2.5" lift or 3.5" lift. Yes... Another lift thread! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5" lift or 3.5" lift. Yes... Another lift thread!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

2.5" lift or 3.5" lift. Yes... Another lift thread!

So I am going to be ordering my 4 door JKU this week and I am planning on having 35's put on straight off the dealer lot. I know that the 2.5 is enough for the 35's, but I am thinking that I may bump up to 37's later down the road, which is why I am thinking the 3.5" is a better investment down the road. I am one of the few that like the stock fenders. I realize I could throw 37's on a 2.5" lift with some aftermarket fenders and a little trimming. Now from what I've been reading it seems like there are more issues with the 3.5" lift as far as drive shafts, etc. I am looking at the AEV 2.5 or 3.5 lifts as this will be a DD and weekend warrior - I do not plan on doing any extreme 4 wheeling in the near future as I have a CJ7 for that. That being said - If I am not wheeling this hard, will there still be more issues with the 3.5" lift versus the 2.5" lift??? Or does the AEV 3.5" lift cover everything I would need to get by?
Thanks for the help! I'm just trying to get everything figured out before placing an order for my Jeep

SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

I spent a good deal of time debating the same thing. Like you are seeing, anything more than a 2.5" lift creates additional things that need to be addressed.

For what it's worth, what I decided on is metal cloak fenders, 37's, and will probably go with rock krawler's 2.5" X factor kit for the simple fact that it is the only 2.5" lift that moves the rear axle back 1". Speaking with RK, they said that they actually designed that lift for people running flat fenders and 37's.

Mine is still a work in progress, but that is my plan anyways!
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

btw, where in TN are you?
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

I like the look of the metal cloak fenders, but don't need anything too aggressive right off the bat as I have a CJ7 for that. It will mainly be used as a DD and light trail rides with the family for the first part of it's life then the more aggressive mods will come later. The thing I don't like about the 2.5" AEV is that it isn't something I can really upgrade and go bigger later down the road without replacing it all which is why I am on the fence about going the 2.5 or 3.5 kit...

What all needs to be addressed with the 3.5" lift or the main problems with it versus the 2.5" lift?

I'm in south nashville. Spent 5 years in Knoxville for college. Go Vols!
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Scherer
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the 3.5" AEV with 37's and am very happy. Will regear eventually but have had no issues so far.

forumrunner_20130507_103059.jpg
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

at 37 gears will be needed. even if it was Rubi with 4:10"s. at 3.5 you will need a front drive line, sooner than later. 37"s and a d30 is a ticket to break.
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
37"s and a d30 is a ticket to break.
QFTT

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Also, will a 35" tire mount on the stock tire carrier??? I know it is pushing it, but I plan on having the spare, but don't want to immediately throw a new rear bumper and tire carrier to the list. That would be a future mod - front + rear bumpers - for sure. Or should I just run without the spare until I get the rear bumper and tire carrier? That's what I did on my YJ and I kind of liked the look without the spare - I do think it looks best with the spare on though...
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the picture Scherer! I am going with a black JK as well. I really love the Black AEV Pintlers but I just cannot justify spending 225 a pop on them - They look sweet though! I'm either going with some sort of black steel wheel or maybe a black alloy - That is another decision I'm trying top make. I think I'm gonna go with a 16" rim instead of the 17" rim (tires are cheaper on 16's and I personally like more rubber than wheel anyway). Are the alloy wheels substanially lighter than the steel wheels? Not sure if it would make a lot of difference as far as power.... I'm sure it would make a difference if the steel wheels are noticeably heavier.

ALSO, I am trying to narrow down my search for the best mud tire... I don't mind the hummmm, I actually enjoy it, but I want a mud tire that will last versus some that I was lucky to get 20k out of.... Looking at the KM2's or maybe the kevlars. Been trying to find some reviews, but haven''t found any that really said anything about the tread life! All the reviews I see are people that have only had the tires on for a week or two and love them
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Nitto Trail Grapplers (Mud terrain) and am surprised at how little noise they make.

A D30 on 37's is doable for the type of wheeling you plan to do. Just be sure to sleeve and gusset it.

As for the 35" spare on the stock carrier, for a limited time it may work. I've heard of people that have cracks in their tailgate due to the extra weight. I'd just throw the spare in the back. That's what I did for a year with my 37" spare....until I finally got a PSC rear with tire carrier. In the mean time I called the OEM spare tire carrier my "rear stinger". LOL

Scherer....bad *** looking rig!
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Scherer
2012 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Scherer....bad *** looking rig![/QUOTE]

Thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.