1997 TJ clutch vs. 2013 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 1997 TJ clutch vs. 2013 JK

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
mummaG_207
2013 JK Wrangler 

1997 TJ clutch vs. 2013 JK

Disclaimer: I am not technical but learning

The clutch in my new JK (2013 6 speed manual 3.21 ratio) is totally different than my 1997 TJ 4 speed manual (bought used)

Does anyone know why? Is it b/c it's new? or something has technically changed between the models?

thoughts helpful as I feel like I'm learning to drive a clutch all over again. took it off road yesterday and stalled a ton of times as I learn to climb hills again (in 4WD 4 hi and out of it)

Thanks!

mummaG_207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What do you mean by different? The JK is a hydraulic clutch, was the TJ cable?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
mummaG_207
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer
What do you mean by different? The JK is a hydraulic clutch, was the TJ cable?
That might be my answer. I seem to struggle with feathering the clutch and it seems more sensitive than the tj.
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
mummaG_207
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'll start to educate myself on hydraulic vs cable.
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

It may be the hydraulic clutch plus fly by wire throttle, it may be the rather low 3.21 gears compared to maybe a 3.73 in your last jeep (last jeep may have had 3.21s also), also many have stated the 3.6l having a different clutch compared to past jeeps. Id say it reminds me more of a cars rather than truck.
All in all hope you re learn quickly
awinski is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
dciman

Both have hydro clutches.

Your TJ clutch was probably worn a bit and the new JK is likely feels really grabby. You just need some time on it.
dciman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
horaceunit
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am dealing with the same thing. My TJ was a 4 banger and had the 4.10 gears and the new sport has 3.21's and I think that makes some difference. My only real issue with the JK is 1st gear, I seem to want to let out the clutch too fast without enough gas pedal and have stalled it a couple of times in the past 3 weeks. My TJ seemed a bit more forgiving as far as the clutch was concerned. On the TJ, however, I had to be going slowly enough to downshift from 3rd to second (hardest gear to downshift to was 2nd) and then from 2nd to 1st. With the JK I can go from any higher gear directly to first with no problem or resistence. I also don't seem as inclined to downshift and use the clutch for braking which I did with the TJ as a matter of course. On the other hand I did a full brake job on the TJ and had to pretty much compeletly rebuild the rear drums so I think I was protective of those darn drum brakes!
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Its the drive by wire.Youll get used to it in time.
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

TJ hydraulic for sure. Broke one at a drive thru. Guess I didn't need the chicken nuggets after all.

Have a TJ and a JKU, drive them both frequently. The drive by wire is definitely different but the clutch and engage point feels different as well. You do get used to it though.
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
horaceunit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hopefully both me and the OP will get used to it in time! It is a lot smoother shifting I know that!
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

There are also "flash" programmers available to make the throttle response more immediate.

On my 2008, I've tweaked the "wire" to a more responsive setting (Flashpaq), along with tire size/pressure and driving style.

Just a thought...

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
mummaG_207
2013 JK Wrangler 

New to this......

Flash?
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

There are several brands of little computer-type boxes you can connect (Flashpaq, pro-cal, Diablo, etc), that override stock settings (since everything is computer driven). I have my speedometer gauged to bigger than stock tires, for example. (they're detached when you're done)

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
COStrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dciman
Both have hydro clutches.

Your TJ clutch was probably worn a bit and the new JK is likely feels really grabby. You just need some time on it.
True but the JK clutch has barely any "feel" at all. That's the issue that is most problematic in learning the clutch on these babies. I stall mine all the time. Partly because I need to re-gear, partly just operator error. Lol
COStrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
AZBob

I didn't like the clutch engagement on a new JK test drive last year. I'm sure I could have adjusted to it but it nevertheless seemed inferior to my 03. There was certainly no such "adjustment" period getting used to the 03. It was comfortable from the very first drive.

A 97 TJ would have been a 5 speed originally. I wonder how yours got a 4 speed, and where it came from?
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.