2.5 BB Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 BB Advice

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Theleesulivan
2012 JK Wrangler 

2.5 BB Advice

Thinking about giving my 2012 stock JKU a 2.5 BB. Need to know which one is best for me and economical. It's my everyday vehicle and will be doing some mild offroading considering I live in LA. Ive been looking at the TeraFlex BB's but I dont know which I need. The one with shock adapters, the one with shocks, or the ones without shocks. What is best for an everyday vehicle and would also like to fix the JK's rake. Thanks

Theleesulivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
02 Grand
2011 JK Wrangler 

Fortunately, when you are looking at a BB, pucks are pucks and they are all about the same. Eveyone has a brand they prefer though. I went with the Rough Country series II. The front is 2.5" and the rear pucks are 2" which levels nicely. Pucks are metal and it came with several things that are optional from the more expensive brands like the shock and brake line extensions (and rear trackbar bracket). I thought it was a very good kit for the $.

Shock entensions are good if you are going to do any wheeling. Definitely don't want the shock serving as what limits the flex.

Good luck and enjoy the modding.
In the past: 05 WK, 02 WJ
02 Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Your current shocks are sized for the travel of the stock suspension, do not get just the pucks as your stock shocks will get damaged. The better handing system will be the one with shocks. A compromise is the shock adapters, They won't flex as much but should minimize the likely hood of shock damage.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

We find that Teraflex offers the most complete and Offroad compatible BB as it does have the extended bumpstops and swaybar links as well as rear trackbar relocation bracket that most other BBs do not.
As for shock extensions, they are a good option and better then the stock shocks alone. Later down the road you can put better shocks on as the factory ones wear out.
The great thing about the TeraFlex 2.5"BB is that all the parts are the same as their 2.5" spring lift so upgrading from the spacers to springs is as simple as removing the stock spring and spacer and replacing with the new spring.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your most economical choice will be to start with something you can build off of not turn around and correct later. Don't spend money twice to accomplish the same thing. Don't buy shock extensions now if you plan on buying the correct shocks later. If you plan on adding bumpers, a winch, full size spare, or body armor, keep in mind that a coil spacer does nothing to support the added weight. If you have a base model with a soft top and no tow package, the added weight is even more of a factor. It's better to start with a coil and fine tune with a spacer.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

A budget boost is not going to fix the rake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
river2c
2014 JK Wrangler 

If you have a Rubicon, go with the shock extensions. If not, get some new shocks. The Teraflex leveling kits will correct the rake.
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
A budget boost is not going to fix the rake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Actually, RC's BB levels it out almost perfectly (2.5" front and 2" rear spacers).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs View Post
Actually, RC's BB levels it out almost perfectly (2.5" front and 2" rear spacers).
That would do it. I stand corrected.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.