2.5 AEV Lift Issues on 2012 JKU - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5 AEV Lift Issues on 2012 JKU

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
mountainkahn
2012 JK Wrangler 

2.5 AEV Lift Issues on 2012 JKU

Okay, so I just installed the 2.5 Dualsport AEV lift yesterday. HAven't yet changed out the tires, so it is still sitting on the stock 17" rims with wranglers on them... So, as I come to a stop, at least on the mountain from about 50mph, it sounds like the tires are rubbing, only when the brakes are engaged and coming to a hard stop. I don't hear it on flat, but slight incline will do it.

Anyone know what might be causing it? I've looked and I don't see any rub marks anywhere, and because I have tons of space under the Jeep now, esp. with the small wheels, I can stick my head in the wheel well. It doesn't happen all the time, but mainly when I come to a hard brake on a slight to higher incline...

Let me know your thoughts!

mountainkahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
mountainkahn
2012 JK Wrangler 

... Yes, I also got the geometry brackets...
Unread 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
chrpet14587
2012 JK Wrangler 

im not sure if you need the wheel spacers, if you look at the clearance in the rear at the sway bar links and the sway bar itself, it could be the foward motion causing the rear to shift and rub in the rear. I have the 3.5 lift and def need spacers.
Unread 06-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

i had to have spacers put on with the 3.5" kit as well. i think they're 1.5".
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Check to see if you are rubbing on the rear swaybar .

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Also I though the front geometry bracket s were not needed on the 2.5.
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
RockHard07
2007 JK Wrangler 

i am assuming that the 2012's are the same setup underneath as my 2007. stock rims do not have enough of an offset to clear longer rear sway bar links. my bet is thats where you are hearing the rubbing from. 3 solutions- buy wheel spacers, buy new rims, or take off your rear sway bar end links until you can purchase one of the above mentioned options. personally i am not a huge fan of the third option on a coil suspension but i hear alot of guys do it just be a little more cautious in the corners.
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttytruckster
They come drilled for 2.5 ,3.5 ,and 4.5. I used them on my 2.5 lift and had to use a ratchet strap to pull the axle back to line the holes up. That alone led me to believe they were needed.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
mountainkahn
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, I looked all over and haven't found any evidence of rubbing. I haven't checked the rear, however, though the sound is located near the front. I will check in the morning and update - But, I think spacers might help.

As for the brackets, it isn't needed, but it returns everything to the stock geometry. I am trying to reduce the risk of speed wobbles, as I've had them before. My offroading needs are minimal - simple ungrated fire roads and bush whacking to get to rocks for climbing amd/or hunting, so the complaints about them getting in the way for the 2.5 I don't anticipate having an issue. Not a rock crawler at all...
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you are using the stock bumper look at the front lower air dam. Since you think it's comming from the front.
I looked under mine ,granted I'm running an offset wheel but I don't see anything in the front that could rub. Maybe your brakeline if it isn't tied back enough.

Unread 06-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttytruckster View Post
It seems to be hit or miss with 2.5" lifts.

When I ran a TF 2.5" lift, the change in caster (to me) was definitely noticeable -- my JK was flighty at higher speeds. Any faster than 60mph required two hands firmly on the steering wheel at all times and even then, it still felt like you might drift into another lane.

Others with the same lift didn't experience that.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
mountainkahn
2012 JK Wrangler 

I looked all around and it doesn't seem that there is any way the tire can be rubbing. I find that it is only when there is some compression, in other words braking hard causing the front end to dip, or going over a low area hard to cause the shocks to compress -- I hope you get the idea.

The only possibility is the brake lines. I tried to move them out of the way, and it still does it in the above circumstances. I will recheck the instructions and see what I Can find.

Anyone with the 2.5 AEV lift have this problem on a 2012?
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

2012, Exhaust hitting someplace? I thought you needed to do something w/ the exhaust (use spacers, etc) on the 2012's...

although you may have done this...if you have disregard. Other than that it could be the need for wheel spacers.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, I take this as one more vote for my RK 2.5" lift.... Stock wheels and tires and you're having issues??? Why would spacers be needed to run stock?
And that being said...spacers here in Utah are illegal, so what do you do then?
I can see with the 3.5" kit maybe, but the 2.5? I seem to recall another thread a few months back complaining about AEV's 2.5" kit, can't remember the exact issue though.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #15
gills
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the AEV 2.5" with drop brackets, stock 18" Sahara rims & tires and NO issues.

I did read elsewhere about someone who had a shop install his lift, and they hadn't torqued the control arms properly, which led to noise issues.

Have you gone through and double-checked torque on every bolt that was involved?
2007 Sahara - Rescue Green, 2-Door, 6-spd, 4.10 gears & dual tops. AEV 2.5" lift, hood, drop brackets, snorkel & rear slider. Cobra 75 WX XT CB, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Rugged Ridge light bar, hydraulic hood struts, T&T Customs Adventure Series sliders & IPF 968 lights.
Waiting to be installed: River Raider breather extension, and not much else for this year...
gills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.