me that this setup will run fine, while others have said that the wheel spacers would not be large enough. I have even seen that I can only run a 285/75 tire with the lift? Not sure if thats true or not.

Can anyone clear this up for me, confirm that my desired setup would work or not?

Suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you


Happy Thanksgiving

79_ta_guy 11-22-2012 05:44 PM

I'm currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers in 35x12.5R18LT on my stock Sahara 18's using Rough Country 1.5" spacers with there 2.5" BB for around six months now. Had some rubbing on the stock plastic air dam during low speed sharp turns so I just removed it. All is good now but I'm ready to upgrade to a RK 2.5 Max Travel. :thumbsup:

RockyClymer 11-22-2012 06:19 PM

First, welcome to our forum:wave:
Plenty of info here when you search and read.
Your setup should be fine for a DD and you will probably rub a bit when off road and flexed out a bit.

chrisguags 11-22-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79_ta_guy (Post 14494454)
I'm currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers in 35x12.5R18LT on my stock Sahara 18's using Rough Country 1.5" spacers with there 2.5" BB for around six months now. Had some rubbing on the stock plastic air dam during low speed sharp turns so I just removed it. All is good now but I'm ready to upgrade to a RK 2.5 Max Travel. :thumbsup:

That is great news for me considering the 295/70/R18 are smaller than a 35x12.5 tire!

Did you need to do anything with the gear ratio?

JIMBOX 11-22-2012 06:35 PM

:cool: If you have a stick, you can probably live with your gears,but

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisguags (Post 14494599)
That is great news for me considering the 295/70/R18 are smaller than a 35x12.5 tire!

Did you need to do anything with the gear ratio?

If you have an auto,you need to regear, can't live with 33" tires with even 4.10 gears--gotta have at least 4.88s, or best for you 5.13 gears-

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

08Helotes 11-22-2012 08:52 PM

You should be fine to run it. I run the Rough Country 2.5" lift kit (the actual shocks and coils) With 285/70/17 KM2's and no trouble rubbing. It will be just fine. And honestly, no you dont have to regear or anything else, mine runs with 3.73 in both axles, no problem. If you wish to run the stock rims, You'll need those spacers, and yes, 1.5" spacers is plenty, you may have some small rubbing at full turn, but otherwise you should be fine!

chrisguags 11-23-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Helotes (Post 14495260)
You should be fine to run it. I run the Rough Country 2.5" lift kit (the actual shocks and coils) With 285/70/17 KM2's and no trouble rubbing. It will be just fine. And honestly, no you dont have to regear or anything else, mine runs with 3.73 in both axles, no problem. If you wish to run the stock rims, You'll need those spacers, and yes, 1.5" spacers is plenty, you may have some small rubbing at full turn, but otherwise you should be fine!

Great, thanks for all the input guys! Im about to order the lift and spacers. I am most likely going to go with Nitto Terra Grapplers LT275/70R18 so I dont need to worry about any rubbing or changing the gear ratio.

Thanks again! And if anyone has any suggestions/advice/experience with the RC 2.5" Spacer lift, feel free to post :cheers2:

JIMBOX 11-23-2012 03:44 PM

:cool: I have the RC 2.5" spacers/RS9000XL shocks and Spiderflex 1.5" adapters on the wheels-

I use Hankook LT295/75x16 tires and NOW no rubbing/w the adapters and plastic "Air Dam" gone-my rims are ProComp 16x8/w 4.5" BS-

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Phil6mac 11-24-2012 09:15 AM

:)

chrisguags 11-25-2012 12:53 AM

Last question that I just realized...

I currently have the stock TPMS sensors obviously. Will I still be able to use these sensors?

aldaman 11-25-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisguags (Post 14503685)
Last question that I just realized...

I currently have the stock TPMS sensors obviously. Will I still be able to use these sensors?

Yes you can and will be fine. It's when you don't use them, then you will get this display (_!_) in your dash.

chrisguags 11-26-2012 10:53 PM

Okay, rather than starting a whole new thread, this all pertains to the same vehicle.

Would it be easier to get the tires installed at the shop with the wheel spacers, have them balanced, and THEN put on the lift?

What would be the best order to do this? :confused:

paul84043 11-27-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisguags (Post 14513989)
Okay, rather than starting a whole new thread, this all pertains to the same vehicle.

Would it be easier to get the tires installed at the shop with the wheel spacers, have them balanced, and THEN put on the lift?

What would be the best order to do this? :confused:

Ask the shop first about thier policy with spacers...many won't touch your vehicle with them on, some won't care and will probably just have you sign a waiver.
Might save you a trip.

You'll most likely be "okay" with the tires before the lift, you just don't want to go wheeling like that.
I ran 35's on stock suspension for a couple weeks with wheels that had about 4" backspace. I't hit the air dam and wheel wells at 80% turn, but it was liveable for a short period of time.
Nice and easy over those speedbumps...

chrisguags 12-01-2012 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the lift and wheel spacers all at once today, left everything else stock so far and I love it!! It seems like it rides a little differently but that can totally be just my mind. I love the look, I took before and after pictures if anyone is interested in seeing. The tire spacers gave the stock wheels/tires a nice look for now.

Extremely happy. Thanks so much guys!!!

SubAtomicGenius 12-01-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisguags (Post 14503685)
Last question that I just realized...

I currently have the stock TPMS sensors obviously. Will I still be able to use these sensors?

Actually, you won't be able to use stock TPMS sensors unless you get a programmer to reprogram the stock TPMS settings.

Why? Because you probably wont run stock tire pressures on 295/70 R18's because they will be too stiff and wear funny. Proper pressures will be most likely closer to 26-29 PSI. With less than stock tire pressures you'll get the alarm with the stock TPMS sensors set at factory settings.

My advice: buy an AEV ProCal and reprogram to zero tire pressure. Avoid installing the TPMS unless you really, really want to. They're a waste of money. Check your tire pressures often like a responsible driver who belongs on the road and doesn't need a machine to think for oneself...

:)

As far as the spacers are concerned, read the manual, install them step-by-step, use a properly calibrated torque wrench. Re-check torques after driving around for a week or so to make sure that they're still tight. Then check at recommended intervals. Spacers are safe as long as they are quality and installed/maintained properly.


The time now is 02:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.