18.5 gal tank? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 18.5 gal tank?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

18.5 gal tank?

Why in my manual and everywhere online I read it says the 2dr has a 18.5 gal tank? Ive ran my down to where the MTE says 10 miles and it takes 14.5 when I fill it up. I know gas mileage isnt great, but i know 4 gal doesnt equal 10 miles.

ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
ncb

My unlimited does the same thing. It has around five or six gallons of fuel left when the fuel light comes on and the display eventually shows LO. I normally don't let the tank get below half so it's not a big deal.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

I dont know how big the tank is, but the MTE isnt always right. It is usually close..but you never know. I havnt tried it on the jeep, but in other cars i have had i have done 20-30+ miles on 0 miles left.
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Running out of fuel is bad. I fill up when I drop below 1/2 unless I am on a long trip and I will go to 1/4 tank bofore stopping.
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6tt View Post
Why in my manual and everywhere online I read it says the 2dr has a 18.5 gal tank? Ive ran my down to where the MTE says 10 miles and it takes 14.5 when I fill it up. I know gas mileage isnt great, but i know 4 gal doesnt equal 10 miles.
i ran my 2door down one time so low that it actually took 17.8 gallons to fill. but i swear the fuel guage was below the red line for two days.

typically, i fill it when its right on the red line and it takes right around 15 gallons.

personally, i like it set up like that. i'd rather overfill then run out of fuel.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Even not counting the MTE, im looking at the gal on the pump itself. I let it go till the light is on and im putting between 13.5 and 14 in each time. Like I said I know for a fact that the MTE isnt off so bad that im actually only getting around 10 miles to the gallon. MTE says 16-18mpg and thats on par with what im putting into the tank v how many miles ive gone.
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

according to the manual, the low fuel comes on when there is 2 gallons left.

That being said. The manual says the 4dr has a 21.5 gallon capacity. The most I've ever been able to put in the tank (after the low fuel light came on) was 18 gallons.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

The most I have ever put in my 2 door was 17.7, the gauge was well below the red line and the DTE had said "LO" for a couple days. I kept expecting it to run out but I finally stopped at a gas station.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

maybe mine is turning on with 4 gal to go instead of 2. but that would make the MTE off by 7-8 mpg and i cannot imagine it is off by that much.
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
torpex77
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a 4 door.

My biggest fill-up is 20.926 gallons.
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6tt View Post
maybe mine is turning on with 4 gal to go instead of 2. but that would make the MTE off by 7-8 mpg and i cannot imagine it is off by that much.
MTE is by no means exact. It goes by an average consumption rate. So if you do a lot of highway miles, the average consumption rate will be higher. A lot of city driving and the average will be lower. But again, it is supposed to turn on when you get down to 2 gallons. When you have 2 gallons left, it calculates how far you "might" get based on the current average. So if you've been doing a lot of highway mileage it might think you're going to get 36-40 miles out of that 2 gallons. But if your average is a lot of city miles, it might think you are going to get 25 miles our of that 2 gallons.

Basically- do not trust the MTE because it has no way of predicting what your lead foot will be doing

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Ravik
2010 JK Wrangler 

Also, being as it is pretty hard on the modern car to run it out of fuel (burn out the fuel pump, screw up your injectors, etc.), it seems like the manufacturers tune the gas gauge to read 'empty' when there's still a couple gallons left - just to keep folks who refuse to stop for gas from ringing up several hundred in repairs.

It's a Jeep, gas up often as you'll never know how far the next station will be from the mountain you're currently on top of.
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would agree that the MTE is not exact, and I have seen some in other vehicles drastically change due to the current style of driving, trying to "estimate" how long you have.

Also I can see it purposely set lower, so that you will get gas and not let it run out....

¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
chumpmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
JWA

Being a Jeep that may/is likely to be driven off road potentially miles away from the nearest fueling station, they set the gauge(s) to read low.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
yukonmuscle
2009 JK Wrangler 

The most ive ever put in the jeep is 19.5 gallons, 74L up here in the great white north.... sorta. Ran 50km with the fuel light on one night, 2km shy of the gas station, it was 700+ km between stations where i was travelling and i only took one extra 20L can with me. I always thought the tanks were 70L?

Tags
fuel capacity , JK Wrangler , lo fuel light , mileage , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.