1997 TJ clutch vs. 2013 JK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 TJ clutch vs. 2013 JK

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
mummaG_207
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, 5 speed not 4 speed

mummaG_207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #17
Cosmobull
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's 100% the drive by wire- it takes all the feel out of it. I traded off my manual for an auto because of it but you can get a chip that increases the throttle response I can't remember the name of it but you can buy it from quadratec.
Cosmobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
horaceunit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmobull View Post
It's 100% the drive by wire- it takes all the feel out of it. I traded off my manual for an auto because of it but you can get a chip that increases the throttle response I can't remember the name of it but you can buy it from quadratec.
I may have to find out what the chip is because I actually had the unthinkable thought that I should have gotten an auto vs. the manual too (bad jeeper, BAD!)! The difference is still obvious after 3 weeks now. As much as I had to go through for this JK and having a 4 year loan I figure I am going to have to make due for awhile.
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
AZBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmobull View Post
I have searched high and low on Quadratec and can't find anything for a Pentastar chip. Can you provide a link?
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I also recently got a sport w\ 6 speed. 3.73 rear end. I am learning to drive a stick all over again, too. It seems so unpredictable sometimes. Sometimes it's as smooth a ride as can be, other times is jerky as can be. I can't figure out what I'm doing when it's jerky v. smooth. Kind of annoying.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
mummaG_207
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis
I also recently got a sport w\ 6 speed. 3.73 rear end. I am learning to drive a stick all over again, too. It seems so unpredictable sometimes. Sometimes it's as smooth a ride as can be, other times is jerky as can be. I can't figure out what I'm doing when it's jerky v. smooth. Kind of annoying.
Have you tried to creep along in 4hi or 4low? When I did it felt like I had to give it gas which obviously makes it accelerate much faster than I want to creep.
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I had the same result! I read you could start in first and second with no clutch, it wasn't a very impressive result.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

4lo in 1st is hard as hell to stall. Maybe a difference in the 3.8 and 3.6?

I haven't tried the restart without the clutch deal.
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
mummaG_207
2013 JK Wrangler 

To be honest. I got nervous and asked the hubbie to drive and he told me he tried both but think we were in 4hi...good reason to try again (he didn't want to take the jeep on it's maiden mud voyage out of respect to me cuz it's my jeep).
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pentastar and 4.10's here. Very very tough to stall in 4 low. Starting without the clutch can be handy if you're in a bit of water.

I can't compare this to other vehicles as I learned stick on this, but I'm sure you'll get a hang of it pretty quickly!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #26
kflood171

It's partially the drive by wire and partially the hill assist. All the 2013 wranglers come with hill assist that allows you not to roll backward for a few seconds while stopped on a hill {when on trail its annoying}. It'll hold for a short time then let go, or let go sooner if you hit the throttle. It's a super touchy clutch until you wear it in a little as well, but you will get used to it. I came from my ax-15 to my new wrangler, and now I have almost 3k on the clock the clutch feels smooth as butter.
kflood171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

^^That is the kind of news I want to hear. I can tell it is smoothing out some. The first night driving around, my wife got car sick lol. (She gets sick in the car easily, though.) I only have 700 miles on mine, so maybe I just need to give it more time. It sure is fun, though
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
Michel347

Same here, it took me time to get used to it. Now after 3000km I'm fine.
Michel347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #29
ssteacher95
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horaceunit View Post
I may have to find out what the chip is because I actually had the unthinkable thought that I should have gotten an auto vs. the manual too (bad jeeper, BAD!)! The difference is still obvious after 3 weeks now. As much as I had to go through for this JK and having a 4 year loan I figure I am going to have to make due for awhile.
I was embarrassed at how many times I stalled my 13 JK, but I've had it for 2 months now and no stalls in the last 3 or 4 weeks, haven't done any serious wheeling though. (Not that I ever have, this is my first Jeep. I plan to start wheeling with a friend who just traded in his lifted FJ for a 2013 Sport.)
ssteacher95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteacher95 View Post
I was embarrassed at how many times I stalled my 13 JK, but I've had it for 2 months now and no stalls in the last 3 or 4 weeks, haven't done any serious wheeling though. (Not that I ever have, this is my first Jeep. I plan to start wheeling with a friend who just traded in his lifted FJ for a 2013 Sport.)
Just remember in 4lo you won't need as much clutch as you think you do at first. You end up burning it up and jumping forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.