16w cube leds into stock fog harness... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 16w cube leds into stock fog harness...

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdMarch Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 04-04-2015, 01:21 AM   #1
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

16w cube leds into stock fog harness...

These lights have become the bane of my existence over the past few months. The original wiring harness failed me somehow, after 6 months. Because the fuse kept blowing I assumed it was a short, but a visual inspection showed me nothing. (theres a thread somewhere) I gave up on the entire harness, thinking it would be easier to wire into the stock fog harness.

I ended up clipping the stock harness end and tying the wires in. black to black, red to white. this is before the blue wire is spliced in. it still doesnt work, and all threads ive seen are no help, because i understand none of them. what am i still doing wrong? 16w is definitely under the 55w canbus limit... ill try to get a pic up but im at my wits end with this ****

Unread 04-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
02 Grand
2015 JK Wrangler 

Don't know specifically what's going wrong, but I think you could save yourself a lot of frustration with a $20 relay kit. The fog circuit would just be powering the relay and the lights would get power direct from the battery. That takes all the weak point out of the mix.
Unread 04-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Nothing magic about this. Confirm you have power & ground at the stock harness wires, mark or note which is which. Then confirm sane on the LED. Match pos to pos, Neg to neg. Beaus to solder & heat shrink the individual wires, then protect the harness with conduit. Be sure to match the fuse rating with the LED manufacturers recommendation, not the factory fog light rating. If it's still blowing fuses you have a short or arc somewhere.
Unread 04-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

The stock fog lights are CANBUS wires. Some guys have been successful with tapping the power to control a relay. But some still get flickering. I, personally, would not tap into a CANBUS wire. For the very reason you're experiencing. And LEDs are directional, hook them up backward and nada. Afterall, they are diodes.

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

The black wire on most LEDs is the +12V lead wire and white is ground. It would have been nice if the LED light industry followed the red =12V and black = ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.