2.5'' lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5'' lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

2.5'' lift

I am going to order a 2.5'' lift for my '12 jk and have a few questions. The jeep will be my daily driver so it will see plenty of road use and be a weekend warrior. I want a lift that not only flexes decent but also does well with high speed gravel type roads.

1. I have read going over 2.5'' requires changing the drive shaft and other items, is this true?
2. I was looking at BDS but have heard there stuff is for street queens and doesnt flex well offroad, i want decent flex since there arent alot of rocky areas in ohio. Should i go with this kit.
3. If i dont go with BDS i was thinking an RK lift. Which will suit me better?
4. What is the difference between the RK 2.5'' flex system and 2.5'' stock mod system.

Again he jeep will be my daily driver so it will see plenty of road use and be a weekend warrior. I want a lift that not only flexes decent but also does well with high speed gravel type roads and daily driving on the highway. I want this kit to be the only one I will ever need to buy. The largest tire I will run on my jeep will be a 37''

Thanks for the help, and i have searched but couldnt find my exact answers, so please dont tell me to just search

toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
jk13crush
2013 JK Wrangler 

The Rockkrawler kit is a better made lift kit than the BDS kit. I dont think you need to change your driveshafts for only 2.5 in of lift but i could be wrong on that. if you want to run a 37 eventually i would consider the rockkrawler max travel or x factor kit. the max travel comes with lower control arms to fix the pinion angle with the lift and they keep you from loosing wheelbase length with the lift. the x factor kit gives you an inch of stretch so it is easier to run the 37". hope this helps with your decision
jk13crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

With 2.5"of lift you should not need to change your drive shafts at all. Your profile doesn't say if you have a manual or auto. The auto is where people run into problems of the boot wearing out once lifted. I would vote for the RK. I have a 3.5" RK and I love it. As far as running 37s with this kit. I think they would fit with the 2.5" and flat fenders but I run 3.5" with flat fenders and I personally wouldn't think of running any less lift with my tires. I had to do a good bit of pinch seem trimming as it was an I think you would come into issues once full stuffed. Also with your stock D30 I would consider going as far as 35s IMO.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010
With 2.5"of lift you should not need to change your drive shafts at all. Your profile doesn't say if you have a manual or auto. The auto is where people run into problems of the boot wearing out once lifted. I would vote for the RK. I have a 3.5" RK and I love it. As far as running 37s with this kit. I think they would fit with the 2.5" and flat fenders but I run 3.5" with flat fenders and I personally wouldn't think of running any less lift with my tires. I had to do a good bit of pinch seem trimming as it was an I think you would come into issues once full stuffed. Also with your stock D30 I would consider going as far as 35s IMO.
Completely agree. If you are considering anything bigger than a '35, you should consider getting better axels. Such as a Dana 60.
jeepingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The BDS system doesn't flex well? Doesn't really make sense. It "flexes" as much as shocks, fenders, bumpstops will allow. And how much "flex" you get should be the least of your worries.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Spike6901

2.5" and you are good to go with 35's. I would c-gusset the dana 30 and forget about 37's unless you are getting real serious. Anymore and you are going to need to put in a lot more work (driveline, exhaust mod, brake lines, gears, etc...)

Use a kit with adjustable lower control arms and a rear track bar brace/bracket at the least and coils (not spacers). Spacers work for some folks but you seem the type that wants to do it right the first time.

After addition of armor, winch and more to mine, my 2.5" short arm kit is sitting at more like 2" at most so I have the option of adding 1" spacers or so to it and with the adjustable control arms, can still make the geometry work out.

37's will require flat fenders and cutting time, not to mention the risk to your Dana 30 so consider that you will need to take care of both fitment and gusset and sleave and gears to go that big.

Don't hurry, plan it out and you will be happy. Rush it, mix and match and that is when the problems start. I have not had a single issue with my kit in 17k miles other than the occasional re-torque needed.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Maybe I can add some input. We do not sale BDS so I can't help there...

Looking at the Rock Krawler Stock Mod and Flex, the Flex will come with the front adjustable lower control arms and also longer stainless steel brake lines for the front. The front lower adjustable control arms will really help with the onroad handling and feel because it will take care of the castor issue the JK's have when you lift them. The Stock Mod will not and will feel flighty and wonder on road. Plus, with the Stock Mod, you have to at least run a front brake line relocation bracket since the stock lines are not long enough. Once again, the Flex takes care of this for you. So, looking at the RK lifts, I would not go less than the Flex.

Now, 37's are doable on your JK with the 2.5". Like guys said, to run the 37's on your D30, you will need to at least do a C gussets and sleeves would not be a bad idea. You can also do a Artec Armor Kit and will take care of all of that. To get the 37's on their, we would need to do flat fenders front and rear to. As for the suspension, I would look at the X Factor because, like has been said, it will mover the rear axle back 1" to give you more room. Now, if you go with the Flex, it can easily upgraded to the X Factor down the road. I would stay away from any type of body lift though.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any questions. We would be more than happy to help you out with this. We have a few guys on this forum that we have done 37's on a RK 2.5". Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime my friend!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sorry forgot to mention it is a 6spd. Also I only have 3.21 gears so I was going to throw in rubi takeoffs to get me my gearing. strength and lockers. Maybe someone can give feedback on this.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Rubi take off wheels and tires?

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think he was thinking a Rubi D44. Might be a hard and expensive find.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jason at Krawl Off-Road set me up with the Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel lift.
I love it! Running 37's with DIY flat fenders. Rides more stable than it did when stock.
Here it is flexing on a buddies' 39.5" tire:

Note: Pics are over a year old. Added winch, and new bumpers front & rear since then.
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't worry about the Rubi D44s. The D30 has the same Cs, tubes and such so housing strength is the same. 2.5" on 35s is best overall and will get you anywhere you need to go. Just make sure you get a proper complete 2.5" kit will all the parts. That doesn't mean you need all adjustable control arms though. 2.5" is fine with stock control arms so that you can keep your stock driveshafts..
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
scolumbo

Another satisfied customer of Jason at Krawl-Off Road. He will take care of you.
scolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
brighton
2010 JK Wrangler 

Here's my 2.5" RK Max Travel Lift, courtesy of Krawl Off-Road. To accommodate my 35's, I added EVO C gussets and the Teraflex HD tailgate hinge. Regearing to 4.88 is in my future. I'll be adding Bushwacker flatties which will easily accommodate 37's if I decide to go bigger. Sorry, I don't have a flex pic.

Unread 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to get off topic but... THANK YOU GUYS!!!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.