2.5" or 3.5" lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2.5" or 3.5" lift?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

2.5" or 3.5" lift?

Well after many many hours on the internet Ive got my build narrowed down. Im hoping to order in the next week or so so its waiting for me at home when I get back from work.

Im going to go with 35x12.50R17s. From what Ive read, a 2.5" or 3.5" lift will work for 35s easily. I do NOT want to go with a budget boost, and very high on my list is AEV.

The 2.5" AEV lift is $899 + $150 for the Procal, coming to $1050. The 3.5" AEV lift is $1675 (including Procal) but it comes with control arm drop brackets, as well as new steering components. I figure the $600 is worth it for those extra parts, but will a 3.5" lift make 35s look too tiny?

The other advantages to the 2.5" are that it won't risk voiding my warranty. The 3.5" shouldnt either according to the dealer, but thats cutting it close...a 2.5" wont risk voiding anything. The 2.5" also doesnt require exhaust modification, I believe the 3.5" does.

I considered Teraflex and Rock Krawler too, however the reviews on AEV are hard to ignore, and when you add the shocks to Rock Krawler it ends up being not that much better priced. Id prefer to just order 1 lift kit that is 100% complete.

Any pictures of 2.5" or 3.5" AEV lifts would be great too, thanks!

Unread 06-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Fluevog
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would definitely go with the 2.5 because it gives enough lift to easily clear the 35" wheels and if you go with the 3.5 it could start to look too big especially if you plan to add some sweet fender flares like I did.
Fluevog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

If the dealer wants to be a big D, he can still void your warranty for ANY lift. But only for parts affected directly, or replaced in the lift process...
The parts that you're going to affect, you're going to replace anyway. Including driveline eventually, even with a 2.5" lift.
Might as well get the more complete 3.5" system, keep your geometry perfect. The 3.5" does not look extreme at all, in fact with 35's it looks just right.
You can probably make it about a year on the stock driveline with a 3.5" lift if you don't do any extreme wheeling or drive major amounts.
I would get what you want without going real extreme (over 4") and not worry about the warranty. The tires are going to by far be the bigger warranty issue and you're going with 35's either way.
Plus....you can always TELL them you went with the 2.5" kit. Actual height varies based on vehicle, they will not know which lift you put on unless you tell them.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

I would look more toward the 2.5" lifts. Either way, you will need to run atleast the Teraflex exhaust spacer kit. No big deal and not a ton of money. The main thing with the 3.5" lift though is you will need to look at swapping out the front drive shaft, espcially on the 2012. You can get away with not doing this on the 2.5" lifts. Also, the 2.5" lift will "fit" the 35's better.

Now, if your looking at the AEV 2.5", you REALLY want the drop brackets. This will help with the onroad feel. One draw back to the AEV lifts is they are not that easly upgradable and the 2.5" does not come with a front track bar for some reason... A good kit to compair this to is the Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex System. We can help you put together a package, "1 lift kit that is 100% complete" type setup. Unlike the AEV, the Rock Krawler lifts are 100% upgradable. So, when you see yourself tackling harder trails or swapping the 35's for 37's or 40's down the road, you dont have to dump the entire lift and start over! They both however (AEV with the drop brackets) preform nice both on and off road.

If there is anything we can do to help or if you have any questions, feel free to let us know my friend!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Fluevog
2012 JK Wrangler 

You could also look into the Old man emu 2.5" kit. Thats what I have and it is fantastic on and off the road. And since you can't decide between the 2.5 and 3.5 I have good news, the OME 2.5" gives you 3" of lift. So look into it.

I don't believe there is a kit, but i made one by ordering all the parts. And i got it all for about $900
Coils(heavy)
Shocks
Adjustable front track bar
Rear track bar relocation brackets
Heavy duty steering stabilizer
Unread 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am still a newbie but waded through all the BS and ended up with an RK2.5Flex Lift, I ended up with ~ 3.0". I also have 35" tires. I also added Fox IFP 2-4" shocks. I really love the stance.

Orange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluevog View Post
You could also look into the Old man emu 2.5" kit. Thats what I have and it is fantastic on and off the road. And since you can't decide between the 2.5 and 3.5 I have good news, the OME 2.5" gives you 3" of lift. So look into it.

I don't believe there is a kit, but i made one by ordering all the parts. And i got it all for about $900
Coils(heavy)
Shocks
Can you post a picture?
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Fluevog
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
Can you post a picture?
Of course I love to please! This is the Old Man Emu 2.5" coils (netted around 3") with 35" tires and bushwacker flat fender flares.
red-jeep-4.jpg   red-jeep-3.jpg  
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

2.5 TF w/ AEV Control arm brackets here... Rides great...did the lift myself, just took it to get aligned and they needed to adjust toe a little bit after the lift. Not too shabby.

Edit: talk to jason @ krawl offroad (RK stuff + all around cool guy that will answer your questions day and night) or northridge 4x4 (For TF/ OME quotes). Both offer JF discounts....and I still owe Jason a beer for getting me Ace rock sliders cheaper than factory direct.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
2.5 TF w/ AEV Control arm brackets here... Rides great...did the lift myself, just took it to get aligned and they needed to adjust toe a little bit after the lift. Not too shabby.
Any pictures? Are you running 35s?

I think if I do go with a 2.5" lift, regardless of the make, I'll order AEV's control arm brackets as well.

Fluevog - thanks, looks great! What website did you order all the OME parts?
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Check out the link below in my sig... Very close they measure 34/11.75ish. Last few pages probably have the best pics w/ the lift.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Fluevog
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I think if I do go with a 2.5" lift, regardless of the make, I'll order AEV's control arm brackets as well.

Fluevog - thanks, looks great! What website did you order all the OME parts?
Thanks and I ordered them from 4 wheel parts. If you decide to go this route make sure you get the heavy version of the 2.5" coils. And forgot one oter thing you need a steering stabilizer relocation bracket (very cheap). Then if you go back to my previous post you can see my list of everything you need. I highly suggest getting everything on that list if you want the best ride quality and safety. And adding those drop brackets from aev will help even more.
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
TripleJeep_99
2008 JK Wrangler 

I went with the OME HD (2") lift...netted me just a touch over 3" of lift with my bumpers and winch mounted. Couldn't be happier with this lift.

08 Sahara Van/6spd - 3:73 gearing/35x12.50R17 STT's/LoD bumpers/OME HD Coilspring lift/AEV snorkel & AFe drop-in filter/Warn XD9000i/Superchips
TripleJeep_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Gregg79CJ7304
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluevog View Post

Coils(heavy)
Shocks
I'm going with the 2 1/2 OME lift as well. Have only heard great things about their products.
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Fluevog
2012 JK Wrangler 

Blstr88, when you hear OME 2" and OME 2.25" and OME 2.5", they are all the same coils just called differently from different sites. And the "HD" means heavy version. Triple Jeep 99 sweet looking ride I love the bushwackers, I have the same.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.